X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I was a part of the real discussion on Monday
    Just curious: did the 'responsibility' cause you to (try to) watch more hockey, more games or a wider variety of games and teams than you would normally do?

(As for 'who else?': as for myself, I know I am not remotely qualified for such a thing; I see a ton of UW games and essentially nothing else. I wouldn't be qualified to vote on a WCHA 'first string' team, much less voice an opinion on HE or ECAC, etc. Yeah, I have posted about UW players on this thread, but that's just 'homer' advocacy; other than looking at stats, I really have no clue as to who "should" be the winner, or even the finalists.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      I will preface this by saying Gabel was a great choice to win last year.

But I wonder if her 2 championships won in the two prior years helped her with the voters (I wouldn’t care if it did). I think Roque’s play this year plus her championship last year plus being on Team USA and playing well might help her win it this year.

I REALLY wish Gebhard made top ten. I haven’t studied the line up like some of you but my gut says Gebhard belongs there. She didn’t miss a beat when the always over looked Howard graduated, she either is or is very close to being the all time points leader at RMU, and she doesn’t play with same offensively gifted players some of these others players do. 5th in ppg in the nation last time I looked.
      I agree about Gebhard being left off the top ten. Only issue is who does she replace? Watts . She has had a great career and a great season.
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Have to think Tim was just teasing but I’m thrilled the likes of bloggers like you and the woho media that actually know the sport are on the committee TTT.

Comment

• Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          Just curious: did the 'responsibility' cause you to (try to) watch more hockey, more games or a wider variety of games and teams than you would normally do?

(As for 'who else?': as for myself, I know I am not remotely qualified for such a thing; I see a ton of UW games and essentially nothing else. I wouldn't be qualified to vote on a WCHA 'first string' team, much less voice an opinion on HE or ECAC, etc. Yeah, I have posted about UW players on this thread, but that's just 'homer' advocacy; other than looking at stats, I really have no clue as to who "should" be the winner, or even the finalists.)
          On some level this is why I don’t think programs should be shy about putting a ton of content about there stars out there on social media, especially if your Star is on a team not winning national championships. It’s not really the fault of the voters that coverage is what it is . I said this last year but Watts and Coyne both played for programs that have their act together as far as making their product accessible and sharing highlights. I suspect that helps make their case even though it has nothing to do with hockey.

And it’s an argument for putting out full game highlights not just your teams goals for, as was recently discussed. But I get that teams have varying resources.

I think you are underselling your worthiness to vote in wcha awards. Gabriela Fundaro is another media person that is an obvious person to have on the selection committee at some point.

Comment

Yes I am just teasing T3, it's pretty cool that he has this opportunity. The sport is so regional and undercovered that it's really impossible to fairly pick a winner. Stats are great and all, but the eye test should be the deciding factor, and that is totally impossible.

So the winner has been decided, there is really no point to discuss any further. Now it's getting ready to criticize the choice. :O

If we are picking the best skater for the PK, Shirley wins hand down. I have never seen such an effortless stride. Some players look like they are shaving ice for gelato out there (and are fast), but she is just the opposite.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Looking at the last 9 times of non goalie PK wins, no one has won the PK without being in the top 2 in scoring. The 2 times 2nd place won the deficit to the leading scorer was 4 points. The gap from Watts to Giguere is 10 points. There is no other reasonable thing to think other Watts won again. I'm sure the PK Committee was well award of this fact. It would be unprecedented to give it to Giguere or anyone else for that fact this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                Looking at the last 9 times of non goalie PK wins, no one has won the PK without being in the top 2 in scoring. The 2 times 2nd place won the deficit to the leading scorer was 4 points. The gap from Watts to Giguere is 10 points. There is no other reasonable thing to think other Watts won again. I'm sure the PK Committee was well award of this fact. It would be unprecedented to give it to Giguere or anyone else for that fact this year.
                I understand what you're saying, but then why have a 13-member committee? Why not just have one person pull up some stats and give it to the person with the most points?

If this becomes the thinking going forward, then I'd suggest coaches who have Kaz-worthy players schedule a lot of games against Lindenwood and LIU, because apparently, all points are created equally.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                  ... schedule a lot of games against Lindenwood and LIU, because apparently, all points are created equally.
                  (Compelled to point out that...)

Besides the fact that Giguere also played two games against Lindenwood, she played four games against teams with *lower* RPIs than either LIU or Lindenwood. (And an additional four games against teams with RPI higher than Lindenwood but lower than LIU.)

Watts - Lindenwood, two games, 4 points
                  LIU, two games, 7 points

Giguere - Lindenwood, two games 4 points
                  Brown, two games, 7 points
                  Rensselaer, two games, 5 points

Comment

Wisconsin 'strength of schedule' by RPI - 4th
                    Clarkson 'strength of schedule' by RPI - 24th

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                      Wisconsin 'strength of schedule' by RPI - 4th
                      Clarkson 'strength of schedule' by RPI - 24th
                      And could you fill us all in on the RPI's of CCT and Wisconsin last year and the PK result.

If Watts wins, congrats to her, well deserved.
                      If anyone else wins, congrats to whoever else it is, well deserved.
                      The committee has decided so that is all I have to say.
                      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

"And could you fill us all in on the RPI's of CCT and Wisconsin last year and the PK result."

Probably (though it might take some digging).

What would be the point?

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                          "And could you fill us all in on the RPI's of CCT and Wisconsin last year and the PK result."

Probably (though it might take some digging).

What would be the point?
                          Pardon me if I am wrong but the same point that I think you are trying to make with this years RPI? Watts stats are more decisive vs Giguere's due to SOS. Correct?
                          Last year I guess Gabel did not deserve to win over Pankowski due to Wisco playing a toughter SOS?? Just wondering.
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Comment

• Originally posted by vicb View Post
                            Pardon me if I am wrong but the same point that I think you are trying to make with this years RPI? Watts stats are more decisive vs Giguere's due to SOS. Correct?
                            Last year I guess Gabel did not deserve to win over Pankowski due to Wisco playing a toughter SOS?? Just wondering.
                            Going to be the Cornell D is my prediction!

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                              It was one of two responses to Arlen pointing out that Watts had played series against LIU and Lindenwood, and "all points are created equal", etc. I responded in the first that Giguere had played series against opponents just as "weak" and weaker. And as an afterthought, included their relative strength of schedules, as a sort of "you are right, not all points are created equal... And Watts' points might well have been harder to come by".

I see that I didn't 'reply with quote' the second time. Sorry if that contributed to any confusion, etc.

Gabel vs Pankowski helps make Tim's point that the Kaz winner is almost always the points leader; and when not, the difference between the winner and the points leader is much smaller than the gap would be this year.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                                Gabel deserved it over Pankowski last year, 73 pts vs 50, slam dunk win over Pankowski. In Watt's case she has played a tougher schedule by far and scored more points. Slam dunk Watts.

Comment

Working...
                                X