Beanpot LXVIII: Threepeat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Bentley, Lowell, Merrimack and Holy Cross should start a just outside of Boston Beanpot
    I’ll take a free trophy every year.
    Lowell Forever
    Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
      I’ll take a free trophy every year.
      Who do you think you are, BU?
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Re: Beanpot LXVIII: Threepeat?

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Bentley, Lowell, Merrimack and Holy Cross should start a just outside of Boston Beanpot
        Why stop there? Invite Suffolk, Tufts, UMass-Boston, and MIT and you can have the "Not So" Super 8 Tournament.
        Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
        —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Conte Forum (BC) is actually in Newton. Agganis Arena (BU), Bright Hockey Center (H), and Matthews Arena (NU) are all indisputably in Boston.
          Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
          You’re wrong. Feel corrected.
          Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          conte is in boston, yes.
          I stand (in the corner) corrected, and showing shame--even though it was a Bald Eagle who told me Conte is in Newton.
          Last edited by Split-N; 01-21-2020, 10:09 AM.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

With Harvard and NU really coming on strong in recent years, it's a shame that has coincided with college sports in general taking an attendance nosedive. The Beanpot has finally evolved into anyone's tournament but the overall interest just isn't what it used to be. And while it might be at an all time high for NU fan interest after ending the drought and winning back-to-back--even their interest will fade if the current trend in college sports continues. Taking NU fans out of it, the best thing the Beanpot had going for itself recently was the NU angle of trying to end the streak.

Comment

I used to dislike the Beanpot but there's usually one or two fabulous college hockey games in that tournament every year. Do we know if the games are part of of the CBS All Access package we bought into for Hockey East games?

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

The Beanpot used to be interesting but as time has gone on the idea of schlepping into Boston traffic on a Monday night to pay 3x the usual cost to park, 2x the ticket cost of a normal college game and 2x the beer and concessions price is somehow losing its appeal.

Remember when the Beanpot was a tough ticket to get?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  The Beanpot used to be interesting but as time has gone on the idea of schlepping into Boston traffic on a Monday night to pay 3x the usual cost to park, 2x the ticket cost of a normal college game and 2x the beer and concessions price is somehow losing its appeal.

Yup I do . I remember being reduced to rooting for H in the late 60’s and early 70’s and beyond . Still fun and wish I could be there this year . If we keep chitting on it (FiveHole12 reference) less will continue to come . It’s sad that a quintessentially Boston event is struggling right now .

Comment

My freshman year Beanpot was 1967. Between then and 1985, BC won twice and Northeastern won 3 times. That’s why it wasn’t must see hockey for me. I haven’t been to one since 1980.
                    Originally posted by mookie1995
                    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Which is why they should consider moving it to a different venue.

Does Jacobs care ? No

Parking for $50 or more and tickets for $90 when forced to buy both rounds
                      NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                        Which is why they should consider moving it to a different venue.

Does Jacobs care ? No

Parking for $50 or more and tickets for $90 when forced to buy both rounds
                        I agree that the Bruins have lessened the appeal of the Beanpot by making it unaffordable, but what other venue would you suggest? Campus sites wouldn't draw the same way it does at the Garden. It's kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, because the organizers are completely at the whims of the Garden with no other suitable option.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                          I agree that the Bruins have lessened the appeal of the Beanpot by making it unaffordable, but what other venue would you suggest? Campus sites wouldn't draw the same way it does at the Garden. It's kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, because the organizers are completely at the whims of the Garden with no other suitable option.
                          The only neutral arena big enough is the Tsongas

Is there a way to schedule games at neutral rinks among the 4 schools ?

Like this year BC plays BU, can they play at Mathews or Bright ?

While HU and NU plays at either Conte or HAA ?

The food and parking I would obviously be cheaper
                          NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Comment

The only neutral arena big enough is the Tsongas

Is there a way to schedule games at neutral rinks among the 4 schools ?

Like this year BC plays BU, can they play at Mathews or Bright ?

While HU and NU plays at either Conte or HAA ?

The food and parking I would obviously be cheaper
                            Can mookie puff some of what yer smoking??
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Can mookie puff some of what yer smoking??
                              Sure Mook have at it ))

You have a better solution ?

So basically Jacobs has the Beanpot fans by the *alls and the option is stay home and watch it on NESN

And we all know the consolation games are usually sparsely attended

BTW BU tickets seem awfully high online and they tack on the hefty fee ((
                              They seem to be double in price or more than face value.

Comment

BTW BU tickets seem awfully high online and they tack on the hefty fee ((
                                They seem to be double in price or more than face value.
                                And note how BU Is doing in attendance the past couple of years.... (sure it would help if we weren’t a 500 team but the pricing you mentioned surely isn’t helping)

Comment

Working...
                                X