Beanpot LXVIII: Threepeat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Beanpot LXVIII: Threepeat?

Nick, the only penalties that "count" in the fake OT session are misconducts/DQs.

Definitely a little wonky but I will take it over having the Pot be decided with a ridiculous shootout.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      I guess MCs and DQs might count, but not goals or assists or minor penalties? We're really straying into some stupid territory with this IMO.
      I guess the only other thing they could do is just not allow in-season tournament games to count in the PWR (make it an exhibition game essentially). I'm not advocating that, BTW, but what else can they do? I'm not sure why the OT after the initial five minutes matters in the sense of "they want to keep it fair for everyone" sense. What's the difference? One team wins, one team loses. Why does the methodology matter? It's not "unequal" because the teams are playing each other in that ONE scenario...they're not playing the other teams in Division 1. Nobody's getting an "advantage" over everyone else.

But my question is, if you're not going to allow the game to count, does that mean the four teams can add two more games to their schedules?

EDIT: And I agree with JD. PLEASE....NO shootout!!!!!!

Comment

I do hate that the game is recorded in box scores as 4-4 and that announcers are calling the 20 minute OT the 2nd overtime.

Why even bother with separate OTs? Have a regular intermission after the 3rd, put 20 minutes on the clock and if the OT goes past 5 minutes it goes in the books as a tie but you obviously keep playing.

Comment

It seems like coaches are ok with this in that you play your guts out for 60+ minutes and in the end you get dinged in the PWR with a loss. At least now you get a tie.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Right but I am just curious why the difference between the Mondays. With 4 teams involved you'd think more people the first Monday. That's why I am curious about the SB factor. I could be way off, but it's not like weather was a factor.
            I think it's less the SB factor and more that most people can't commit to going to two 7-hour events on back-to-back Monday nights, and would rather see a championship game than a semifinal. I personally enjoy the first day of the Beanpot more, since you get to see all four teams play meaningful games, but I can see why a more casual fan might not care as much. Another thing that likely hurt attendance this year in particular: NU played the early game. Last night, their student section spread from 308 all the way down into where the BC students usually sit, finally trailing off in section 321. That's 12.5 sections (an entire sideline!) made up entirely of NU students. If they'd had the night game last Monday, they probably wouldn't have gotten as many kids to turn out, but it would've been better than the still-impressive turnout they had at 5 pm.

The Beanpot almost needs NU to make it to the final now against one of BC or BU to guarantee a good crowd (though of course BU-BC in the final should still draw well). The BU-Harvard final in 2017 was very, very light compared to the past three seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
              What was the call in overtime officially? Holding or tripping? It's not on the box score (although a 10-MC for Trevor Zegras berating the officials is on the box score which is odd) since anything after the 5:00 mark didn't officially happen. This "didn't exist" after the 5 minutes of OT stuff is interesting. I guess MCs and DQs might count, but not goals or assists or minor penalties? We're really straying into some stupid territory with this IMO.
              I believe it was announced as tripping.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                I believe it was announced as tripping.
                I would have been more "OK" with holding as it seems like the hand came off the stick to grab the NU player but we all know he was basically in the process of falling long before Harper got near him. That would have been a bit more understandable as you see a hand come off the stick to grab and instinctively make the holding call.

That being said, to see the sour apples last night and this morning ... really really tremendous and entertaining. Albie talked about "diving" in the postgame presser too apparently. They really are leaving no stone unturned here.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

That conversation was centered around attendance. So why would the first Monday only draw 13k? Is that the SB hangover effect?
                  Right but I am just curious why the difference between the Mondays. With 4 teams involved you'd think more people the first Monday. That's why I am curious about the SB factor. I could be way off, but it's not like weather was a factor.
                  Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  I personally believe that has a lot to do with it. The Patriots have been in the Super Bowl so often in the last 20 years (which coincides with the period of "decline" regarding the Beanpot attendance that we have been talking about), it can't be a coincidence. The Beanpot has had to take a back seat in the media as a result. And this year there was still local interest with the whole Jimmy G thing.
                  I haven't been to the Beanpot since I believe 2009. Do ticket prices stay the same? Go up?
                  J.D., chickod, I guess you didn't read my previous post regarding Beanpot attendance in relation to the Superbowl. I have also updated it with most of the ticket prices since 1988 (which I also posted in this thread):

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                  Last year I researched Beanpot attendance and also looked at when it was played immediately after the Superbowl and there doesn't appear to be any correlation between the two. Here are the number for each night of the Beanpot and notes for when it was played after the Superbowl, as well as a graph of attendance.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Ok Sean let's try this. Why do you think there was a difference between first and 2nd Mondays?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                      That being said, to see the sour apples last night and this morning ... really really tremendous and entertaining. Albie talked about "diving" in the postgame presser too apparently. They really are leaving no stone unturned here.
                      Accusing the other team of diving. Hmm wonder where he learned that...

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        So largest attendance in Beanpot history and possibly record TV viewership (NESN/NHL/TSN2). Yeah. The Beanpot is dead.
                        My attendance numbers come directly from the official score sheets created at the time and the 1996 championship game is recorded as having 18,025. Sometime since then that number, along with several others, were changed to the official capacity.

Sean
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Congrats to NU. Played for the whole game while BU decided to take the 2nd period off for some reason. A few thoughts:

1) Anybody with eligibility left who can skate faster than a toddler please come down to Agganis and inquire about playing defense for the team. It would also help if your weight is greater than 160 pounds.

2) Throwing in the towel on Albie. Clueless fatass. NU ran the same play for their 2nd period goals - cycle down low and then someone curls into the middle of the ice between the faceoffs dots and shoots high. A competent coach after the 2nd goal recognizes this. An incompetent one lets 4 goals go by.

3) Last call was terrible but BU took way too many legit penalties that game. A sign of an undisciplined team, which is once again a reflection of the coach.

4) Good to see all of the excitement over the game regardless of the outcome. Felt like old times (except the part about NU winning 3 times in a row! ).
                          Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                            EDIT: And I agree with JD. PLEASE....NO shootout!!!!!!
                            I can tell the pro-shootout crowd what to do with their precious shootouts but this is a family-friendly board.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                              The refs let BU get away with a blatant trip in OT where a guy was completely beat and then of course there was the matching minors despite BU delivering a cross check to the face in the what was it, 2nd or 3rd?

Tough luck.
                              The reason for the cross check to face was because NU slashed the goalie...I am a fan of letting them play. Call the absolute blatant stuff and let the boys determine the winner. The trip was 200 feet away from the teams net - you dont call that in OT nor do you call the trip that ended up deciding the game. That call tainted a fantastic game IMO. BU came out flying, NU then returned fire, BU then came back and was outplaying NU pretty badly in the 3rd and OT. Almost a 20-0 shot advantage late in the game. Stinks that a call like that taints such a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                Congrats to NU. Played for the whole game while BU decided to take the 2nd period off for some reason. A few thoughts:

1) Anybody with eligibility left who can skate faster than a toddler please come down to Agganis and inquire about playing defense for the team. It would also help if your weight is greater than 160 pounds.

2) Throwing in the towel on Albie. Clueless fatass. NU ran the same play for their 2nd period goals - cycle down low and then someone curls into the middle of the ice between the faceoffs dots and shoots high. A competent coach after the 2nd goal recognizes this. An incompetent one lets 4 goals go by.

3) Last call was terrible but BU took way too many legit penalties that game. A sign of an undisciplined team, which is once again a reflection of the coach.

4) Good to see all of the excitement over the game regardless of the outcome. Felt like old times (except the part about NU winning 3 times in a row! ).
                                NU played the whole game? They didnt show up for the 1st and 3rd periods nor overtime. Down 2-0 quick and then outshot 20-0 from 3rd period to OT. Thats not playing entire game. BU was better in 1st and 3rd and OT, NU was better for 2nd.

Comment

Working...
                                X