This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by geezer
    I appreciate the intelligence and actual compassion which you embody that stirs up this impulse in the era of Trump's destruction, but I humbly suggest trying to keep a lid on it, and especially if you work publicly in health care. "Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
    I do not speak freely like this in any other facet of my life, so rest be assured.

Unlike some elected officials I can actually treat people with respect when needed. I am also not employed in public health
    Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 02-25-2020, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Re: nCoV 2019-2020 Outbreak

And if I’ve offended people, I apologize as I wasn’t serious. I’m not in a good place after the calls I’ve been on today about this.

I’d delete it, but given that you’ve quoted it, won’t do any good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
        And if I’ve offended people, I apologize as I wasn’t serious. I’m not in a good place after the calls I’ve been on today about this.

I’d delete it, but given that you’ve quoted it, won’t do any good.
        I read it more as blowing off some steam and wasn’t offended. We’ve all been there.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          I read it more as blowing off some steam and wasn’t offended. We’ve all been there.
          Thanks. I’ve got some students stranded in South Korea right now.

I’m supposed to fly to Asia in a few days- have to decide if I’m going and risk being quarantined
          Last edited by Deutsche Gopher Fan; 02-25-2020, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
            So this is absolutely callous and cold, but given that this apparently hits the elderly hardest and barely scratches the young, this will be one way to hasten the Boomers out of power...
            Was thinking the same thing. But then I remembered my parents are close to 70 and it scares the ever living **** out of me. My dad hasn't forgiven the Republicans since Vietnam and my mom idolizes the Obamas.

I think we can all agree though, I want Limbaugh to keep bleating the crap about this not being that big of a deal. I want those places that believe his crap to burn.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Dick Pound says Olympic cancellation is possible now, not moving or postponing it

https://apnews.com/58043910be7bdc681...source=Twitter
              Good. That's the only correct response.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                I think we can all agree though, I want Limbaugh to keep bleating the crap about this not being that big of a deal. I want those places that believe his crap to burn.
                It will be the urban areas that get hit the hardest. But perhaps it's not too much to ask that it targets Fort Worth, OKC, and Scottsdale, rather than Chicago, MSP and Boulder.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  It will be the urban areas that get hit the hardest. But perhaps it's not too much to ask that it targets Fort Worth, OKC, and Scottsdale, rather than Chicago, MSP and Boulder.
                  Let it hit Chicago. Maybe gun deaths will go down.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    I think Deutsche said it above, the blue states will fare better. Minnesota released a statement yesterday or the day before. We have a plan. The red states are telling you to pray and drink colloidal silver for this "just a cold"
                    Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      I do not speak freely like this in any other facet of my life
                      I know. And your input on the ramifications of this illness is very valuable to us all. I just quoted you (since deleted) because I'm sick and tired of my Trumpian colleagues taking offhand comments from extremists on Twitter as proof of how much all liberals hate the common people. I'm gritting my teeth and trying to be a good example of civility. (Please remind me next time I mull the uses of a red-hot poker)
                      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Based on what? Latest data from the WHO says the CFR (2-3%) and R0 (2-4) is on par with 1918 Flu. We also know that seasonal flu has an R0 of 0.5-2 depending on the strain and a CFR of something like 0.01-0.1%, and a capable vaccine, so perhaps its CFR/R0 would be significantly higher without the vaccine. So who knows.
                        Well, you know what they say about statistics. WHO and CDC have admitted that we really don't know how many people have actually caught it for various reasons, so the denominator could be highly inaccurate.

Plus there's the terrifying fact that this is popping up in areas with no known China connection, we have an incompetent government, and hospitals aren't prepared for it because we just don't know how to handle cases yet on a widespread basis.
                        I've been wondering about this. Let's suppose I went to China, caught the virus but was naturally immune to it but still transmissible, and thus never detected in the airport checks. I then give it to someone who only gets mildly sick and thus never seeks medical aid. He then gives it to someone who gets very sick, seeks medical aid, and thus is recorded as officially getting the virus. The problem is, that third person may have no idea of the China connection from me. Especially if all the connections were between strangers in a public place.

I got to think some of this is going on. How much? Who knows?

Obviously, if there really are outbreaks without a China connection, then that's really scary.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Either way, the markets are betting this is bad and my company has pulled back all inventory of every respirator and mask from our employee stores. Even if the virus fizzles, the damage is being done to the world markets and panic is setting in. Try to find an N95 mask tonight and you'll probably strike out.
                          The SARS outbreak caused $40 billion to be removed from the worldwide economy.
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Where are the places without a China connection? Iran? An outbreak in Lombardy, Italy started from Chinese tourists. Then traveling Italians have spread out further, I believe. (Spain, Canary Islands)
                            Last edited by state of hockey; 02-26-2020, 08:47 AM.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              Where are the places with China connection? Iran? An outbreak in Lombardy, Italy started from Chinese tourists. Then traveling Italians have spread out further, I believe. (Spain, Canary Islands)
                              This is all Marco Polo's fault.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                The SARS outbreak caused $40 billion to be removed from the worldwide economy.
                                I'm not sure that's quite how it works. That specific wording. Either it was never there and this is just lost productivity, which still means it's not real; the virus caused deflation, or the the money caught the virus and died. I'm guessing it's the first.

Plus, $40 billion is absolutely squat. The GDP of the world is $87 trillion. $40 billion is 0.05% of the global GDP.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X