Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 272

Thread: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

  1. #1
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,703

    2020 Patty Kazmaier

    I thought it would be fun to discuss the favorites as we approach the top 10 being released. Obviously Watts is there with a decent gap back to a scoring clump of Shirley/Giguere/Mueller/Roque/Maltius. I think goalie candidates are pretty much down to Frankel and Browning. I really don't see any D that are statistically dominant, but stats aren't everything, or are they?
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  2. #2
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    22,111

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Obviously Watts is there with a decent gap back to a scoring clump of Shirley/Giguere/Mueller/Roque/Maltius.
    Points Per Game is typically a better starting point than raw points, as it is more fair to the Ivy League players and others who play fewer games. By that measure, the first clump after Watts becomes S. Shirley, Sarah Fillier, and Jaycee Gebhard, with Mueller and Gigučre close behind.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,549

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Points Per Game is typically a better starting point than raw points, as it is more fair to the Ivy League players and others who play fewer games. By that measure, the first clump after Watts becomes S. Shirley, Sarah Fillier, and Jaycee Gebhard, with Mueller and Gigučre close behind.
    Interestingly, I think one could make a case that Wisconsin's MVP (at least so far) has been Roque, and not Watts.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I thought it would be fun to discuss the favorites as we approach the top 10 being released. Obviously Watts is there with a decent gap back to a scoring clump of Shirley/Giguere/Mueller/Roque/Maltius. I think goalie candidates are pretty much down to Frankel and Browning. I really don't see any D that are statistically dominant, but stats aren't everything, or are they?
    Stats mean nothing until you don't have any!

  5. #5
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    22,111

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    Interestingly, I think one could make a case that Wisconsin's MVP (at least so far) has been Roque, and not Watts.
    From what I've seen of each over the years, you'd get no argument from me, but the Kazmaier process has always liked numbers. It is harder to quantify factors such as helping a team win the possession or territorial battles.

    One thing that I find interesting is that Gigučre and Watts have the same number of career points (Gigučre has played four additional games). It feels like Watts has been the more prolific, and she has been, except for last year.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,549

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    From what I've seen of each over the years, you'd get no argument from me, but the Kazmaier process has always liked numbers. It is harder to quantify factors such as helping a team win the possession or territorial battles.
    In between periods, they will show these "Ask The Badgers" videos, where they ask a question - more or less silly or otherwise intended to generate amusing answers - and show the players giving their answers. On Sunday, the question was something like "Who on the team would make the best 'superhero'?", and every player they showed answered "Roque".

  7. #7
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,703

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    Interestingly, I think one could make a case that Wisconsin's MVP (at least so far) has been Roque, and not Watts.
    I had the same exact thought when I was writing the original post. Roque is the MVP for UW (at least for now). Shirley and Roque are way more flashy, but Watts just racks up the apples and of course she can score. I have never seen as smooth a skater as Shirley. It's just crazy.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  8. #8
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,703

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Points Per Game is typically a better starting point than raw points, as it is more fair to the Ivy League players and others who play fewer games. By that measure, the first clump after Watts becomes S. Shirley, Sarah Fillier, and Jaycee Gebhard, with Mueller and Gigučre close behind.
    Excellent point. It's dumb that all the schools don't play the same amount of games. Another reason to pick the wwcha I guess.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    891

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Excellent point. It's dumb that all the schools don't play the same amount of games. Another reason to pick the wwcha I guess.
    Teams in the WCHA don't necessarily play the same number of games, either. Minnesota, in recent years, has typically scheduled exhibitions in place of one or two non-conference games. And if the Kazmeier voters are incapable of looking at stats on a per game basis, that's a clue that they probably can't analyze anything else without being stupid, either.

  10. #10
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    22,111

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    I don't think that the top 10 contains any big surprises:
    https://www.uscho.com/2020/02/20/six...hockey-player/
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  11. #11
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    10,965

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    I think picking a winner/top 3 is going to be a lot harder/closer than I expected it to be earlier in the year
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Senior Writer & Women's Hockey Editor, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14


    Click here for the BC Interruption Projection, Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,549

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    I don't think that the top 10 contains any big surprises:
    I hadn't really thought about it in these terms, but I'm a little surprised to look down the list and not see someone from Minnesota.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,624

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Quote Originally Posted by robertearle View Post
    I hadn't really thought about it in these terms, but I'm a little surprised to look down the list and not see someone from Minnesota.
    Gophers have five players with at least 29 points, but none with more than 38.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  14. #14
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    22,111

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    You're right; nobody was that close from UM. I think that next up from the WCHA would have been Gabbie Hughes.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  15. #15
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    10,965

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Nobody from BC either. In fact freshman Hannah Bilka was the only one even nominated -- not even Cayla Barnes
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Senior Writer & Women's Hockey Editor, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14


    Click here for the BC Interruption Projection, Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    ellicott city, md, usa
    Posts
    10,854

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Giguere, Watts and Roque. Take your pick. I'm OK with any of the 3 winning although you know who I hope wins . LGT
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

  17. #17
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    10,965

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    I think Browning has to be in the discussion, surely. She put up almost ARD numbers.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    891

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    Giguere, Watts and Roque. Take your pick. I'm OK with any of the 3 winning although you know who I hope wins . LGT
    I've watched eight Wisconsin games. That, and a breakdown of which teams they've scored their goals against, strongly suggests that Roque is a much more important player to the Badgers than Watts is.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    821

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Gigučre, Mueller and Roque. My top 3.

  20. #20
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,703

    Re: 2020 Patty Kazmaier

    Quote Originally Posted by Still Eeyore View Post
    I've watched eight Wisconsin games. That, and a breakdown of which teams they've scored their goals against, strongly suggests that Roque is a much more important player to the Badgers than Watts is.
    Lurker BADger fan, I like it. This is correct, but the uninformed voters won't/don't know this.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •