Beanpot LXVIII: Threepeat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beanpot LXVIII: Threepeat?

BU-BC preview from today's Daily Free Press https://dailyfreepress.com/2020/01/3...beanpot-semis/

Comment

I am considering heading in for the opening round for the first time in many moons. I've attended the Championship for several years in a row, but with all the gripes about attendance, I thought maybe I should do my part . Plus, if BU manages to knock off BC it will of course be well worth it. It also helps that my championship attendance has been covered by someone else, so it makes laying out the money for the first night more palatable.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Nice article running on boston.com on NHL progeny playing in the Beanpot:
        https://www.boston.com/sports/nhl/20...?event=event51
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by OnePack View Post
          NU tickets were $30, after they sold out they are $42. BU doesn't have enough fans to sell out
          NU fans only turn out for the Beanpot. Even during the losing multiple decades.

Comment

So it looks like three Beanpot teams will enter the tournament in the PWR Top 20: BC - 5; NU - 11; H - 18. BU not far behind at 26 and on something of a roll. Gone are the days of "haves" and "have nots," at least for this year.

Comment

But will anyone truly notice? Of all the factors we have talked about, first night of Beanpot always being the day after SB is a killer IMO. A lot of people are out/up late that Sunday and then you're asking them to double down for a 2nd straight night. With the Patriots routinely in the SB over the last 20 years all the buzz has been about that. NFL is king.

They shouldn't be married to the first Monday in Feb format. Sure some dinosaur purists might not like it but explore all options to reenergize this thing. Lower prices and explore a potential weekend format. If you were able to have this thing on a Saturday/Sunday format where you had games starting in afternoon now you have the chance of attracting kids who can't go on a school night having stayed up for SB day before.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                But will anyone truly notice? Of all the factors we have talked about, first night of Beanpot always being the day after SB is a killer IMO. A lot of people are out/up late that Sunday and then you're asking them to double down for a 2nd straight night. With the Patriots routinely in the SB over the last 20 years all the buzz has been about that. NFL is king.

They shouldn't be married to the first Monday in Feb format. Sure some dinosaur purists might not like it but explore all options to reenergize this thing. Lower prices and explore a potential weekend format. If you were able to have this thing on a Saturday/Sunday format where you had games starting in afternoon now you have the chance of attracting kids who can't go on a school night having stayed up for SB day before.
                It will never happen but I agree. The Monday night thing has zero appeal.

Comment

Not sure if it’s going to be that different this year but with no Patriots in the Super Bowl, there may not be as much of a Super Bowl hangover.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Not sure if it’s going to be that different this year but with no Patriots in the Super Bowl, there may not be as much of a Super Bowl hangover.
                    Agreed. Plus coverage in the media will be less (though still a ton), so that helps the 'Pot.

Comment

With all the high end freshmen in the BU-BC match-up, I think the coach that can do the best job of getting them to focus on winning as a team, versus highlighting their skills, is the coach that will have the late game next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Oh! Is there a Super Bowl this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                          Oh! Is there a Super Bowl this year?
                          c'mon, (partisanship aside) - there's two terrific QBs... worth the price of admission me thinks.
                          GO NU HOCKEY
                          Always bullish on the future.
                          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            With all the high end freshmen in the BU-BC match-up, I think the coach that can do the best job of getting them to focus on winning as a team, versus highlighting their skills, is the coach that will have the late game next week.
                            I think BC’s senior line is the difference if they play well

The experience and production makes a big difference along with the depth provided by freshmen and sophomores l
                            NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                              I think BC’s senior line is the difference if they play well

The experience and production makes a big difference along with the depth provided by freshmen and sophomores l
                              Probably true. Who do you think BU will play in the early game the following week?

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                                c'mon, (partisanship aside) - there's two terrific QBs... worth the price of admission me thinks.
                                only reason to watch is to see jimmy g win and the patsies fans go apocalyptic crying that bill was right and krafty bob screwed the future
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X