Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Thanks a—hole.

(No sarcasm. Seriously, f- you.)
    54 '40 or Fight!

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Minnesota Nice is actually Minnesota Passive-Aggressive, and it’s alive and well in the Twin Cities. Perhaps back in the day it was a sincere and true for when the people of German descent were dealing with the Scandinavian people, but that’s about it. Nobody believes that the Nice is actually nice these days, and the term is only ever used in jest at my office and between friends.
      Were dealing with??!

Dos yermans ver a bunch of tic headed, fat, slow tinking brutes. And short.

Dealing with . . .

Comment

Drew Magary is an excellent writer.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
          Minnesota Nice is actually Minnesota Passive-Aggressive, and it’s alive and well in the Twin Cities. Perhaps back in the day it was a sincere and true for when the people of German descent were dealing with the Scandinavian people, but that’s about it. Nobody believes that the Nice is actually nice these days, and the term is only ever used in jest at my office and between friends.
          I’m not sure I buy this entirely. I’ve traveled a lot and know to keep to myself in a lot of places. Minnesota is one of the only places where striking up a conversation with someone isn’t difficult. Sure, some people will still sneer at your audacious attempt to be a human, but most won’t.

Minnesota Nice isn’t what it was 100 years ago but it’s nothing like you describe. It’s what you want to make of it.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Minnesota Nice isn’t what it was 100 years ago but it’s nothing like you describe. It’s what you want to make of it.
            There is nothing either nice or passive-aggressive but thinking makes it so?

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              I’m not sure I buy this entirely. I’ve traveled a lot and know to keep to myself in a lot of places. Minnesota is one of the only places where striking up a conversation with someone isn’t difficult. Sure, some people will still sneer at your audacious attempt to be a human, but most won’t.

If you're at the airport or a bar, you'll get that Minnesota nice conversation. If you're in Target and you step in front of someone's cart, you'll get the kindest sounding passive aggressiveness around.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                Did you actually read any of the content or just the headlines?

Also he doesn't need to become a pseudo fascist to be dangerous. There's an in between on the scale.

you can lead a horse to water but...
                The Atlantic article I'd already seen. I read the WP article you linked to. One of them had a firewall that I couldn't get by, and by that point I figured I'd spent enough time on it. Let's face it, the general tenor of the articles (at least the two I read) are not that different than any number of op-ed pieces or opinions voiced on tv on the subject. I'm familiar with the argument.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  The Atlantic article I'd already seen. I read the WP article you linked to. One of them had a firewall that I couldn't get by, and by that point I figured I'd spent enough time on it. Let's face it, the general tenor of the articles (at least the two I read) are not that different than any number of op-ed pieces or opinions voiced on tv on the subject. I'm familiar with the argument.
                  And yet still indifferent to the possibilities. Que sera sera.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    And yet still indifferent to the possibilities. Que sera sera.
                    I prefer to think of myself as a skeptic, as opposed to indifferent.

I get it. Fear is time-tested method of persuasion or influencing behavior. You use drugs, your brain will be a fried egg. Untold numbers of maladies await me unless I ask my doctor about the various prescription meds advertised on tv at night.

It's especially true in politics. Lee Atwater was a master at it. I've been told for nearly 50 years that Roe v. Wade is about to be reversed. The boogie man, the danger, the horror, it's just around the corner. What a fool I am for not seeing it. I wait. And I wait some more. It's coming.

I've been told since January of 2016 the end is coming. The rule of law is gone. That Nazi Germany is just around the corner. I keep waiting. And I'm told that it's certainly coming if we're stuck with him for another four years. Just wait and see.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Hovey is the frog in the pot of water
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

And the right wing attacks on Pete being gay have started in earnest. Was only a matter of time.

Comment

Ooh we’re at the part of the movie where the straight white dude tells everyone to chill out? I love this part

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            Hovey is the frog in the pot of water
                            The descent into authoritarianism has not generally been sudden or happened overnight. It is slow, until of course it isn't.

Mussolini gradually gained power through the teens and early 20s, eventually convincing people only he was capable of making Italy great again and getting her what she deserved. Sound familiar? trump reminds me more of Mussolini in many ways than he does of Adolph Hitler. He even has that Mussolini head tilted back look down to a science.

We haven't hit the moment yet of no return yet, but the possibility grows stronger each day. I've seen a couple here argue that everything's OK because this is American and we've survived horrible and corrupt leaders before. None of those leaders were fascists. trump has been behaving like one nearly every day he has been president. His road was already partially paved by 40 or more years of the office becoming more and more imperial with every new president.

I'm sorry but if you're not sufficiently worried about the future of this being a country even remotely by, for and of the people, you are not paying attention. Or you're whistling as you walk by the graveyard. This president, and the political party that has allowed our descent into fascism to go even this far, need such a strong rebuke if we are to reverse course that if you can find any reason to vote for someone other than -- at the very least -- the eventual democratic nominee for president, you are part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              I don't think he is a good writer and it has zero to do with the Minnesota bs. The guy has trouble with basic writing skills I doubt he could pass freshmen comp.
                              To clarify my earlier comment, he is in full command of the language and is writing like he does on purpose. It's a style choice. He's a successful novelist, columnist, and sports and lifestyle blogger. You don't have anything to teach him about writing.
                              Now if you're saying you don't like that style, that's fine. But he's a very good writer.
                              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                              USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Ooh we’re at the part of the movie where the straight white dude tells everyone to chill out? I love this part
                                He's the one who told me not to panic about Obergefell or the LGBT cases in front of the Supreme Court. He should read this and imagine it happening to him; yes, I wrote this.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X