Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

I’m very curious to see how effective the quarantine is during this holiday weekend.

I don’t doubt that the Chinese gov can run an effective quarantine, but a quarantine can have negative consequences particularly when your government is a tad authoritarian

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      I’m very curious to see how effective the quarantine is during this holiday weekend.

I don’t doubt that the Chinese gov can run an effective quarantine, but a quarantine can have negative consequences particularly when your government is a tad authoritarian
      Won't be that hard, they can always send in PLA peons from the closest base to assist the cops with enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Apparently Thailand is freaking out because there's enormous tourism from China there (sex tourism?). They're stopping people at airports.

Also, this is a thing.
        Last edited by Kepler; 01-23-2020, 09:06 AM.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Also, this is a thing.
          Yes, I remember when that was immensely popular.

Comment

Apparently Thailand is freaking out because there's enormous tourism from China there (sex tourism?). They're stopping people at airports.

Also, this is a thing.
            I remember that from when they were trying to get people to understand the 'bird flu' risks.

Trying to find the best flight to the USVI- St Croix. I am traveling very light because my GF is the same size and I can wear stuff out of her closet.

last time you all told me to use Matrix and the Skyscanner app. Any others I should try?
            I know to avoid Spirit like the plague.

Delta looks cheapest. Any thoughts, words of wisdom?

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post

Drink heavily and be asleep before wheels are up. You’ll do fine
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Drink heavily and be asleep before wheels are up. You’ll do fine
                The traveling part is not the problem. It is trying to figure out which airline is a sh1tshow now and how not to spend 500$ more to get to the same place

Comment

I remember that from when they were trying to get people to understand the 'bird flu' risks.

Trying to find the best flight to the USVI- St Croix. I am traveling very light because my GF is the same size and I can wear stuff out of her closet.

last time you all told me to use Matrix and the Skyscanner app. Any others I should try?
                  I know to avoid Spirit like the plague.

Delta is McDonalds: it does the job without style or comfort. TBH the whole experience of flying now is a goat rope, and anything short of first class is steerage on a slave transport, so make your plans based on your schedule and if you have connections allow more time for the hop than you think you need.

As an Over 50-American I can remember when flying, even peon class, was fun. What happened to flying is all you need to refute the myth that the market will naturally tend towards the delivery of greater value at lower cost.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Delta is McDonalds: it does the job without style or comfort. TBH the whole experience of flying now is a goat rope, and anything short of first class is steerage on a slave transport, so make your plans based on your schedule and if you have connections allow more time for the hop than you think you need.

As an Over 50-American I can remember when flying, even peon class, was fun. What happened to flying is all you need to refute the myth that the market will naturally tend towards the delivery of greater value at lower cost.
                    This. And for a long time, if you had experience it helped you do things smoothly. I have flown domestic and international since the early 70s. I used to do it without much thought because I had a system that worked to make things go well. Now all bets are off.

Comment

In cattle they’re all chitshows.

Fly business / first.
                      Or step on drunk and pass out.

—mookie knew what les was asking

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        In cattle they’re all chitshows.

Fly business / first.
                        Or step on drunk and pass out.

—mookie knew what les was asking
                        I wish to all of the above but not that flush with $$

Comment

I wish to all of the above but not that flush with $$

Well at least you can sit at the bar and have dudes buy you drinks before boarding

Comment

That's up for debate. In the 70s when econ seats were roomier, real food was still served even in the back of the bus, and airlines were heavily regulated, the adjusted cost of an economy ticket in today's dollars was a luxury good on the level of flying business class to Europe today.

Economy class today is a commodified normal good offered by an oligopoly, like a Greyhound bus. However, it allows more people to see the world and 42% of Americans now have a passport (the highest number ever). Also, no more secondhand smoke!

EDIT: Also, I'm a little biased, but Delta is more like Chik Fil A. You hate a certain aspect of them (union busting, in their case), but you've eaten enough fast food that there's no question the product is still better than McNuggets (United/American), or a 7-11 hot dog (Spirit).
                            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 01-24-2020, 09:30 AM.

Comment

US gradients -- (all chit)

delta

(mookie has not been on frontier or alaskan)

Comment

I fly Alaska pretty much exclusively and don’t really have problems, though my experience as an Alaskan resident is undoubtedly different than your folks’.
                                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Working...
                                X