Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Beanpot LXVIII: Threepeat?

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Ok Sean let's try this. Why do you think there was a difference between first and 2nd Mondays?
    Well, I agree with kdiff77 that for the casual fan the championship game is more important than the semifinals. Furthermore, you only need to be there for one game, not two, and it usually starts between 7:30 and 8:00. Compare that to the semifinals where the first game starts at 5:00 and the second game usually starts after 8:30. Ticket prices have also played a part: the first time the semifinals were below capacity was when the price hit $40 and the semifinals have only reached capacity once since then. The championship game fell below capacity a few years later when ticket prices hit $42, so I think that the Garden has reached the upper price limit that many fans are willing to pay. However, the Garden did lower parking prices: $20 for the semifinals and $35 for the championship game.

As for why the final reached the new capacity this year, I think both NU fans believing they would see a historic three-peat and BU fans hoping for the team's first win since 2015 increased interest. For the first time in many years the BU section I was in (Loge 2) was mostly filled with BU fans and not casual fans or fans of the other schools.

Sean
    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 02-11-2020, 10:18 AM.
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      Well, I agree with kdiff77 that for the casual fan the championship game is more important than the semifinals. Furthermore, you only need to be there for one game, not two, and it usually starts between 7:30 and 8:00. Compare that to the semifinals where the first game starts at 5:00 and the second game usually starts after 8:30. Ticket prices have also played a part: the first time the semifinals were below capacity was when the price hit $40 and the semifinals have only reached capacity once since then. The championship game fell below capacity a few years later when ticket prices hit $42, so I think that the Garden has reached the upper price limit that many fans are willing to pay. However, the Garden did lower parking prices: $20 for the semifinals and $35 for the championship game.

As for why the final reached the new capacity this year, I think both NU fans believing they would see a historic three-peat and BU fans hoping for the team's first win since 2015 increased interest. For the first time in many years the BU section I was in (Loge 2) was mostly filled with BU fans and not casual fans or fans of the other schools.

Sean
      Sean, I appreciate the your effort to answer all of the questions that come your way. One question: are you retired?
      Originally posted by mookie1995
      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
        J.D., chickod, I guess you didn't read my previous post regarding Beanpot attendance in relation to the Superbowl. I have also updated it with most of the ticket prices since 1988 (which I also posted in this thread):

Sean
        So, in other words, they need to drop ticket prices by fifteen dollars or else comp everyone two beers. 🤣

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
          So, in other words, they need to drop ticket prices by fifteen dollars or else comp everyone two beers. 🤣
          ha! this guy gets it.

edit: $15 might be 1 beer at Gahden prices but point taken.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          Always bullish on the future.
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
            Sean, I appreciate the your effort to answer all of the questions that come your way. One question: are you retired?
            Thanks, I try to offer information, especially if I already have available, or if I can look it up (either online or in my archives). And no, I'm not retired - that's years away.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
            NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Thanks, I try to offer information, especially if I already have available, or if I can look it up (either online or in my archives). And no, I'm not retired - that's years away.

Sean
              That's too bad. I know we're not supposed to give out personal information here but the profromdover's been retired so long his social security # is 000000002 (d@mn Franklin Roosevelt).
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

J.D., chickod, I guess you didn't read my previous post regarding Beanpot attendance in relation to the Superbowl. I have also updated it with most of the ticket prices since 1988 (which I also posted in this thread):
                Sean
                I go by what my eyes tell me. So, although many of those statistics say it was a "sellout," that doesn't mean the stands were full, if you know what I mean...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  I go by what my eyes tell me. So, although many of those statistics say it was a "sellout," that doesn't mean the stands were full, if you know what I mean...
                  It's been a long time since the stands were full at any time during the semifinals or final (last night's sellout had many empty sections) as more and more fans only want to watch their team play. Even I no longer try to make the early semifinal if BU isn't in it and I skipped the consolation game completely last night. I also went to a consolation game several years ago (which BU lost) and then left as I had no interest in the championship game.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                    NU played the whole game? They didnt show up for the 1st and 3rd periods nor overtime. Down 2-0 quick and then outshot 20-0 from 3rd period to OT. Thats not playing entire game. BU was better in 1st and 3rd and OT, NU was better for 2nd.
                    I thought NU outplayed BU from the beginning of the 2nd period until about 10 minutes left in the 3rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                      That's too bad. I know we're not supposed to give out personal information here but the profromdover's been retired so long his social security # is 000000002 (d@mn Franklin Roosevelt).
                      👏👏👏
                      Originally posted by mookie1995
                      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Yeah I know the women have their own forum but the parallels between last night's women's championship and Monday's are just too many to ignore:

--BU goes up early
                        --NU comes back
                        --NU takes a one goal lead
                        --BU ties it in the waning seconds of the game
                        --No scoring in the five-minute OT so a tie for NCAA purposes
                        --NU wins in the second OT

Taken as a whole, I don't think anybody could have written a more dramatic script for either of this year's Beanpots. Good for the game.
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                          Yeah I know the women have their own forum but the parallels between last night's women's championship and Monday's are just too many to ignore:

--BU goes up early
                          --NU comes back
                          --NU takes a one goal lead
                          --BU ties it in the waning seconds of the game
                          --No scoring in the five-minute OT so a tie for NCAA purposes
                          --NU wins in the second OT

Taken as a whole, I don't think anybody could have written a more dramatic script for either of this year's Beanpots. Good for the game.
                          Game winning goals were both scored by a player wearing the number 2 and playing Defense

Comment

Wow! Was Harry Potter somewhere in the two record crowds? And #2 playing defense on the women's side is Lauren MacInnes. Dad's name is Al.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Get rid of the Beanpot consolation game and move the Women's championship game to that time slot at the Garden. That game would have been far more compelling than watching BC dismantle Harvard.

Comment

And if that causes a scheduling issue in terms of # of games you play each year, move the men's consolation game to WBA for all I care. Or have a coin toss to see who will host it.

Comment

Working...
                                X