2020 Patty Kazmaier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    FWIW the Patty Kaz announcement gives civic involvement examples as well as majors & GPAs: https://www.pattykaz.com/news_article/show/1087326
    Thanks for reposting. Browning was a Cornell afterthought and up for the Kazmaier. That's an inspirational story in itself.

Comment

Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

FWIW the Patty Kaz announcement gives civic involvement examples as well as majors & GPAs: https://www.pattykaz.com/news_article/show/1087326
      Who was on Watts' line when she won the PK?
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

So is anyone here a voter? ARM or NMH?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Lonergan 30G 45A and Newkirk 24G 37A
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Lurker BADger fan, I like it. This is correct, but the uninformed voters won't/don't know this.
            Who are you calling uninformed!

Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
              Lonergan 30G 45A and Newkirk 24G 37A
              It was sometimes Lonergan and sometimes Newkirk centering her line. Newkirk and Lonergan were both centers, so it was never all three of them on the same line in the same game.

I did a spot check of box scores to confirm my memory wasn't failing me:
              http://hockeyeastonline.com/women/bo...8-schedule.php

Comment

Media members serve on the committee for two years (coaches do three), and my stint ended in 2016.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

It was sometimes Lonergan and sometimes Newkirk centering her line. Newkirk and Lonergan were both centers, so it was never all three of them on the same line in the same game.
                  I remember Watts being with Lonergan more often than not that season. Were the three together on a PP unit at some point?
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Interesting read on the Wednesday women about the Patty Kaz

"All that is a long way to get to the point that while Abby Roque is a more well-rounded player that’s more vital to Wisconsin than Watts is, I’m not sure how many people on the committee know that. A lot of how the three Wisconsin players end up ranked will depend on who’s representing the WCHA and how that person decides to talk about the nominated players. "

"I think playing with Team USA this year and getting named to their World Championship roster on Tuesday certainly helps people understand that Roque has value beyond her point total"

"While Browning’s numbers are better, I feel like there’s an argument about Frankel being more important to her team’s success with a less talented defense in front of her than Browning has. If we see a goalie make the top three, I’m not sure we can assume it’ll be Browning."

"The votes also usually tend to follow the individual conference awards. I think the logic is that those are voted on by the people who see those players the most, so the choices hold a lot of sway with the committee members who don’t have that opportunity. And no one wants to put forward a player that their own league thinks isn’t the best or snub someone who does win those awards. "

That last statement if true could have a profound effect on Giguere's or Watt's chances. If the ECAC coaches vote Fillier or Browning or even Bourbonnaise as the Player of the Year (All of them are worthy in their own right for the seasons they have had) then Giguere probably does not win the Kaz. If Roque wins POY in the WCHA then Watts probably does not win the Kaz.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

• Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      I remember Watts being with Lonergan more often than not that season. Were the three together on a PP unit at some point?
                      I honestly can't remember, but I don't think so. I know they were all on the 6 player Hero Line for when the goalie was pulled, but that's it.

I agree, I also think it was Lonergan that was Watts for the bulk of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        Media members serve on the committee for two years (coaches do three), and my stint ended in 2016.
                        And I did 2017 and 2018.

You're very own TTT is on the committee this year, so take his comments with extra salt
                        It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                          You're very own TTT is on the committee this year
                          You mean they accept absentee ballots?!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                            And I did 2017 and 2018.

You're very own TTT is on the committee this year, so take his comments with extra salt
                            I knew he was suspiciously quite in this discussion, considering the Watts factor. It must be killing him not be really be part of the discussion. At least I did a thread to keep him updated on Watts just in case he would forget about her.

I am shocked the PK group would call an obscure blogger into their voting group. Are they that desperate? Maybe they need to increase the term length to be a voter, obviously they have practically run out of people to ask. Is pokechecker next?

When does vote happen, or did it already? I need to know when I should be working at work instead of stumping for Watts. And for the record, I'm stumping for Watts instead of Roque because I think the points gap back to Roque from Watts is too large to overlook. I hope to look into those numbers historically at some point and prove myself right or wrong. At this point it is just a theory.

Comment

It must be killing him not be really be part of the discussion.
                              I was a part of the real discussion on Monday

I am shocked the PK group would call an obscure blogger into their voting group. Are they that desperate? Maybe they need to increase the term length to be a voter, obviously they have practically run out of people to ask.
                              Even if you're just teasing, this is a fair question to pose. In fairness -- who is out there you'd pick? Relatively speaking, everyone in the world of women's hockey media is obscure. After the NMH's and ARM's and Candace's out there, they'd be better off picking half the people in this forum over someone from the Boise Courier-Post or whatever who only gets thrown on the beat for the Olympics.

The vast majority of women's hockey coverage is by bloggers and freelancers. The person I replaced on the committee was the EIC of The Ice Garden; I'm the women's hockey editor from a different SB Nation site. The decline of traditional media has really just given a rise to a platform that gives richer coverage of relatively niche topics like women's hockey. I think it's pretty forward-thinking of the committee that they are actually making an effort to pick people who truly care about the sport.

So, anyway, it's flattering, I'm obviously beyond honored to have been put on the committee, but I'm guessing the Pairwise calculators (I get DM'd by coaches and stuff all the time about these) and national stuff I write (I don't just do BC previews/recaps) gives them the idea that I'm at least paying close attention to the sport.

When does vote happen, or did it already?
                              The conference call was Monday morning.
                              Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 02-27-2020, 08:37 AM.

Comment

I will preface this by saying Gabel was a great choice to win last year.

But I wonder if her 2 championships won in the two prior years helped her with the voters (I wouldn’t care if it did). I think Roque’s play this year plus her championship last year plus being on Team USA and playing well might help her win it this year.

I REALLY wish Gebhard made top ten. I haven’t studied the line up like some of you but my gut says Gebhard belongs there. She didn’t miss a beat when the always over looked Howard graduated, she either is or is very close to being the all time points leader at RMU, and she doesn’t play with same offensively gifted players some of these others players do. 5th in ppg in the nation last time I looked.

Comment

Working...
                                X