Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    More people now infected by corona than ever were with SARS. What a stellar job by the Chinese gov yet again. And they still claim to be balancing economics along with health.

This may not peak until April, which means I may not get to do my trip and graduate.
    I'm willing to bet that there's a connection to this illness rate being higher for coronavirus than SARS and the worsening air quality in China over past 18 years. Anybody remember seeing aerial shots from Beijing during the Olympics? Oof!
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I'm willing to bet that there's a connection to this illness rate being higher for coronavirus than SARS and the worsening air quality in China over past 18 years. Anybody remember seeing aerial shots from Beijing during the Olympics? Oof!
      Wait until everyone has to see it again in two years. I wonder if the CCP will restrict the use of city skyline shots because of it.

Comment

Anyone have experience flying in/out of Spain? Other than the Barcelona/Madrid airports, are any of the smaller airports worth the hassle or is it better to train to/from the bigger airports?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Daughter living in Vancouver goes to her walk-in clinic to get a prescription in preparation for travel to Ecuador and Galapagos. A patient there had just flown in from Wuhan Province and was seeking treatment. I guess she must have overheard some intake information, or they had a conversation in the waiting room. Since there are so many Chinese in Vancouver, they are probably taking extra precautions--likely blocking flights now. Freaked her out a little, needless to say. Sad to have to disown your own child to protect your own health.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
            Anyone have experience flying in/out of Spain? Other than the Barcelona/Madrid airports, are any of the smaller airports worth the hassle or is it better to train to/from the bigger airports?
            I had no problems flying into or out of Granada. Madrid was another story altogether
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
              I had no problems flying into or out of Granada. Madrid was another story altogether
              I've never flown there but my parents were held up outside a police station in Madrid. They had gone there to report a stolen purse. When my dad told the cops they just laughed at him. Nice.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                I've flown in /out of Madrid/ Barca/ Malaga/ Valencia. No real problems at any of them, but usually I clear customs in Amsterdam. In Madrid, I usually take the subway into the city. You do have to watch traffic going back to the airport though.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Anyone have any experience with Amsterdam at the beginning of June? Have a friend based there. Looking at a week's hotel stay maybe. Seeing some flights from Portugal Air but also seeing mixed reviews. Trying to figure out if we can do it on a budget. Was there when I was a kid but not since.
                  Last edited by leswp1; 02-03-2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                    Anyone have any experience with Amsterdam at the beginning of June?
                    If you're going to be there for a whole week, think about planning a train trip or two to smaller cities/other areas. The Netherlands is a small country, but Amsterdam doesn't represent all of it. I didn't take that advice when I went years ago, but next time I go I'm definitely doing that. Utrecht and Groningen are supposed to be really nice.

June, I imagine the tourist parts of Amsterdam will be a madhouse of college students "firing up" for the summer if you get my drift.

Comment

• Re: Travel 4: All Around the World Same Song

I liked Utrecht, den Haag, and Rotterdam and delft.

I think June is a bit late for tulips, but weather should be decent

Comment

We went a lot of places when I was a kid (looong time ago) and I would love to do it again but we are on a tight budget this Spring. Loved Delft. Went to Edam- YUMMY cheese. Saw Rembrandt and a few other famous artsie things, went on the canals.

Trying to figure out how manageable it is to do it on a shoestring. Have just started looking. Hadn't thought of Utrecht, den Hague. I would be all set bringing a jar of peanut butter, getting some bread and calling that breakfast and lunch. mr les is a bit less adventurous.

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          Anyone have any experience with Amsterdam at the beginning of June? Have a friend based there..
                          no offense ()...but wouldn't the friend already there have a better grip on the experience that this bag of clowns?
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            no offense ()...but wouldn't the friend already there have a better grip on the experience that this bag of clowns?
                            This is the same group from last yr- books a bunch of things, shows up for some but just no shows (and loses the money) for other things. They don't really plan ahead because if you wave enough money you can do just about anything.

We need to figure out if we can even afford to go.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                              This is the same group from last yr- books a bunch of things, shows up for some but just no shows (and loses the money) for other things. They don't really plan ahead because if you wave enough money you can do just about anything.

We need to figure out if we can even afford to go.
                              So why are you still going?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                So why are you still going?
                                Last time I acquiesced and we tried to coordinate with them- which was like trying to nail jello to the wall. This time, if we go we will know what we want to do and meet up with them for dinner or if it fits what we are doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X