X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2020: The Hunt For Red October

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    The main reason was Swayman...he rode him for all he was worth this season...it earned Swayman accolades plus and Gendron won because of it...if Coach of the Year was a GOAL SCORED...by Gendron...the primary and secondary assist would be credited to Swayman..!!
    The only reason was Jeremy.

Red really had nothing to do with it, aside from (somehow) recruiting him.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

I am pretty sure that is what I said...………….

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        I am pretty sure that is what I said...………….
        Not arguing, just agreeing.

I can't imagine why Red was voted COTY.

He had assembled his typically sub-mediocre team, but Swayman made that look better than it reasonably should have.

Next year, back to truly lousy.

Comment

He had assembled his typically sub-mediocre team, but Swayman made that look better than it reasonably should have.

I think someone alluded to it in a previous post. What is the likelihood of another goal tender stepping into the lineup next year and performing like Swayman? Without a Swayman in net this team will struggle to finish higher than 8th, While there defense and penalty kill has been good and may continue next year, their offensive skill in handling the puck, scoring and speed is lacking. It's always fun to speculate about next years incoming players and how awesome they are going to be, but until they prove their ability on Division 1 ice it's total speculation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

The other coaches werent smart enough to tell their goalies to make all the saves

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

In my opinion, as far as next year goes, I don't actually think Maine will fall off all that much. Obviously losing Swayman hurts bad, but I believe that they will have two solid DI goalies next season. Neither of them individually will match up to Swayman, of course, but I don't think goaltending will become a weakness for Maine. Convincing Dohrety or Tralmaks to stay will be the most important thing, as keeping one of them I think will allow the offense to stay close to where it stands, as Breen looks like a top prospect out of USHL and Villeneuve can add goal scoring touch, based on his stats. The defense stands to lose nobody and add some talent like Gould, so it stands to at the very least be the same or improve. I don't think Maine's performance will dip that much next year, and they'll still be a solid team.

The problem for Maine is that nearly every other team in Hockey East stands to improve next year. BC is retaining Newhook and Knight and will bring in a strong class, as always. UMass has established themselves as a power. The safe bet would be on Leaman and Providence rebounding next year, same goes for Northeastern who's bringing in a strong class. Bazin and his RiverHawks will always hang around and be competitive. Even BU, who seems to be one of the teams closer to Maine's position, is bringing a Knight-tier goalie next year, which was their biggest weakness this year. And at the bottom of the conference, Merrimack had a top-10 recruiting class this past year and those players will keep gaining experience and improve, they lost a lot of close games. UNH is bringing in a big class this year with some decent pieces. And even Vermont might be better with the boost of morale from a new coach.

So the bottom line, in my opinion, is that in a vaccum, Maine will probably only be slightly worse next year than this year. The problem is gonna end up being that all the teams around them improved and surpassed them.

Comment

The odds of getting 940 goaltending two years in a row are infintesimal.

As it was Maine was third to last in the league in total goals. Their goal differential in league play was even (56-56). If the 2 new goalies combine for a .920, which is pretty good, the differential drops to -10. Not a recipe for a real good season.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  The odds of getting 940 goaltending two years in a row are infintesimal.

As it was Maine was third to last in the league in total goals. Their goal differential in league play was even (56-56). If the 2 new goalies combine for a .920, which is pretty good, the differential drops to -10. Not a recipe for a real good season.
                  The voice of reason.

Nice job.

Comment

How exhausting is it constantly hating the team you're a fan of? I've been reading this forum for years without posting. You disappear whenever they go on a winning streak and popped champagne every time they lost. You clearly hate this team, why do you still follow them? Red/his future replacement could win 40 games and a Natty and you'd be crying that they didn't win 42.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackbear27 View Post
                      How exhausting is it constantly hating the team you're a fan of? I've been reading this forum for years without posting. You disappear whenever they go on a winning streak and popped champagne every time they lost. You clearly hate this team, why do you still follow them? Red/his future replacement could win 40 games and a Natty and you'd be crying that they didn't win 42.
                      +1

Comment

Originally posted by blackbear27 View Post
                        Complete BS.

I haven't liked the direction in which this program has been going for years now, and for valid reasons. Am I supposed to break out the pom-poms when the program has been swirling around the drain for years and years? That wouldn't make me a "fan", that would make me an idiot.

I'm not going to jump up and down when a set of circumstances blinds you to that fact. This team is no better than the several previous teams. It was a quirk of the PW that Maine was even in the conversation.

I'll take 40 wins anytime, but only a moron would expect that out of Red. (Hell, look for 20 wins before you get that far ahead of yourself). I just want Maine to be truly competitive again, and if that makes me seem disloyal to you, you're barking up the wrong tree via any evidence-based calculus.

Anyway, stay healthy. There are much bigger fish to fry right now than than the ongoing Maine futility.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 03-23-2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

FISHMAN*81 is one of the biggest UMaine sports fans around...he tells it like it is...and some like it and some don't.

Comment

Lots of us have been around before the Alfond was built. Yet somehow you can't be a good fan unless you constantly sing the praises of the team? This years team was both frustrating and fun. They beat some good teams, lost to some teams they should have beaten but I think for all of us they exceeded expectations. While the world is in turmoil Maine hockey is a welcome distraction. I think their are folks( me included ) who are hard on the team at times. We long for the days of glory but even then we ******ed at things we thought should have gone different. Right now I'm just hoping we have a hockey season next year. Like to think I'll be back whining about losing and having fun if they once again exceed expectations. Be healthy fellow Maine fans.
                            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Lots of us have been around before the Alfond was built. Yet somehow you can't be a good fan unless you constantly sing the praises of the team? This years team was both frustrating and fun. They beat some good teams, lost to some teams they should have beaten but I think for all of us they exceeded expectations. While the world is in turmoil Maine hockey is a welcome distraction. I think their are folks( me included ) who are hard on the team at times. We long for the days of glory but even then we ******ed at things we thought should have gone different. Right now I'm just hoping we have a hockey season next year. Like to think I'll be back whining about losing and having fun if they once again exceed expectations. Be healthy fellow Maine fans.
                              You nailed it...is it OCTOBER yet..?..!!!

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                                In my opinion, as far as next year goes, I don't actually think Maine will fall off all that much. Obviously losing Swayman hurts bad, but I believe that they will have two solid DI goalies next season. Neither of them individually will match up to Swayman, of course, but I don't think goaltending will become a weakness for Maine. Convincing Dohrety or Tralmaks to stay will be the most important thing, as keeping one of them I think will allow the offense to stay close to where it stands, as Breen looks like a top prospect out of USHL and Villeneuve can add goal scoring touch, based on his stats. The defense stands to lose nobody and add some talent like Gould, so it stands to at the very least be the same or improve. I don't think Maine's performance will dip that much next year, and they'll still be a solid team.

The problem for Maine is that nearly every other team in Hockey East stands to improve next year. BC is retaining Newhook and Knight and will bring in a strong class, as always. UMass has established themselves as a power. The safe bet would be on Leaman and Providence rebounding next year, same goes for Northeastern who's bringing in a strong class. Bazin and his RiverHawks will always hang around and be competitive. Even BU, who seems to be one of the teams closer to Maine's position, is bringing a Knight-tier goalie next year, which was their biggest weakness this year. And at the bottom of the conference, Merrimack had a top-10 recruiting class this past year and those players will keep gaining experience and improve, they lost a lot of close games. UNH is bringing in a big class this year with some decent pieces. And even Vermont might be better with the boost of morale from a new coach.

So the bottom line, in my opinion, is that in a vaccum, Maine will probably only be slightly worse next year than this year. The problem is gonna end up being that all the teams around them improved and surpassed them.
                                I would also add Connecticut to the list of teams who should improve next year. Very young team with talent and their goal tender Tomas Vomacka will be returning. They do lose some scoring in departures of Freeman (Falmouth, Maine), Howell, Newpower and Payusov.

Comment

Working...
                                X