Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    No matter who wins in November it would signal the end of our Republic. Not that most of you care.
    You just picking up the signal now?

Comment

• Originally posted by sagard View Post
      You just picking up the signal now?
      It doesn't have to be the end. We have a chance to nominate and elect someone who will restore Democracy (or Representative Republicanism) but very few in this thread seem interested in that. A friend of mine likes to say he'd vote for a traffic cone over Sniffles. That's nice and all, but maybe we can nominate a better choice?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Mookie having standards is what I'd call a moot point.
        Not a mook point?
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
          It doesn't have to be the end. We have a chance to nominate and elect someone who will restore Democracy (or Representative Republicanism) but very few in this thread seem interested in that. A friend of mine likes to say he'd vote for a traffic cone over Sniffles. That's nice and all, but maybe we can nominate a better choice?
          You are confusing two issues. When people say "blue no matter who" they aren't saying they don't care who gets the nomination or what they stand for. They're expressing the need to defeat Nazis.

Putting emphasis on the one is not withdrawing it from the other. That's a false choice deliberately being seeded through our ranks by the enemy.

Think of it this way. If a somebody says "I'm starving, I need to eat" and somebody else says "we should eat healthier," they are not contradicting each other. They are each talking about a different problem, but those solutions are not in conflict.

When people act as if having solidarity behind all Dems is somehow detracting from the fight to find the best Dem, they are falling into a propaganda trap laid by conservative and Russian agitprop. That is an explicit, intentional, and clever attack on us. Don't give it oxygen.
          Last edited by Kepler; 02-18-2020, 05:08 PM.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Žižek is sometimes intellectually dishonest to the point of fraudulence, however in this lecture he is interesting.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The democratic primary process will be easier to fix to prevent another billionaire Mike should he win the nomination in a brokered convention vs fixing our entire Democracy should Trump win again.

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                The democratic primary process will be easier to fix to prevent another billionaire Mike should he win the nomination in a brokered convention vs fixing our entire Democracy should Trump win again.
                Neither will be fixed. The people in charge of fixing the problem don't want it fixed because they don't see it as a problem. It's not a bug; it's a feature.

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                  Neither will be fixed. The people in charge of fixing the problem don't want it fixed because they don't see it as a problem. It's not a bug; it's a feature.
                  Trump vs Bloomberg isn’t even ****ing close. Bloomberg isn’t a nazi. Bloomberg believes in climate change. Bloomberg supports paid family and sick leave. He supports a $15 minimum wage. He supports an assault weapon ban and universal background checks. He supports raising capital gains taxes and a “special tax for the wealthy”. I doubt he is a fan of putting people in cages, or using foreign governments to help his political campaign. I doubt he supports shrinking national monuments putting ancient artifacts, petroglyphs, and sacred Native American locations at risk for uranium mining on previously protected land.

Acting like he’s as bad as Trump and would be the end of our democracy is idiotic.

Comment

He wouldn't beat Trump and is only marginally better even if he somehow did.

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      I’m not convinced Bernie will beat Trump and ANY democrat running will be light years better than Trump and if you don’t think so you’re ****ing brain dead

Comment

Trump vs Bloomberg isn’t even ****ing close. Bloomberg isn’t a nazi. Bloomberg believes in climate change. Bloomberg supports paid family and sick leave. He supports a $15 minimum wage. He supports an assault weapon ban and universal background checks. He supports raising capital gains taxes and a “special tax for the wealthy”. I doubt he is a fan of putting people in cages, or using foreign governments to help his political campaign. I doubt he supports shrinking national monuments putting ancient artifacts, petroglyphs, and sacred Native American locations at risk for uranium mining on previously protected land.

Acting like he’s as bad as Trump and would be the end of our democracy is idiotic.
                        You misunderstood my post. You posited that it would be easier to fix the nomination process in the Democratic Party if Bloomberg won. I'm saying it would be moot. It wouldn't be fixed at all because the people in charge don't see it as a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                          No. Mike Pence would be marginally better. Any Democrat this side of Tulsi would be markedly better.

I don't like Bloomberg at all, especially when I read how he's harming down ballot prospects by hiring every available operative for his own campaign. But acting as though it's a tough choice between him and Trump is as stupid now as it was 4 years ago with Hillary. Let's not repeat that same mistake, shall we?

Comment

If we're going to let a Republican who supported George Bush for president run for our nomination, who else? Let's see if Donald Rumsfeld is available. Colin Powell is popular. Let's call him. Meghan McCain? Where do we draw the line? Or do you just want to erase the line and let anyone run?

Comment

BTW, before you say Bloomberg supports a $15 minimum wage, you might want to see what he has said about minimum wage laws in the past.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...imum-wage.html

Comment

Both sides.

It ain't just for rubes.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X