• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

Originally posted by Cpl37 View Post
    Hi there.

Thanks for the knowledgeable reply.

I've seen a handful of Wisconsin games and a load of Watts' East Coast games.

I've heard these arguments in the past. Think Messier vs. Gretz. Think Trottier vs. Bossy. No doubt the former are great - great players and instrumental to their teams. Never an MVP award on a head-to-head with their clearly more talented teammate.

But I guess I am wrong as Roque is the one they put up. Is it a lack of discipline?? Pushups? Seriously?!?!?
    I wish I could remember where I heard this but I can't so take it with a grain of salt. Supposedly Watts work/training ethic is what has kept her off Team Canada's list.

Comment

Interesting.

So , HC goes with older players and misses picking up the ladies in College. And is slowly eroding as #1 to world #2. Interesting.

Originally posted by dd17 View Post
      You will enjoy this article: sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/25-powerful-women-hockey/

Watts is the only current NCAA player mentioned. Shirley, Fillier and Rouqe get a passing mention in her section.

No idea what Hockey Canada is thinking? But Giguere is another who is passed over by Hockey Canada. And Gebhard.... I can go on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cpl37 View Post
        Interesting.

So , HC goes with older players and misses picking up the ladies in College. And is slowly eroding as #1 to world #2. Interesting.
        I can’t imagine Canada is ranked #1 in the world right now. That would be some strange math. Both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada should be working theirs butts off with the likes of CW NW or whatever to find a home for all this talent in a pro league. It’s soooo frustrating. But they just say it’s not in their mandate. Ugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cpl37 View Post
          Interesting.

Is Melody Davidson the problem?
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Agreed. - it is just that it has been a close back and forth for so long and it seems like Team USA is starting to separate from the pack (of one).

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
            I can’t imagine Canada is ranked #1 in the world right now. That would be some strange math. Both USA Hockey and Hockey Canada should be working theirs butts off with the likes of CW NW or whatever to find a home for all this talent in a pro league. It’s soooo frustrating. But they just say it’s not in their mandate. Ugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
              I wish I could remember where I heard this but I can't so take it with a grain of salt. Supposedly Watts work/training ethic is what has kept her off Team Canada's list.
              I may not be the one you heard from....but I posted last year that she couldn’t pass the fitness test that HC requires

Comment

Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                I may not be the one you heard from....but I posted last year that she couldn’t pass the fitness test that HC requires
                I've heard the same about a number of other college-aged players, FYI. And that older players say they weren't at all prepared to pass it when they were in college. I don't know if that means HC's test is really tough or if college's aren't preparing players well enough.

On a totally different topic ...

I wrote about why it's probably time to add a Goalie of the Year award, which I imagine will lead to some decent convo here ...

https://www.uscho.com/2020/03/05/wom...he-year-award/
                It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                  I've heard the same about a number of other college-aged players, FYI. And that older players say they weren't at all prepared to pass it when they were in college. I don't know if that means HC's test is really tough or if college's aren't preparing players well enough.

Does the US have a similar test; and if so, are college players passing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                    I'll be honest...if Tim had provided a weekly 'Roque Report' with current stats, I wouldn't have been surprised by her inclusion in this group.
                    LOL. It was the story of the year how Watts' game would translate from Hockey Easy to the WWCHA and the poll reflected a wide range of thoughts on it.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
                      I've heard the same about a number of other college-aged players, FYI. And that older players say they weren't at all prepared to pass it when they were in college. I don't know if that means HC's test is really tough or if college's aren't preparing players well enough. [/url]
                      Its not just the fitness test. Its the daily log. Every... single...day.... players have to login and log their schedule. This starts after first invite to a HC camp. It becomes overwhelming and some just say screw it. Then, bang, off the invite list.

Unless, of course, they have a good story. That does go a long way and HC soaks it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
                        I am conflicted on this. I mean at some point shouldn’t Canada be concerned with adding a goal scoring winger more than the push-up stats.

There was an article a few weeks back where Davidson sort of adress we’d the Watts issue. I dont know... all I see is that Canada hasn’t found a replacement for Agosta on the top line While on maternity leave and Poulin is increasingly struggling with injuries, and Daoust has had a couple injuries too. I am so curious to see the Canada roster, hope it comes out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                          LOL. It was the story of the year how Watts' game would translate from Hockey Easy to the WWCHA and the poll reflected a wide range of thoughts on it.
                          I admit to being surprised at the level of her WCHA success. I would have thought teams would have played her much more physically to slow her down and take a toll on her (it’s what I would have advised my team to do).

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                            I am conflicted on this. I mean at some point shouldn’t Canada be concerned with adding a goal scoring winger more than the push-up stats.
                            shhh!
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Surprising that the Watts, HC thing seems that hard to figure out.

A one dimensional player becomes diminished as the level of competition goes up. Time and space gets taken away and more physical play is encountered trying to make Team Canada and represent them in international competition. It's not that hard to figure out why there is the increased focus on training regimen and the need to take it seriously.
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                                Surprising that the Watts, HC thing seems that hard to figure out.

A one dimensional player becomes diminished as the level of competition goes up. Time and space gets taken away and more physical play is encountered trying to make Team Canada and represent them in international competition. It's not that hard to figure out why there is the increased focus on training regimen and the need to take it seriously.
                                If Canada hadn’t struggled to win in the past six years I’d be more receptive to this. But given their record the questioning makes sense.

And if it’s true that she’s one dimensional , well maybe she’s one dimensional in a dimension that Canada needs? Also we heard that Watts would struggle once she transferred to WCHA and she’s leading the country once again. Even if she’s not senior national team ready one
                                would think they’d at least have her in development camps and trying to get through to her on weight training if that’s the issue. Until Canada gets back to gold they will rightfully be questioned on that stuff, and you can see how fans would wonder if another path makes sense. I’m not necessarily Team Watts all the way, just want to see Canada win gold.

I find it hard to find a collection of the stats for the National Team, but I’d be curious to see what the pool of stats looks like for the 13 games that Canada and US has played vs each other since the 2018 Olympics. Let’s say Watts is not the answer. Is the current crop of forwards the answer? I guess we’ll find out in a month.

Comment

Working...
                                X