Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

If Liz is toast I guess I will be moving over to Bernie for my vote in the primary.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      https://t.co/6DXbfGoZL3?amp=1

Interesting from salon.
      That's an excellent piece. I recommend all the Centrist Dems read it. It explains in far more clear language what I'm on about.

The CW of the last 40 years is wrong: we do not win by moving to the center. We win by articulating a message coming from the edge. Political realities will do their share to sand off any edges Centrists may be uncomfortable with. But to galvanize support we have to preach what we practice.

We win by moving left. It won't all get enacted. Unfortunately, precious little of it will especially at first with the vampire squid having such a stranglehold on our institutions. But we will not make progress until we start turning the screw back in the correct direction, not just continuing to tighten it around our necks, only more slowly.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        That's an excellent piece. I recommend all the Centrist Dems read it. It explains in far more clear language what I'm on about.

The CW of the last 40 years is wrong: we do not win by moving to the center. We win by articulating a message coming from the edge. Political realities will do their share to sand off any edges Centrists may be uncomfortable with. But to galvanize support we have to preach what we practice.

We win by moving left. It won't all get enacted. Unfortunately, precious little of it will especially at first with the vampire squid having such a stranglehold on our institutions. But we will not make progress until we start turning the screw back in the correct direction, not just continuing to tighten it around our necks, only more slowly.
        Those articles are a lot of wonky BS with no practical application in the real world.

The problem with appealing to the so-called disillusioned voter who now favors Chump is racism which was not covered nearly enough in either piece. People who vote Trump or Le Pen or whoever are not driven by policy choices or economic issues. They simply want to stick it to people who are different from them. Its not any more complicated than that. Too many professors and economists and think tank denizens want to believe that 45% of this country are not in fact racists. I didn't want to believe that before 2016. But they are. While its underreported on purpose by the media in their quest to make Republicans look not so bad, I read a piece recently about a gun show in Michigan where they were selling Nazi memorabilia. Regardless of your conservatism or love of Trump, on what planet is that acceptable unless your racism goes far deeper than your political ideology?

We've had this discussion before and we'll have it again I'm sure. Trump voters may completely agree with Sanders on trade. They may like the idea M4A and UBI. BUT, unless Sanders decides to start blaming non-whites for all of society's ills, these voters will not vote for him over Chump. Its a sad reality, but it is what it is. The GOP is the party of open and proud white supremacism. The sooner Dems start realizing that and unify around whoever wins the nomination because the difference between Sanders and Bloomberg for example doesn't matter, the better off they're going to be.

They also might want to update the part about Jeremy Corbyn as an example of winning progressivism. Did anybody see the results of the last election in the UK?
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
          Liz 9%, is she toast also?
          Probably, but I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            The CW of the last 40 years is wrong: we do not win by moving to the center. We win by .
            ah no... "we" win after R failure (nixon/ford. bush and the recession/perot. bush/iraq.)
            that's it. center, left, schmeft. you need an excuse for voters.

unless the economy tanks, D have no shot in november. fact.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              I joke because I spent years working in Manchester. I love NH, but it was a lot whiter than Minnesota
              People who think MN is lilly-white haven't spent any time in the City of Minneapolis proper.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                People who think MN is lilly-white haven't spent any time in the City of Minneapolis proper.
                walk hmong the locals?!?!
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  Was last night a disaster for Bloomberg? It seems to me that the rise of Buttigieg and Klobuchar is bad for him.
                  No, its perfect for him. Mayo Pete and Amy keep splitting the centrist vote, so no clear winner coming from the center, may do enough to prevent Bernie from running away with it, or even manage to pass him by, we end up nearing convention time with no clear consensus, and in sweeps Bloomberg and his billions as the great white savior of the party.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Time will tell on Bloomberg. There's zero clarity right now after the first couple of contests.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      Time will tell on Bloomberg. There's zero clarity right now after the first couple of contests.
                      When does he fully participate in a primary?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                        When does he fully participate in a primary?
                        I think he kicks off on Super Tuesday. He's specifically blowing off the first 4 contests (IA-NH-NV-SC). Whether that's due to ballot access, late entry, a lack of delegates to be won, or some combo of that I'm not exactly sure.

Comment

I think he kicks off on Super Tuesday. He's specifically blowing off the first 4 contests (IA-NH-NV-SC). Whether that's due to ballot access, late entry, a lack of delegates to be won, or some combo of that I'm not exactly sure.
                          I will say this about Bloomberg. He has good television ads.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

He's not on the ballot, that'd be the main issue there.

Comment

I can definitely see him not starting out in IA; New York Jewish billionaire is going to have quite the uphill climb there; SC too; NH and NV seem like they would be much better ground for him, though maybe he figured that Bernie's proximity made NH harder and maybe Biden's union ties making NV harder; though in the end you could make an excuse for every state I suppose.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Liz and Biden are Melba toast at this point.

If she's out by Michigan, I'm going with Bernie.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X