• Show
Clear All

Re: nCoV 2019-2020 Outbreak

Planet's over.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
      Planet's over.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        But, correct me if I'm wrong, the vast majority of the decrease in outbreaks in warmer weather is because people are less holed-up inside, not because the sun is baking the virus away.
        Most people work inside in close proximity to others regardless of weather though

I’m cooped up with 1,500 other primates 48 weeks a year
        Last edited by BassAle; 02-10-2020, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          We could compare our frequent flyer balances since we both have had the same occupation
          "Is that an Amex Platinum card or are you just happy to see me?"

Note: That line might actually be a successful opener in a Moscow nightclub

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            Planet's over.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              Most people work inside in close proximity to others regardless of weather though

A much bigger deal is when all of the small petri dishes are finished with school. A big step for them is to be able to go outside during the day, then more time away from school, and then school's out. Kids get sick a lot easier and tend to be the faster spreader than adults. Especially since they have not developed any people avoidance tendencies at that age.

Heck, spring break is a big deal stopping kids getting sick- when then has a massive impact on the general population.

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/h...rch/05flu.html

As for the crowding argument, Dr. McCullers said, “That never made sense.” People work all year round and crowd into buses and subways and planes no matter what the season.
                Kids are in school until June, but cold and flu season has already subsided.
                Last edited by BassAle; 02-10-2020, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by psych View Post
                  Bingo bango. Closer quarters = easier for infected people to spread the virus via coughing/sneezing.
                  See: cruise ships.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                    See: cruise ships.
                    Obviously close quarters = more opportunities for transmission.

However, for the average person work and travel (bus, airplane, subway) is by far the largest opportunity and is pretty consistent regardless of weather.

The cold weather = cooped up as being the driver of flu season doesn’t stand up. There is scientific evidence that shows low humidity and low temperatures are key to the spread of flu (and I assume Coronavirus)

Anyway, Trump is actually right if he says that some people think higher humidity and temperatures will help get Coronavirus under control because there is scientific evidence that says so.
                    Last edited by BassAle; 02-10-2020, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Obviously close quarters = more opportunities for transmission.

However, for the average person work and travel is by far the largest opportunity and is pretty consistent regardless of weather.

The cold weather = cooped up as being the driver of flu season doesn’t stand up.
                      After reading the NYT article posted here, and a few more I found on my own volition, it’s obvious the close quarters theory only tells a small fraction of the story. I made the mistake of accepting my school textbooks’ explanation, and not doing my own research on the subject. Thank you, USCHO, for guiding me to a deeper understanding of how the certain viruses spread. Fascinating stuff.

Comment

All in all, it's effing scary. Each new outbreak of a supervirus seems to be getting worse. Mutations,etc, holy hannah. Mother Nature will always win in the long run. Ugh.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Right, but more people travel during the winter, we have tons of holiday parties where work and social circles merge, and we have parties exclusively in enclosed areas where aerosolized infectious agents can linger instead of being scattered.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

https://www.cnnphilippines.com/world...ronavirus.html

Truth silenced again: An outspoken citizen is missing in Wuhan days after another died

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Right, but more people travel during the winter, we have tons of holiday parties where work and social circles merge, and we have parties exclusively in enclosed areas where aerosolized infectious agents can linger instead of being scattered.
                              You guys can believe whatever you want, but there is peer reviewed scientific research that suggests it’s the temperature and humidity that are the primary drivers of flu season, not peoples’ travel schedule or the office Christmas party.

Comment

You guys can believe whatever you want, but there is peer reviewed scientific research that suggests it’s the temperature and humidity that are the primary drivers of flu season, not peoples’ travel schedule or the office Christmas party.
                                That would imply that in places like Miami and all the Caribbean, the flu would not be a big deal. Somehow it is. Puerto Rico is always hot and always humid- and they still have flu problems. And ships that sail in the Caribbean are constantly in the same hot and very humid air, and they, too, have flu issues.

There may be evidence, but the other evidence suggests that there is something else going on other than heat and humidity. Correlation is not causation.

Comment

Working...
                                X