X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: nCoV 2019-2020 Outbreak

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Cool. Now we're living in Planet of the Apes.
    Stop linking to the Sun. The board moderator might delete it for being spam.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
      No, your ad hominem is the overplayed tactic.

'What's the number' is asking for a fact so we can deal with facts and not fears.
      Amazing you are so into to facts now...speculation didn't seem to bug you back in 2016.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Do you think traveling right now domestically is a bad idea? I’m supposed to travel next week for work and my wife is worried there could be some kind of travel ban or quarantine I could get caught up in.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          Iran’s seventh government minister diagnosed
          The cycling race the UAE Tour was cancelled after two days when two team workers tested positive for the virus.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            Everything about America is conducive to this virus blowing stuff up. No paid sick time for so many. How many people will go to work while sick because they can’t afford to not work?
            Then add in our government ignorance
            People having to pay thousands out of pocket for the test. Nope no way, getting some Nyquil at the pharmacy and self-medicating, while still going to work or school every day.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              If this spreads a LOT in dumpy country, I could think of worse things happening.

These are the people who voted to have their healthcare cut, and cut funding to the CDC, and put up a worthless wall. And now want to pretend that this is not an issue at all. Plus, are fully behind having business and economic people dealing with the risk vs. doctors and scientists.

But it's nice to see big pharma seeing the business opportunity to add another annual vaccine to their bottom lines.
              But they'll still blame it all on the evil Democrats

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Do you think traveling right now domestically is a bad idea? I’m supposed to travel next week for work and my wife is worried there could be some kind of travel ban or quarantine I could get caught up in.
                I’d say right now risk is low. I guess if California explodes you could see things crop up there

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  But they'll still blame it all on the evil Democrats
                  do nothing democrats.

get it right
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    Yeah, because the U6 number of infections is the real one!*

*Offer applies only when it hurts a Dem president.

Seriously, you have like the same 10 arguments you cycle through. "But what's the real number?" is grossly overplayed.
                    I don’t understand the objection. Surely we all agree that a virus doesn’t care if an R or a D sits in the White House. And all sensible people agree that our national prep and response would be a zillion times better if the FakeTrumpGod didn’t exist. But why does that mean the actual numbers should not be reported? I want the real numbers, and I don’t expect liberals to be the ones complaining about that. Math is math.
                    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

They very rarely have the denominator right unless it's something obvious like ebola and it's in a well-monitored region. So... all of these numbers are going to miss some, many, or most of the denominator. The number you're looking for is the IFR, infection fatality rate. These are almost always based on educated guesses from what I've read, but not always. Logically, that makes sense because you never can account for every infection.

I'm also guessing you're more likely to miss the denominator low if it's a mild diseases like the common cold. The more severe, the more likely you're going to get it closer to correct as people die or seek treatment.

So you have a couple of options:
                      1. Assume the CFR is low, which seems the least logical, but it's not out of the question as resources become taxed globally instead of regionally.
                      2. Assume the CFR is high. Which I'd guess is fairly consistently off compared to the IFR. Even at 2%, it's a huge number compared to the estimates of seasonal flu at 0.01-0.1%, which is probably high because not all cases are reported AND it's moderated by the fact that so many high-risk people are immunized AND we have Tamiflu. So it's not even comparable anyways since we don't have a vaccine for this virus and only experimental treatments. Maybe in 2-3 years the CFR is less than the flu's, maybe significantly, after we start vaccinating our most at-risk populations. On the other hand, 2% is mainly based on areas with "worse" health care systems than the western world. So perhaps as this spreads west, it drops.
                      3. Assume the CFR is right. In this case, at 2% is a little scary.

What happens if you're wrong:
                      1. You're over-prepared, probably waste resources, and you might make people question your credibility next time.
                      2. You risk under-preparing. Probably the worst consequences as resources become scarce, people start dying, and you've still lost credibility.
                      3. You're probably a little of both, but at least you're closer to being fully prepared.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Don't worry, your gunz will keep you safe.

I'm sure she will enjoy her time away from you.

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                          I don’t understand the objection. Surely we all agree that a virus doesn’t care if an R or a D sits in the White House. And all sensible people agree that our national prep and response would be a zillion times better if the FakeTrumpGod didn’t exist. But why does that mean the actual numbers should not be reported? I want the real numbers, and I don’t expect liberals to be the ones complaining about that. Math is math.
                          You aren't gonna ever see the real numbers. Pence's job is to make sure you don't.

Otherwise, the markets will continue to spook, Donnie will be angry, and his re-election prospects will take a hit.

People dying? Who gives a ****?

Comment

Even though risk is low now, and I understand that this thing will very soon be as common as the flu everywhere, it gave me a bit of the heebie jeebies to find out I’d been staying next door to a Japanese dude who was carrying it in Honolulu, and that I shared an airport with a bunch of Chinese people who had it who were then detained there. It’s been over three weeks though and I’m still kicking.
                            For all I know, me and 10 million other Americans have already had a mild case. Which would actually be a good thing.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              do nothing democrats.

get it right
                              That's demoncrats.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                Do you think traveling right now domestically is a bad idea?
                                No.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X