Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Easily influenced person gets easily influenced. Film at 11.
    She's been a Democrat for 20 years but she uses terminology like this:

It started about a year ago when roving gangs of online social justice warriors started going after anyone who was not lockstep in their ideology.
    Seems legit.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      She's been a Democrat for 20 years but she uses terminology like this:

Seems legit.
      Saw that too. And seriously, extremist left wing knitting circles that she had to get away from?
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

These people would say Jesus was "virtue signaling."
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I respect your opinion and your values, but let me ask you this. Is there any reasonably likely (say, > 5%) set of circumstances under which Bernie would be a more dangerous president than Dump? I completely get that his ideology and his (my) preferred policies revolt you. But those policies still lie within the boundaries of democratric government and rule of law. My appeal to you is that no matter how "wrong headed" you think him, Bernie will not end democracy or the world. And Dump actually could.
          I personally don't think either Bernie or Trump are "dangerous." I've just never bought into the idea that there is a good chance Trump is going to blow up the world or cause a toxic virus or gas to be released into the atmosphere and kill us all.

With respect to his obvious corruption, we've had horribly corrupt politicians in the past. None holding this particular office, to this extent, but we survived them all, and we will survive Trump.

I view Trump as a terrible kidney stone. This to shall pass.

And Handy is right. I do have the luxury of being in Minnesota and knowing it's pretty unlikely that my vote for an independent, should I choose to go that way again, will likely affect the outcome. If I were living in Wisconsin or Michigan or Florida, for example, my decision would be harder.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I personally don't think either Bernie or Trump are "dangerous." I've just never bought into the idea that there is a good chance Trump is going to blow up the world or cause a toxic virus or gas to be released into the atmosphere and kill us all.

With respect to his obvious corruption, we've had horribly corrupt politicians in the past. None holding this particular office, to this extent, but we survived them all, and we will survive Trump.

And Handy is right. I do have the luxury of being in Minnesota and knowing it's pretty unlikely that my vote for an independent, should I choose to go that way again, will likely affect the outcome. If I were living in Wisconsin or Michigan or Florida, for example, my decision would be harder.
            You don't think Trump is dangerous?

ROTFLMAO
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              You don't think Trump is dangerous?

ROTFLMAO
              It’s cool. Everyone is overreacting. For example, nothing bad will happen from rolling back EPA regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                That is funny
                Imagine, for a moment, respecting you. A predictable troll every 2-3 months in these threads.

Comment

All's I can say is I hope you're right but pretty sure you're not. I see what he, Barr, and the other cronies are doing as a serious shift in American government towards dictatorship. It scares me that a superficial agreement on policy matters causes Republicans to be blind to this. Partly because it's perilous but partly because it makes me wonder if I would be as blind if this was coming from the Left.

My argument from the start is that only the Right can be the hero here. We Dems are fighting Dump but of course we are. In addition to the rest of it he's also pushing policies we disagree with. The heroic people will be those who see themselves as benefiting but still oppose him because of his megalomania, corruption, recklessness, and attack on American institutions. Only Nixon could go to China and only you guys can stop Dump purely on principle. If and when the Left stops him it will be principle also mixed with our self-interest.

It seems to me that Americans in general and righties in particular always long for a moment where they can demonstrate their virtue. Welp, this is it.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 02-13-2020, 10:17 AM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                    Synopsis: Its okay to be a Nazi as long as you have a good time doing it!

PS - Did you used to date this chick? Curious how you came across the article.
                    Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    Easily influenced person gets easily influenced. Film at 11.
                    I'm always slightly bemused at the way people read articles like this one and then casually dismiss it like it's nonsense or that it wasted your time.

It is for precisely that attitude that you've had the privilege to biatch about Donald Trump for three years.

I've never been to a Trump rally, or any political rally for that matter, and have no interest in going.

But I've posted this here before. I have a friend, who is a minority, who is a college graduate including graduate school, who is as far from the right wing as you can imagine, who got drug along to a Trump rally and came away amazed. He did not sound crazy. The crowd was not the drooling orcs she expected.

A week or two ago I posted about The Circus episode on Showtime where a person high up in the HRC campaign attended a Trump rally and came away similarly impressed. "He makes a compelling case for re-election" she said.

You guys have all bought into this nazi/orc/deplorable/racist b.s. hook, line and sinker, such that you are going to end up with four more years of him if you're not careful.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I'm always slightly bemused at the way people read articles like this one and then casually dismiss it like it's nonsense or that it wasted your time.

It is for precisely that attitude that you've had the privilege to biatch about Donald Trump for three years.

I've never been to a Trump rally, or any political rally for that matter, and have no interest in going.

But I've posted this here before. I have a friend, who is a minority, who is a college graduate including graduate school, who is as far from the right wing as you can imagine, who got drug along to a Trump rally and came away amazed. He did not sound crazy. The crowd was not the drooling orcs she expected.

A week or two ago I posted about The Circus episode on Showtime where a person high up in the HRC campaign attended a Trump rally and came away similarly impressed. "He makes a compelling case for re-election" she said.

You guys have all bought into this nazi/orc/deplorable/racist b.s. hook, line and sinker, such that you are going to end up with four more years of him if you're not careful.
                      It's pretty amazing how Side A can call Barack Obama the most dangerous man on the planet and just win elections like crazy while if Side B does the same thing and it's true they can't win. Where the **** does this royally screwed up mentality come from?
                      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Well yeah, they were probably impressed that people were actually excited about their candidate after failing spectacularly at trying to get people excited about Hillary lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          It's pretty amazing how Side A can call Barack Obama the most dangerous man on the planet and just win elections like crazy while if Side B does the same thing and it's true they can't win. Where the **** does this royally screwed up mentality come from?
                          I'm not certain Side A ever beat Obama, calling him dangerous or otherwise.

Comment

I'm not certain Side A ever beat Obama, calling him crazy or otherwise.
                            Not the point.

Comment

Because we arent as good at it as they are. They attack over the things people care about (most of which dont matter or make any sense but still) and we spend 5 hours arguing over who is more LGBTQ friendly and calling anyone who isnt far enough Left a DINO or Republican. They talk about lessening the role the government has to make decisions for us (even though they havent done that in my lifetime) which is appealing to most people and we talk about all the ways you are stupid and we are gonna force you to change. (Kepler and I are great examples of this)

They know how to play the game with evolving rules, we are playing by the old rules and wondering why we cant compete. Hell we havent even learned from our victories (2018 Midterms) let alone our defeats. The GOP is handing us the win on Health Care alone but instead all we as voters are doing are looking for clever ways to talk about how [insert candidate here that isnt our person] is scum, a Republican operative and should quit now.

That crap *** medium article geezer posted (no attack on you geezer) is a perfect example of why the Dems dont win these fights. Add in a complicit media and there ya go.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Gotta disagree here. You have to call things as you see them. From what I've read Nazi gatherings were enthusiastic as well and although I'm not sure how polite the individuals were at those things, the parallels here are uncanny.

Trump is a showman and a very good one. The question for voters is this - do you value that over putting kids in cages, extorting allies in their fights with enemies to aid your re-election, have the Justice Dept investigate rivals but go easy on your political henchmen, etc etc. If you do value that more, then yes you're in the cult. Now is the time to get serious and choose sides. If you're more interested in the spectacle instead of the KKK rhetoric and actions then you're part of the problem and most likely a future victim of an internet scam or two.
                                Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Working...
                                X