Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

United has started to charge a fee for carryon bags. Just an FYI because my mother-in-law found out the hard way this past week.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

w00t!!
      all booked
      thanks for the input everyone. It was helpful!
      And I could avoid San Juan- good idea with all the earthquake stuff

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
        THat gives me the shivers. Was at the pre-screening for Brazil Boys movie where people were disappeared and never came back. Left me scarred for life. Add they have a newly elected guy who is a right wing nut job- no thanks.

My first thought would be to go somewhere tRump doesn't hate with a passion because if he gets elected he will have diarrhea of the mouth on steroids and they will get crazy about Americans. (First time they can say we all aren't as scummy as he is, second time it will be our fault). Maybe a backwoods tour somewhere with no electronics
        Brazil is definitely off the list until Bolsonaro is out.

Part of me is also toying with the idea of going to Mexico, but that could end badly if Trump wins again.

Comment

Trump likes the Nordic countries. I’d recommend Finland

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Starting to poke around on election season escape options, because I'm dead fcking serious about being out of the country for at least 9-10 days starting 10/29 or 10/30.

So far, based on my interests, I've been thinking:

-Spain
            -Japan
            -Taiwan (possibly combined with a few days in Singapore on arriving or departing end)
            -Argentina/Uruguay

I would definitely hold off on Asia until we see how this coronavirus thing goes, but has anyone been to southern South America?
            For south of the border you should consider Costa Rica and Panama. I have been to both Arg/Uru and I loved both but it was 1986.

For SE Asia I would consider Thailand and Vietnam instead of Taiwan, but that is not to suggest you should avoid Taiwan I've just never been. While there were a few cases of the virus in Thailand it's barely a handful and it is highly unlikely to spread. Plus since the Chinese have been one of their biggest sources of tourism, depending upon the timing you might get great pricing and/or a lot less traffic.

For Europe honestly I don't know if there are any wrong answers. A lot of it depends upon what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              For SE Asia I would consider Thailand and Vietnam instead of Taiwan, but that is not to suggest you should avoid Taiwan I've just never been. While there were a few cases of the virus in Thailand it's barely a handful and it is highly unlikely to spread. Plus since the Chinese have been one of their biggest sources of tourism, depending upon the timing you might get great pricing and/or a lot less traffic..
              just crazy how expensive thailand has become. and not just the thb strengthening. go to vietnam and get more bang for your dong
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                For SE Asia I would consider Thailand and Vietnam instead of Taiwan
                Just go to Vancouver.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  Just go to Vancouver.
                  I've been there twice, but it's been several years. It's like a chiller version of Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    I've been there twice, but it's been several years. It's like a chiller version of Seattle.
                    Well, it is farther north.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Just go to Vancouver.
                      Win.

Or maybe somewhere like Bermuda- nice people, too small for the Rump to hate on and island people tend to be much more mellow

Comment

Just go to Vancouver.
                        Figure Mrs. burd and I are set. Daughter who lives there and is an immigration attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          Win.

Or maybe somewhere like Bermuda- nice people, too small for the Rump to hate on and island people tend to be much more mellow
                          That doesn't work with my joke, which was racist.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                            Daughter who lives there and is an immigration attorney.
                            Can she get Dr. Mrs. and me in? We're rich and we know state secrets.

(Looks at Vancouver housing market)

OK, we're middle class and we know state secrets.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 01-27-2020, 12:36 PM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              Figure Mrs. burd and I are set. Daughter who lives there and is an immigration attorney.
                              Can you adopt me? If only mum les would apply for citizenship in the UK then I would be in there. (yes, I looked into it before Brexit)

Comment

China appears to have bungled this epidemic.

Wuhan mayor is saying he was stopped from reporting it earlier and 5 million people left city before quarantine. Curious to see if he ends up dead

Comment

Working...
                                X