Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beanpot LXVIII: Threepeat?

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Bentley, Lowell, Merrimack and Holy Cross should start a just outside of Boston Beanpot

They had one of those in the early 1980s - The Tea Pot. Lowell, Merrimack, Bowdoin and one other.

And UMass Boston has had the Codfish cup for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
      The only neutral arena big enough is the Tsongas

Is there a way to schedule games at neutral rinks among the 4 schools ?

Like this year BC plays BU, can they play at Mathews or Bright ?

While HU and NU plays at either Conte or HAA ?

The food and parking I would obviously be cheaper
      Let's just move the whole tournament to UMass Boston, a sure-fire neutral site.

"The home of UMass Boston men's and women's ice hockey the Edward T. Barry Ice Rink is perhaps one of the most impressive ice rinks in the New England Hockey Conference. Having received a fresh coat of paint this past summer, the ice rink seats up to 1,000 fans and is also home to both program's coaching staffs."

Sounds perfect. 1000 bench seats and a new coat of paint.

https://www.beaconsathletics.com/ins...etics/ice_rink

Comment

There's no other alternative that makes sense so I'd settle for it at the Garden with lower ticket prices. If you want to park/eat/drink then you pay B's prices but at least there's an option to go to the game affordably.

It's too bad because the Beanpot should be a lot more interesting now that NU and Harvard are good.
        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
          There's no other alternative that makes sense so I'd settle for it at the Garden with lower ticket prices. If you want to park/eat/drink then you pay B's prices but at least there's an option to go to the game affordably.

It's too bad because the Beanpot should be a lot more interesting now that NU and Harvard are good.
          This is what they SHOULD do, but never will. It's really a shame. Frankly, student tickets should be free – the schools are all wealthy enough to cover that. I used to actually buy Harvard student tickets, because they didn't require any form of ID verification, and it still cost around $30 for each round (this was maybe 5 years ago, so it's likely gone up). I would imagine BU/BC/NU price them similarly. Not a lot of college kids want to throw $60-80 down just to get in the door for a hockey game.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            With Harvard and NU really coming on strong in recent years, it's a shame that has coincided with college sports in general taking an attendance nosedive. The Beanpot has finally evolved into anyone's tournament but the overall interest just isn't what it used to be....
            It's not just college sports that are taking an attendance nosedive. Reasons are well-known so no need to rehash here. But millennials (of which I am not one) like "experiences" and the Beanpot still has a feel that's different from a regular season game, even though no league points are on the line. It may not be the automatic sellout it was in the old days but plenty of people will be in the seats, especially for the late game of the first round and, of course, the championship.

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            The Beanpot used to be interesting but as time has gone on the idea of schlepping into Boston traffic on a Monday night to pay 3x the usual cost to park, 2x the ticket cost of a normal college game and 2x the beer and concessions price is somehow losing its appeal...
            Add to that a price tag of $42 for student tickets, which IMO is obscene. Be that as it may, I'm told that the first round of student sales at Northeastern sold out.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

Add to that a price tag of $42 for student tickets, which IMO is obscene. Be that as it may, I'm told that the first round of student sales at Northeastern sold out.
              If that is for both nights it actually isn't too bad. I just considered grabbing a ticket for the opening round Monday night, but quickly changed my mind when i discovered a ticket the lower bowl was $68.95 after all the Ticketmaster fees.

Will be interesting to see what attendance is... Ticketmaster is still showing hundreds of tickets still available and I wonder if what they are showing as available is before any of the schools turn in any of their unused tickets?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                If that is for both nights it actually isn't too bad. I just considered grabbing a ticket for the opening round Monday night, but quickly changed my mind when i discovered a ticket the lower bowl was $68.95 after all the Ticketmaster fees...
                The tweets and promo materials I saw didn't say anything about tickets being good for both nights. I'd certainly hope they are. But Ticketmaster fees have become egregious, and not just for the Beanpot.

Comment

NHL Network in the US and TSN2 in Canada will carry both Mondays which is huge news for any out of state alums.
                  2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                  2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

CHN Story on attendance woes across college hockey: https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...d-Interest.php
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      BU charges students $30 total for tickets to both nights. Weird, that student ticket prices are not standardized among the 4 schools, BU must be subsidizing them to make it more affordable for students. Non-student tickets through BU started at $76 total, I would be surprised if BU was subsidizing that entire $46 difference per student ticket package.

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                        NHL Network in the US and TSN2 in Canada will carry both Mondays which is huge news for any out of state alums.
                        Fabulous news. I don't recall the NHL Network ever carrying it. Also televised on NESN National, which is available on DirecTV and Verizon FiOS. And for anyone who prefers a more personal touch, there are watch parties in various parts of the country. The NU parties are in Atlanta, Naples FL, Manchester NH, Clifton NJ, NYC, Washington DC, and West Palm Beach. (Anyone know BC/BU/H locations?)

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
                          Let's just move the whole tournament to UMass Boston, a sure-fire neutral site.

"The home of UMass Boston men's and women's ice hockey the Edward T. Barry Ice Rink is perhaps one of the most impressive ice rinks in the New England Hockey Conference. Having received a fresh coat of paint this past summer, the ice rink seats up to 1,000 fans and is also home to both program's coaching staffs."

Sounds perfect. 1000 bench seats and a new coat of paint.

https://www.beaconsathletics.com/ins...etics/ice_rink
                          I used to play there all the time on my beer league team ) at least they fixed the leaky roof

Heck I wouldn't mind if they moved it to the HAA if they cut the prices in half and just $10 parking
                          NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                            BU charges students $30 total for tickets to both nights. Weird, that student ticket prices are not standardized among the 4 schools, BU must be subsidizing them to make it more affordable for students. Non-student tickets through BU started at $76 total, I would be surprised if BU was subsidizing that entire $46 difference per student ticket package.
                            NU tickets were $30, after they sold out they are $42. BU doesn't have enough fans to sell out

Comment

Originally posted by onepack View Post
                              ...bu doesn't have enough fans to sell out
                              boom!

Comment

Originally posted by OnePack View Post
                                NU tickets were $30, after they sold out they are $42. BU doesn't have enough fans to sell out
                                well let's hope burger king lets you leave early to get to the garden in time
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X