Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Democratic Challengers 9: Can we climb this mountain? I don't know.

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    I don't think she was, and I agree it's a sexist projection. I'm trying to come up with reasons why she didn't rebound from her sinking poll numbers after debates 2-4.
    Message. The people weren't buying what she was selling. She's a technocrat and she ran in an emotional election which is about either feeling safe and grounded again (Buttigieg) or raging against the machine (Sanders). To a large extent this is also why Warren failed. She checked the boxes on policy but this election is not about policy, it's about emotion.

Biden is failing because he's running as the safe uncle but people are seeing him as the demented grandpa heading towards hospice. He's unsettling.

By my prediction, Klobuchar should be able to have a deep run because she projects as very stable, while Bloomberg should have a pretty low ceiling because his billions are destabilizing even if they are a pragmatic "fighting fire with fire."

I can see a situation where Warren's support gradually drains to Sanders while Biden's drains to Klobuchar and Buttigieg, and we wind up with a threeway. Since none of those candidates is particularly attractive to POC, they then become the kingmakers. Either they throw in behind one of the three, or they take it all the way to the convention and we get a breakthrough nominee Stacy Abrams or Your Latinx Here.
    Last edited by Kepler; 02-11-2020, 11:01 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Message. The people weren't buying what she was selling. She's a technocrat and she ran in an emotional election which is about either feeling safe and grounded again (Buttigieg) or raging against the machine (Sanders). To a large extent this is also why Warren failed. She checked the boxes on policy but this election is not about policy, it's about emotion.

Biden is failing because he's running as the safe uncle but people are seeing him as the demented grandpa heading towards hospice. He's unsettling.

By my prediction, Klobuchar should be able to hang longer because she projects as very stable, while Bloomberg should have a pretty low ceiling because his billions are destabilizing even if they are a pragmatic "fighting fire with fire."
      I think it’s more a case of her being strictly an identity politics candidate and that only appeals to so many people.
      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        I think it’s more a case of her being strictly an identity politics candidate and that only appeals to so many people.
        Of course you do.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

By my prediction, Klobuchar should be able to hang longer because she projects as very stable, while Bloomberg should have a pretty low ceiling because his billions are destabilizing even if they are a pragmatic "fighting fire with fire."
          I'm starting to take Bloomberg a lot more seriously. Two things stick out for me. 1) He has an ungodly amount of money - even more than Putin and the Russian intelligence services are willing to throw at Trump's re-election. That in itself might just make him another Howard Schultz or Tom Steyer, except... 2) He is waaaay more media savvy than his fellow billionaires, probably in no small part from running his own media company. Bloomberg is everywhere - TV, social media, etc in lots of markets.

So, if Biden craps out because people think he's senile and Buttigieg craps out based on inexperience, the "fighting fire with fire" phenomenon could come into play for a decent amount of people.
          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Of course you do.
            The difference between her and say Seth Moulton is...?
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              I don't think she was, and I agree it's a sexist projection. I'm trying to come up with reasons why she didn't rebound from her sinking poll numbers after debates 2-4.
              I have heard things like this...makes me shake my head but it is out there.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                That Moulton was boring as heck who had nothing to say half the time. Harris was twice the candidate he was.

BTW if you are concern trolling stop...racism is not the game to play unless you have the troll skills to back it up. You dont so you just look like a second rate Klansman.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  I still say Buttigieg is suffering in polls among black voters because he's married to a dude. Every mayor in the country has had to deal with white cops shooting unarmed black men and Buttigieg handled it no worse than most others and better than some.
                  He fired the city's first ever police chief after someone recorded his officers (one of which shot Eric Logan) saying blatantly racist things (about said black police chief) and receiving donations from donors with ties to the white officers. And for some reason the city council is pushing for the tapes to be destroyed rather than be released publicly. And the officers who were allegedly caught saying, "It is going to be a fun time when all white people are in charge", might have something to do with the fact that blacks get arrested at a far higher rate for marijuana, beaten up even though they don't match the description of the suspect, or shot... these things are likely intertwined and have a lot more to do with black people (esp young black people) distrusting the mayor than being gay. Not to mention the all lives matter rhetoric and not doing anything about his police wearing blatantly racist t-shirts re Eric Garner and I almost for his Joe Biden answer of not wanting the vote of the black Eric Logan protester.

Sorry but the guy has done nothing to warrant the idea that he's ready to be president.
                  Last edited by trixR4kids; 02-11-2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    second rate Klansman
                    Worst MCU character ever.
                    Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                      He fired the city's first ever police chief after someone recorded his officers (one of which shot Eric Logan) saying blatantly racist things (about said black police chief) and receiving donations from donors with ties to the white officers.
                      The cops hate him too, so I guess since everybody hates him, he's probably not qualified.

You are also absolutely misrepresenting what happened with Boykins (the chief). The only person involved in that mess who got railroaded was Karen DePaepe, the civilian communications director for the department. And the mayor didn't fire Boykins, he was demoted to Captain. Federal investigators told Buttigieg at the time that Boykins role in the alleged affair would very possibly lead to federal charges. As well, the officer who shot Eric Logan was NOT named as one of the officers who was on the tapes.

I'm not saying Buttigieg handled the issue well. He isn't who I support among those running for the nomination or even my SECOND choice I'm also not defending any of these cops -- including the one who killed Logan. Anyone who knows me know I rarely defend cops and think police departments in every corner of the country have become riddled with racism. But you need to get your facts a little straighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        So why didn't they support Harris or Booker in greater numbers? Because Harris was a prosecutor who sounded like their scolding auntie and Booker is a Wall Street shill?
                        Psssssst (colored)
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

You are also absolutely misrepresenting what happened with Boykins (the chief). The only person involved in that mess who got railroaded was Karen DePaepe, the civilian communications director for the department. And the mayor didn't fire Boykins, he was demoted to Captain.
                          He was fired, that part has been widely reported on. Unless every publication is getting this fact wrong I'm not really sure what your point of contention is.

Federal investigators told Buttigieg at the time that Boykins role in the alleged affair would very possibly lead to federal charges.
                          But they didn't and it's not like anything Pete does would influence that in any way because that isn't how federal investigations work.

As well, the officer who shot Eric Logan was NOT named as one of the officers who was on the tapes.
                          He might not have been caught in those particular tapes (not certain because they're blocking the release of the tapes) but other officers did file reports on him for being racist in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Seth Moulton's a dooshbag.

BTW, how's his campaign doing?
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

The cops hate him too, so I guess since everybody hates him, he's probably not qualified.

You are also absolutely misrepresenting what happened with Boykins (the chief). The only person involved in that mess who got railroaded was Karen DePaepe, the civilian communications director for the department. And the mayor didn't fire Boykins, he was demoted to Captain. Federal investigators told Buttigieg at the time that Boykins role in the alleged affair would very possibly lead to federal charges. As well, the officer who shot Eric Logan was NOT named as one of the officers who was on the tapes.

I'm not saying Buttigieg handled the issue well. He isn't who I support among those running for the nomination or even my SECOND choice I'm also not defending any of these cops -- including the one who killed Logan. Anyone who knows me know I rarely defend cops and think police departments in every corner of the country have become riddled with racism. But you need to get your facts a little straighter.
                              Facts? Pfft, like Bernouts need those. You're just supposed to be OUTRAGED at racist Mayo Cheat!

The more I think about this, the more I think I'm going back to my original crypto-conservative () choice Liz Warren, electability be d@mned.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                No you are one because you wanted Sarah Palin to be Veep
                                We went to Alaska for hockey and I read 2 articles on Palin - one in the plane magazine - about what a great governor she was. And I have a spot for women candidates. How'd that pan out? Not so good.

Biden gives me the creeps with the hair sniffing. #MeToo.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X