Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    You guys have all bought into this nazi/orc/deplorable/racist b.s. hook, line and sinker, such that you are going to end up with four more years of him if you're not careful.
    Let's forget the labels. What do you think of this? Do you think this is normal?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Let's forget the labels. What do you think of this? Do you think this is normal?
      Given Trump’s record of defiance, Barr’s maneuver is predictable—but it is a shocking break with more than 200 years of constitutional and legal precedent.
      I have no idea what Hovey will consider normal but the article states pretty clearly that it is not. But, I guess I have to realize that we are living in a post facts World.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Just a little disagreement over political philosophy.

Nothing dangerous or harmful about it. We'll get past it.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I would think it's certainly not normal. I expect most appeals courts, either at the federal or state level, when they send a decision back to a lower court or to an agency that made the original decision, expect that their ruling will be complied with or followed.

I won't say it's never happened before. I'm almost certain that with enough digging you could find some pretty harshly worded decisions by appeals judges frustrated that their instructions to the trier of fact below were either ignored, misunderstood or misapplied.

But no, I certainly don't think it's normal.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I respect your opinion and your values, but let me ask you this. Is there any reasonably likely (say, > 5%) set of circumstances under which Bernie would be a more dangerous president than Dump? I completely get that his ideology and his (my) preferred policies revolt you. But those policies still lie within the boundaries of democratric government and rule of law. My appeal to you is that no matter how "wrong headed" you think him, Bernie will not end democracy or the world. And Dump actually could.
            Seconded.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
              Gotta disagree here. You have to call things as you see them. From what I've read Nazi gatherings were enthusiastic as well and although I'm not sure how polite the individuals were at those things, the parallels here are uncanny.

Trump is a showman and a very good one. The question for voters is this - do you value that over putting kids in cages, extorting allies in their fights with enemies to aid your re-election, have the Justice Dept investigate rivals but go easy on your political henchmen, etc etc. If you do value that more, then yes you're in the cult. Now is the time to get serious and choose sides. If you're more interested in the spectacle instead of the KKK rhetoric and actions then you're part of the problem and most likely a future victim of an internet scam or two.
              No. You have to call things tongrt elected. Otherwise you are sittinhbin your upper west side apartment wondering how Nixon got elected cause everyone you know voted for mcgovern
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I personally don't think either Bernie or Trump are "dangerous."
                https://www.ft.com/content/3749175a-...0-43d18ec715f5
                https://time.com/5777578/trumps-acqu...-constitution/
                https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/04...nsc-dangerous/
                https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ther-big-test/
                https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...tified/606133/

Meh right?

Comment

You guys have all bought into this nazi/orc/deplorable/racist b.s. hook, line and sinker, such that you are going to end up with four more years of him if you're not careful.
                  Anybody who still supports the guy is ok with him referring to the nazis in Charlottesville as "fine people" or at best are willing to overlook or make excuses for it. So that characterization isn't exactly inaccurate, not to even get into their various inhumane policies.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                    Anybody who still supports the guy is ok with him referring to the nazis in Charlottesville as "fine people" or at best are willing to overlook or make excuses for it. So that characterization isn't exactly inaccurate, not to even get into their various inhumane policies.
                    This. They may not be white supremacists or Nazis themselves, but being aligned with or lumped in with them isn't a deal-breaker, either.

Me personally, I don't want to be in any group that includes prominent numbers of white supremacists. No matter what might be in it for me.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I am a White Suburbanite Middle Class Straight Male...I literally couldn't benefit more from this administration. (even the Jew part doesnt hurt...for now) Basic logic though, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Are there people calling him "dangerous," including those looking to sell newspapers or magazines, or draw clicks to websites? Sure.

Are there people who disagree with my opinion? Sure.

It doesn't mean I'm wrong. It doesn't mean I'm right. It's just my opinion.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Are there people calling him "dangerous," including those looking to sell newspapers or magazines, or draw clicks to websites? Sure.

Lemme guess. You think climate scientists are on the take, right?

We are seeing 30's Germany in real time and this is how it happens. We know the same conversations were going on back then, too. People haven't changed in 900 years so they certainly haven't in 90.
                          Last edited by Kepler; 02-13-2020, 01:30 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Are there people who disagree with my opinion? Sure.

It doesn't mean I'm wrong. It doesn't mean I'm right. It's just my opinion.
                            If you want to be nice to and pal around with Nazis and their sympathizers be my guest. However count me out of the camp that Chump is invincible. Its not about winning over his supporters. That's a waste of time.
                            Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              He's getting re-elected. It's the economy, dumbarse.

Comment

Lemme guess. You think climate scientists are on the take, right?

We are seeing 30's Germany in real time and this is how it happens. We know the same conversations were going on back then, too. People haven't changed in 900 years so they certainly haven't in 90.
                                I think climate change is real.

Comment

Working...
                                X