2020 Patty Kazmaier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Patty Kazmaier

I thought it would be fun to discuss the favorites as we approach the top 10 being released. Obviously Watts is there with a decent gap back to a scoring clump of Shirley/Giguere/Mueller/Roque/Maltius. I think goalie candidates are pretty much down to Frankel and Browning. I really don't see any D that are statistically dominant, but stats aren't everything, or are they?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    Obviously Watts is there with a decent gap back to a scoring clump of Shirley/Giguere/Mueller/Roque/Maltius.
    Points Per Game is typically a better starting point than raw points, as it is more fair to the Ivy League players and others who play fewer games. By that measure, the first clump after Watts becomes S. Shirley, Sarah Fillier, and Jaycee Gebhard, with Mueller and Giguère close behind.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Points Per Game is typically a better starting point than raw points, as it is more fair to the Ivy League players and others who play fewer games. By that measure, the first clump after Watts becomes S. Shirley, Sarah Fillier, and Jaycee Gebhard, with Mueller and Giguère close behind.
      Interestingly, I think one could make a case that Wisconsin's MVP (at least so far) has been Roque, and not Watts.

Comment

I thought it would be fun to discuss the favorites as we approach the top 10 being released. Obviously Watts is there with a decent gap back to a scoring clump of Shirley/Giguere/Mueller/Roque/Maltius. I think goalie candidates are pretty much down to Frankel and Browning. I really don't see any D that are statistically dominant, but stats aren't everything, or are they?
        Stats mean nothing until you don't have any!

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
          Interestingly, I think one could make a case that Wisconsin's MVP (at least so far) has been Roque, and not Watts.
          From what I've seen of each over the years, you'd get no argument from me, but the Kazmaier process has always liked numbers. It is harder to quantify factors such as helping a team win the possession or territorial battles.

One thing that I find interesting is that Giguère and Watts have the same number of career points (Giguère has played four additional games). It feels like Watts has been the more prolific, and she has been, except for last year.

Comment

From what I've seen of each over the years, you'd get no argument from me, but the Kazmaier process has always liked numbers. It is harder to quantify factors such as helping a team win the possession or territorial battles.
            In between periods, they will show these "Ask The Badgers" videos, where they ask a question - more or less silly or otherwise intended to generate amusing answers - and show the players giving their answers. On Sunday, the question was something like "Who on the team would make the best 'superhero'?", and every player they showed answered "Roque".

Comment

I had the same exact thought when I was writing the original post. Roque is the MVP for UW (at least for now). Shirley and Roque are way more flashy, but Watts just racks up the apples and of course she can score. I have never seen as smooth a skater as Shirley. It's just crazy.

Comment

Excellent point. It's dumb that all the schools don't play the same amount of games. Another reason to pick the wwcha I guess.

Comment

Excellent point. It's dumb that all the schools don't play the same amount of games. Another reason to pick the wwcha I guess.
                  Teams in the WCHA don't necessarily play the same number of games, either. Minnesota, in recent years, has typically scheduled exhibitions in place of one or two non-conference games. And if the Kazmeier voters are incapable of looking at stats on a per game basis, that's a clue that they probably can't analyze anything else without being stupid, either.

Comment

I don't think that the top 10 contains any big surprises:
                    https://www.uscho.com/2020/02/20/six...hockey-player/

Comment

I think picking a winner/top 3 is going to be a lot harder/closer than I expected it to be earlier in the year
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

I don't think that the top 10 contains any big surprises:
                        I hadn't really thought about it in these terms, but I'm a little surprised to look down the list and not see someone from Minnesota.

Comment

I hadn't really thought about it in these terms, but I'm a little surprised to look down the list and not see someone from Minnesota.
                          Gophers have five players with at least 29 points, but none with more than 38.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

You're right; nobody was that close from UM. I think that next up from the WCHA would have been Gabbie Hughes.

Comment

Nobody from BC either. In fact freshman Hannah Bilka was the only one even nominated -- not even Cayla Barnes
                              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Working...
                              X