X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge: Choose A Number

Good afternoon Lodge.

Are any of you that are still working, taking vacation days when you planned them, even if the vacation won't be happening? I had put in for time off for the Frozen Four next week. I think I'm still going to take it. Wear a hockey jersey around the house and enjoy a vacation as best I can. I'm not going to do very well at jersey bingo, as the only college one's I have are Michigan and RIT.

Maybe we should encourage all our facebook friends to post pictures in their college hockey jerseys on Thursday and Saturday next week so we can still play jersey bingo
    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
    2 Alaskan

Comment

I had planned to take yesterday off to go to Opening Day. I still took it off and today as well. Wednesday was the one year anniversary of my father passing away. I wanted a couple of days to not have the deal with work. Went to the cemetery. Then I went to the supermarket, got home and had to shower, wash my clothes, etc. Didn't want to deal with work while doing all that. Weather-wise today is crap, so I'm trying to relax and watch some TV. Did more laundry. Going to have leftovers for dinner. Hoping to take a few more says like that over the next couple of months as I do not envision any opportunity for taking an actual vacation.

I did check my work email and saw that we are still getting Monday the 20th off. It's Patriot's Day here. Our office usually gets the day off because we're two blocks from the marathon finish line and it's usually super crowded around our building. Glad that we'll get that long weekend.

Comment

Good Evening Lodge!

So far I was supposed to have been in St Croix for 10 days and I was leaving for Williamsburg in 3 days. Also had a baby shower, wedding and trip to Idaho all cancelled. mr les is working thru everything.

I watched the sunset via FB video chat the other evening but that has been it. Have driven less than 5 miles in 3 weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
          Good Evening Lodge!

So far I was supposed to have been in St Croix for 10 days and I was leaving for Williamsburg in 3 days. Also had a baby shower, wedding and trip to Idaho all cancelled. mr les is working thru everything.

I watched the sunset via FB video chat the other evening but that has been it. Have driven less than 5 miles in 3 weeks.
          I drove about 160 miles yesterday, did the 494-694 loop twice to get my baby to sleep. We’re trying to figure out how to curb the car ride pacifier habit, but we aren’t there yet. We’ve been scouring different lists for baby swings that look good to us. She’s 24” and over 14lbs already, huge for her age. Her two-month checkup is next week, so we’re worried about how long anything we buy can last us.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
            I drove about 160 miles yesterday, did the 494-694 loop twice to get my baby to sleep. We’re trying to figure out how to curb the car ride pacifier habit, but we aren’t there yet. We’ve been scouring different lists for baby swings that look good to us. She’s 24” and over 14lbs already, huge for her age. Her two-month checkup is next week, so we’re worried about how long anything we buy can last us.
            Put the car seat by the washing machine or the washer/dryer. it makes a nice swishy noise that is rhythmic. Dishwasher is good if it is loud enough.
            ALso sometimes using an oscillating fan will work.
            Most babies do not have any kind of schedule until they are 6 months old at least. Anyone who tells you different lies. Once in awhile there will be a kid that sleeps thru early but ususally kiddos need to eat at least once during the night until 6 months. They don't need to sleep on a schedule. You need them to. Dr Ferber's book "Solve your child's sleep problems" has a superb explanation of how sleep works in kids.
            Most kids go thru growth spurts that have them eating like crazy and having disturbed sleep-- followed by a patch where they are not eating as much and may sleep better. The books will tell you things settle down at 6-8 weeks. Most kids seem to spurt right about then and have new parents freaking because they thought they had it figured out and the books say it should be fine. Its BS. Unless the kid is wailing uncontrollably it is OK to let them hang out and fuss a bit. It blows off steam. Sort of like when you are really aggravated, yell a bit and then feel better'

::unsolicited advise from my stockpile of canned speeches from the old days::

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              Good afternoon Lodge.

Are any of you that are still working, taking vacation days when you planned them, even if the vacation won't be happening? I had put in for time off for the Frozen Four next week. I think I'm still going to take it. Wear a hockey jersey around the house and enjoy a vacation as best I can. I'm not going to do very well at jersey bingo, as the only college one's I have are Michigan and RIT.

Maybe we should encourage all our facebook friends to post pictures in their college hockey jerseys on Thursday and Saturday next week so we can still play jersey bingo
              I will be still taking the days off I have off, although some plans have changed. I was going to travel around the state to different breweries, but they can't be "open" (as in, they can only do pickups/curbside) until at least May 1, so what's the point if I can't go in and get the fabric/story of the brewery from the staff/locals, you know? Plus, the local restaurants also cannot be open until that same date.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    Put the car seat by the washing machine or the washer/dryer. it makes a nice swishy noise that is rhythmic. Dishwasher is good if it is loud enough.
                    ALso sometimes using an oscillating fan will work.
                    Most babies do not have any kind of schedule until they are 6 months old at least. Anyone who tells you different lies. Once in awhile there will be a kid that sleeps thru early but ususally kiddos need to eat at least once during the night until 6 months. They don't need to sleep on a schedule. You need them to. Dr Ferber's book "Solve your child's sleep problems" has a superb explanation of how sleep works in kids.
                    Most kids go thru growth spurts that have them eating like crazy and having disturbed sleep-- followed by a patch where they are not eating as much and may sleep better. The books will tell you things settle down at 6-8 weeks. Most kids seem to spurt right about then and have new parents freaking because they thought they had it figured out and the books say it should be fine. Its BS. Unless the kid is wailing uncontrollably it is OK to let them hang out and fuss a bit. It blows off steam. Sort of like when you are really aggravated, yell a bit and then feel better'

::unsolicited advise from my stockpile of canned speeches from the old days::
                    Thanks. I read this to my wife. She wants the schedule, and her friends are pushing the schedule, but I’ve always been more relaxed in most schedules my entire life. Your advice works great for me! And hearing advice from a pro has her settled down a bit.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Thanks. I read this to my wife. She wants the schedule, and her friends are pushing the schedule, but I’ve always been more relaxed in most schedules my entire life. Your advice works great for me! And hearing advice from a pro has her settled down a bit.
                      Glad it was helpful. Wasn't sure if I was being a buttinski. In this crazy world it is normal to want a schedule. mr les is not a schedule guy. I grew up with dad les who plans things to the minute and loses his mind if they aren't complied with. I don't do well without a schedule. It was an adjustment for both of us.

Those of you who do not have kids scroll on past

Some nice hints -
                      - Schedules can be comforting. In times where you are anxious having predictability can be the thing that keeps you OK. Esp in times like these.
                      - Some kids will regulate early but lots don't. Just like some babies come out wailing and others come out looking around- It is the way they are- not because you are failing at it.
                      -The baby might not have a 'schedule' that is exact but they are somewhat predictable in the pattern they have. The timing might change but you can usually see there is a pattern to what they do when.
                      -Baby may not have a schedule but You can have a routine to how you do things. After feeding, changing, then maybe cuddle time for a few minutes then into the crib- while you clean up.
                      -Babies can take a bit to figure out if something is soothing. Adults will sometimes rush thru different ways to comfort hoping to hit on the right one. Imagine you are overwhelmed, trying to figure out what is happening and someone keeps changing the TV station before you have figured out what the story line is. Be patient. It is OK if the kid is crying. No baby dies of crying. If you offer the binkie and then offer it a few times. That way the baby has time to become unfrantic and decide it wants the binkie. If you try the binkie one time, it is spit out then you try something else the bink might have been the answer.
                      -Don't use TV, phone - that is uber stimulating. The baby may appear calm but the brain is being stimulated like crazy. Not good- when you take it away frequently they lose their minds. Kids need to learn to self soothe.
                      -kids cannot be spoiled until they get the idea of consequence (toddlerhood). They can get used to a routine or pattern. So- if it won't be OK later, don't do it now. Don't play games in the middle of the night if the kiddo is playful. Then the kiddo wants to play games in the middle of the night every time. Fine if no one needs to work in the morning but if you do, then you are a wreck and no skin off the kiddo's back. They take a nap. Same thing with driving in the car (extremely stimulating- visually) to get to sleep. That becomes the cue to fall asleep. No cue- no sleep.

-Adults can have a schedule even if the baby doesn't. Take 'shifts' . Certain times of day you are on or she is. It can be frustrating to realize a whole day has gone by and you haven't managed to get a single thing done. Esp if you are someone who is usually efficient or you judge yourself by what you have accomplished. If you are 'on' then she can plan to nap, get things done, string time together to make a plan to sort something out or just veg.
                      - Alternate nights on and off. Women frequently feel the Dad 'works' so they should always take the night shift. I call BS to that. It is a lot of work to take care of a kid. You do it better if you get good rest.
                      - People always have 'great' advice. When it comes to babies they all 'know how it should be done' and have no trouble letting you know and passing judgment. Say thanks for the input and caring and try to let it go. They mean well. In times like these they may perserevate and haunt you about whether you did what they said. The sin of omission is OK. If they get like that change the subject after thanking them for caring.
                      -It is normal if you feel like you aren't getting it right, you should be better at it, so and so didn't have these problems. No parent, no matter how many kids. gets it right all the time, feels in control all the time. The ones you think do are either lying or faking it well.
                      -Unless it is CPR or calling poison control look at the long term big picture. 5 yrs from now the kid will not remember it cried for 10 minutes while you took a shower, it ate only 3 ounces this time, or the but got a little red because you didn't realize they managed to po*p when you started the hour drive. You learn from what you do. You will NOT get it right the first time every time.
                      -Biggest take home-- be patient with yourselves. You won't be perfect and the kid won't care. Blow off the people that make you feel inadequate or frustrated and start as you wish to continue.

And now back to your regularly scheduled posting.

Comment

Good Morning, Lodge!
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good Morning, Lodge!
                          Originally posted by Skeeterman
                          Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                          "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Mookie scrolled

But if les didn’t add remember this.

Babies are allowed to cry. When they do one doesn’t need to go run and check on them or see what they need.

Headphones on you a nice option
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Good Evening Lodge!

I am sore. Dug a 25 foot, 2 ft deep trench in heavy clay soil with lots of rocks. My body is very unhappy.

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
                                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                                2023 National Champions
                                ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                                ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                                East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                                Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                                Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                                Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X