Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
    And more.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...s-with-foreign

Gee, why would he want to do that?

All normal, right?
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      Let me ask you this. Let's say he wins a second term. What do you really think he's going to do?

When I read your post, I can only parse out about 4 specifics, but I assume there more than these.

You express concern about entitlements. Fair enough. His current budget purports to take a big bite out of entitlements. But won't he need Congress to accomplish that? I don't see the House going for it, and probably not even the Senate. Isn't the entitlements issue going to be a typical Trump move where claims he is going to do something (or even claims he did it), but it never actually happens?

Roe v. Wade. The only possible effect on Roe v. Wade that Trump could have comes through SC appointments, obviously. I've stated this before, and I continue to believe it. I don't believe Roe v. Wade will be overturned. Will the decision continue to be nibbled at here and there, as it has for the past 50 years? Sure, but whatever is going to happen regarding Roe v. Wade has already been cast in stone.

You worry about court packing. Well, honestly, whenever there has been a Senate of the same party as the POTUS, they take advantage of the situation to put as many "like minded" judges on the bench as possible. I believe that will always be the case. Is that ideal? No, not at all. But fortunately there is a bit of a lag effect too, since it takes awhile for litigation to work it's way up, and usually by the time that happens the POTUS is already gone.

That gets us to the worry du jour -- He just won't leave. I don't know what to tell you. I don't believe that will happen. I don't think the public would stand for it. If you think about it, electing a POTUS is a years long process. As we approach 2024 (assuming he's still around) there will be D's and R's running in the primaries, running ads, etc... You think he's going to run again? Even if he tried, you'd have litigation over whether his name could appear on the ballot in states that would challenge his right under the constitution, and I can't believe Courts would let him go forward, so then you'd have a Republican convention where someone else would get nominated and Trump doesn't even show up on the ballot in November. Even if he wanted to stay for another term, I don't see the mechanics of it.

None of those cause me to see the coming of Nazi Germany.
      None of those probably caused them to see it either.

And note: I say if he loses in November he leaves. I dont see anyone standing in the way of that. If he wins a second term though all bets are off.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Counter-point: if Dump declared that the election had been compromised by "irregularities we are looking into," and refused to acknowledge the results, what percentage of Republican voters would go against him? I'm guessing less than 5%. What percentage of Republican Members would go against him? I'm guessing less than 1%.

We're in trouble, man. Not just because the President is a delusional criminal, or because the Republican party is craven opportunists and cowards who will do nothing to protect American laws, but because a huge number of American voters no longer give a sh-t what system of government they live under as long as they get their way. The right's base has abandoned law and democracy, likely because they never believed in it anyway. The right's elite has abandoned law and democracy, likely because they can read demographic charts and understand they can no longer function as a significant power if the US retains its democracy.
        This. The people are the ones that can save us and 40% of them stopped caring a long time ago.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          I worry about him side-stepping every established governmental procedure of how things get done to do whatever he wants to do. Give Alaska back to Russia? Done. Send Treasury money straight to his bank account? Done. Make deals with foreign nations that don't do anything for America, but put millions in his pockets? Done. And so on.

Oh, that's illegal? Oh, I can't do that? Oh, that's Congress' responsibility?

See you in court.

Just like he's done with everything so far during his term. Whatever he wants, he gets. Get in his way, you're gone. And the Republicans in Congress have shown they will not step up to stop him. On any of it. So he's seen he's got carte blanche to do whatever he wants. And it scares me to try to imagine what 'whatever he wants' might turn out to be.

If you say, no he can't, we have Congress, and other institutions to prevent that from happening, to stop him from going that far. To which I say, see you in court.
          Rome had a Senate...they even put someone in place to specifically stop Caesar. I forget how that worked out for The Republic...
          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Nice.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              Did someone actually publish that? Jesus does anyone paid to write actually know how to do it anymore? Hell it is one "lol" away from being a post by trix

I do love his twitter though...almost as awful as his actual writing

The article is trash...and not because it slams Klobuchar (I have been saying the same about her demeanor for YEARS) but because the author doesnt get how politics work, he doesnt get how basic "Bills" work and he couldnt understand a voting record if his life depended on it. Oh yeah sure dontcha know he made sure to put in some very cute affects for Minnesota ya sure, even went oud of his way to tell us he used to be one of us few chrissakes so he kept the locals all calm fer attacking "Oneofus" but dat changes nothing dontcha know! Trash is trash fer sure and this clown belongs in Sconnie drinking da paint thinner ya sure you betcha!

I am not Scandenavian I cant do the accent well

(oh and people on the Iron Range are far from genuine. Only a Yooper would think that)

edit to add: the only good part of that article is the end. I would rather her as Senate Minority Leader than President.
              Pretty much this. I love all the people that have spent a minute or two in the state claiming expertise. All of the Minnesotans I know, 95% of which are from the twin cities, don't give a hell if you find them charming or not.

At least that rambling drivel did come to a conclusion I agree with. I also don't want Amy as president.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                Pretty much this. I love all the people that have spent a minute or two in the state claiming expertise. All of the Minnesotans I know, 95% of which are from the twin cities, don't give a hell if you find them charming or not.

At least that rambling drivel did come to a conclusion I agree with. I also don't want Amy as president.
                Sorry to see this struck a nerve so violently. Magary is an excellent writer, but I can see how his style of shtick would seem like sincere ash holery if you weren’t expecting it.
                2) My wife and her 4 combative sisters, who are from Minneapolis where I also lived for a few years, are the source of my knowledge of the actual murky depths of “Minnesota Nice” comments. So if they are unique in their attitude, I apologize to all of you for tainting your superior glory of faultlessness (I’m learning the art, I know that was a little rough)
                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

538 brings out an INCREDIBLY detailed and exhaustive projection for all remaining primaries. This will continue to update against all polls from now until The End.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    You express concern about entitlements. Fair enough. His current budget purports to take a big bite out of entitlements. But won't he need Congress to accomplish that? I don't see the House going for it, and probably not even the Senate. Isn't the entitlements issue going to be a typical Trump move where claims he is going to do something (or even claims he did it), but it never actually happens?
                    Trump doesn’t care about the entitlement spending issue. He cares that he can use the issue of being a deficit hawk on the campaign trail year, pitting the crazy liberals against his interest in protecting your pocketbook. In truth, he’s going to be mostly selling that line to the very people he’s hurting. And they’ll buy it.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      Sorry to see this struck a nerve so violently. Magary is an excellent writer, but I can see how his style of shtick would seem like sincere ash holery if you weren’t expecting it.
                      2) My wife and her 4 combative sisters, who are from Minneapolis where I also lived for a few years, are the source of my knowledge of the actual murky depths of “Minnesota Nice” comments. So if they are unique in their attitude, I apologize to all of you for tainting your superior glory of faultlessness (I’m learning the art, I know that was a little rough)
                      Minnesota Nice is actually Minnesota Passive-Aggressive, and it’s alive and well in the Twin Cities. Perhaps back in the day it was a sincere and true for when the people of German descent were dealing with the Scandinavian people, but that’s about it. Nobody believes that the Nice is actually nice these days, and the term is only ever used in jest at my office and between friends.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                        I don't think he is a good writer and it has zero to do with the Minnesota bs. The guy has trouble with basic writing skills I doubt he could pass freshmen comp.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

To be fair, the standards for freshmen comp have slipped a lot since I was in school.

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                            To be fair, the standards for freshmen comp have slipped a lot since I was in school.
                            And you went to St. Cloud!

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              And you went to St. Cloud!
                              I wasn't going to say it...

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Are there people calling him "dangerous," including those looking to sell newspapers or magazines, or draw clicks to websites? Sure.

Are there people who disagree with my opinion? Sure.

It doesn't mean I'm wrong. It doesn't mean I'm right. It's just my opinion.
                                Did you actually read any of the content or just the headlines?

Also he doesn't need to become a pseudo fascist to be dangerous. There's an in between on the scale.

you can lead a horse to water but...
                                Last edited by Slap Shot; 02-14-2020, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X