This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2020: The Hunt For Red October

I think that Maine will find a way to screw this up.

You score 2 goals a game, that'll do it, usually.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      I think that Maine will find a way to screw this up.

You score 2 goals a game, that'll do it, usually.
      Lol, can’t disagree
      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Let's see. Leaman 20-1-1 against Gendron. Even though Maine lost only one home game this season I would bet Leaman will have a plan and will have his team ready to play. Gendron? Maybe.

Comment

Not to make this a hobby horse, but did anyone see what the baseball team "accomplished" this past weekend at Louisiana Tech? Lost 5-1, 15-10, 19-0, 26-3.

Now 0-10 on the season. The softball team beat winless Coppin State to get to 2-7. Neither team they have beat have won a game this year.

What the heck are we doing this for?

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
            Not to make this a hobby horse, but did anyone see what the baseball team "accomplished" this past weekend at Louisiana Tech? Lost 5-1, 15-10, 19-0, 26-3.

Now 0-10 on the season. The softball team beat winless Coppin State to get to 2-7. Neither team they have beat have won a game this year.

What the heck are we doing this for?
            What do you suggest? Quit? Fold up the programs? C’mon. OK they stink right now itd be totally irresponsible to just wipe out teams that have been around for 150 years.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
              What do you suggest? Quit? Fold up the programs? C’mon. OK they stink right now itd be totally irresponsible to just wipe out teams that have been around for 150 years.
              Back when the teams were successful, the rules were much more equitable to northern teams. The season started later, and there was a true Northeast Regional. Now the southeast and western teams start playing in February and gobble up all the regional spots.

So, yes, fold them up. They are going to continue to stink forever and short of moving the school to Orlando there isn't anything we can do about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by AMC View Post
                Back when the teams were successful, the rules were much more equitable to northern teams. The season started later, and there was a true Northeast Regional. Now the southeast and western teams start playing in February and gobble up all the regional spots.

So, yes, fold them up. They are going to continue to stink forever and short of moving the school to Orlando there isn't anything we can do about it.
                I don't know about shuttering the programs, but at least stop this ridiculous "barnstorming" trek across the South they do every spring that they come back home from sporting a record of 0-20 every spring. It must cost a lot of money, I know baseball has some very wealthy and very powerful donors on their side, but come on.

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                  Lol, can’t disagree
                  So Maine stays at #15 in both PWR and USCHO poll. They’re lucky to have stayed there after loss to PC. I watched the game. Rather uninspiring play. The transition game was awful IMHO. For both teams. Goaltending was good on both sides. Maine didn’t play like much of anything is at stake. This confuses and confounds the sheet out of me. They had spurts of good passing/good shooting/good defense but very inconsistent. 5 months into the season shouldn’t produce “inconsistent “.
                  NOTE: Watching the BC-BU game immediately after, the passing, the flow, the pace was WAY better. Maybe it’s the hype of BC-BU. I don’t know but it was noticeable.

The upcoming PC game, guys like JSS, Shea, Tralmax, Smitty, Drobot the Robot, Poisson all ABSOLUTELY need to step up. BIG game. Fossier, Sway, Dawe, Doherty they pretty much always step up. The team has shown guts, determination, extra punch time and again this season. Not every game but often. Which is why on March 2 we are even discussing HEA home ice or NCAA possibilities. That is the one huge thing that will generate a win Friday at Alfond. A performance like Saturday’s against PC will not cut it.
                  Last edited by DoubleA; 03-02-2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                    I don't know about shuttering the programs, but at least stop this ridiculous "barnstorming" trek across the South they do every spring that they come back home from sporting a record of 0-20 every spring. It must cost a lot of money, I know baseball has some very wealthy and very powerful donors on their side, but come on.
                    That's the problem, what else would they do? Start the season in April and play 30 fewer games than the rest of the nation? Conference playoffs are in the middle of May. The NCAAs start the next weekend. By the time Maine would be ready to play, the season would essentially be over.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                      IMO the rules are far more equitable now than when every region was guaranteed a bid. Now, the CWS field is essentially chosen on merit alone.

Having said that, it was a hell of a lot more fun when a Maine or a LeMoyne or a St. John's was in Omaha, and that possibility certainly had to help with recruiting up here.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-02-2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                        Lol, can’t disagree
                        I take it back on Tralmax. He almost always shows up. He’s 3rd leading scorer on the team and could easily be 1st. But he inexplicably goes radio silent from time to time. Case in point: 0-0-0 in 3 of the last 4 games. I no capiche.
                        Last edited by DoubleA; 03-02-2020, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          No. Maine has to win. Then Lowell has to beat UConn
                          4 Maine
                          5 UConn

OR UConn defeats Lowell AND BU sweeps Northeastern so all teams have 27 points
                          4 Maine
                          5 BU
                          6 Lowell

If Lowell and UConn tie it matters not what Maine does.
                          3 Lowell
                          4 UConn
                          5 Maine (if Maine wins)

If UConn wins but BU doesn't sweep NU then
                          3 UConn
                          4 Lowell
                          5 Maine (if Maine wins)
                          What are the tiebreakers after head to head record?
                          bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                          SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                          All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                          A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

HOCKEY EAST TIEBREAKERS
                            (Only Applied At End Of Regular Season)

At the conclusion of the regular season, teams will be ranked by the number of points accumulated. If two teams are tied for first place, they will be declared co-champions.

For playoff seeding purposes, the following tiebreakers will be used at the conclusion of the regular season

1. Head-to-head results between the tied teams

2. Number of wins in conference play

3. Best record against the first-place team(s), then the second-place team(s), then the third-place team(s), and so on

4. Coin flip

If more than two teams finish in a tie, the same criteria will be applied to reduce the number of teams tied, and then the process will commence again. In the event that teams have an uneven amount of games against other opponents in a three-way (or more) tie, winning percentage will be the tiebreaker.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                              What are the tiebreakers after head to head record?
                              Lowell and Connecticut both have the tiebreaker vs. Maine. Maine has the tiebreaker vs. BU.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                                I take it back on Tralmax. He almost always shows up. He’s 3rd leading scorer on the team and could easily be 1st. But he inexplicably goes radio silent from time to time. Case in point: 0-0-0 in 3 of the last 4 games. I no capiche.
                                He has been on the third line a lot lately. Shea has been playing in his place on the first line. I think they chose balanced lines over loading the top line. I know I would rather have Tralmaks on the first line. But others have voiced they think it is better with balanced lines. I tend to think if you can give your best shot at scoring five on five, then with Swayman you will be in the games and win most. Of course, the players need to play with discipline and avoid giving up too many power plays.

Comment

Working...
                                X