RPI @ Yale 1/18/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI @ Yale 1/18/20

Different challenge for tonight. Yale skated rings around us in Troy for most of the night. They looked very good last night against Union. Certainly would be nice to have a great game to make this weekend like the North Country trip. Have not swept two ECAC road weekends in a row in some time. Our time to shine!!!! Go Red!!!!!!!!
    Only bad thing about winning this game is that i will keep having to get up early to start threads. (but who cares, the cat will get me up in time)
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Re: RPI @ Yale 1/18/20

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    Different challenge for tonight. Yale skated rings around us in Troy for most of the night. They looked very good last night against Union. Certainly would be nice to have a great game to make this weekend like the North Country trip. Have not swept two ECAC road weekends in a row in some time. Our time to shine!!!! Go Red!!!!!!!!
    Only bad thing about winning this game is that i will keep having to get up early to start threads. (but who cares, the cat will get me up in time)
    Yale overcame the thrashing they received at the hands of Harvard with a clear win over Union. They took us in Troy, now let's take two points from deep inside the belly of the Whale.

Comment

Have not swept two ECAC road weekends in a row in some time.
      That is a major understatement. I did some research and found the last time we did that (4 wins) was 1985-86. We did a couple of 3 game road sweeps, the last time was in 1999 against Harvard, Brown and Union.
      And FWIW, our last sweep of Yale and Brown on the road was in January of 2012. Time to end these streaks tonight. LGR!!

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
        That is a major understatement. I did some research and found the last time we did that (4 wins) was 1985-86. We did a couple of 3 game road sweeps, the last time was in 1999 against Harvard, Brown and Union.
        And FWIW, our last sweep of Yale and Brown on the road was in January of 2012. Time to end these streaks tonight. LGR!!
        I had thought we did it in 2003-2004 but cannot find anything. I remember being at the Princeton game that year down here and thinking that we had won 4 straight ECAC road games Yale/ Princeton and Harvard/Brown. In those days that was the pairings. They were consecutive road wins but in between we lost 2 home games think to Cornell and Colgate (each by close scores which i felt we could have won). I know it has not been common and of course done a couple times by the 84-85 and 83-84 juggernaut but two raod sweeps in the ECAC in a row is not something we have seen in some time.

Comment

Yale is the slightest of favorites tonight:
          RPI -115
          Yale -125

Not sure if DrDemento's odds from his source have changed where at the beginning of the week RPI was slight 47% to 45% favorites

Comment

2019-20 Thread-Starting Statistics:

Code:
            DrDemento          3- 4- 1  7 points  .438
            engineerhockeyfan  3- 3- 0  6 points  .500
            Ralph Baer         3- 3- 0  6 points  .500
            Waite21            2- 1- 0  4 points  .667

Cumulative 2003-04 - 2019-20 Thread-Starting Statistics

Code:
            Ralph Baer        68-71-18 154 points  .490
            fr joe            49-69-14 112 points  .424
            engineerhockeyfan 34-56- 9  77 points  .389
            DrDemento         13-25- 7  33 points  .367
            Red Cloud         11- 3- 1  23 points  .767
            hockeyhound       11-14- 1  23 points  .432
            GRussinko         10-15- 2  22 points  .407
            burgie12           6- 2- 1  13 points  .722
            rpihockeyfan13     6- 6- 1  13 points  .500
            Waite21            4- 9- 2  10 points  .333
            RPIBMW             4- 5- 1   9 points  .450
            FlagDUDE08         4- 0- 0   8 points 1.000
            jericho            4-16- 0   8 points  .200
            HighlanderRPI      3- 4- 1   7 points  .438
            JCrawford          2- 1- 0   4 points  .667
            REDRocket          2- 3- 0   4 points  .400
            RPIHFH             1- 1- 1   3 points  .500
            JennyRN            1- 1- 1   3 points  .500
            fishcore12         0- 1- 3   3 points  .375
            berbs91            1- 0- 0   2 points 1.000
            ambersuds          1- 0- 0   2 points 1.000
            drshoen            1- 0- 0   2 points 1.000
            Jeffrey On         1- 1- 0   2 points  .500
            lugnut92           1- 2- 0   2 points  .333
            NYhockeyguy        1- 2- 0   2 points  .333
            RPI92              1- 4- 0   2 points  .200
            RKarger            0- 0- 1   1 point   .500
            redrocker          0- 1- 1   1 point   .250
            Rockchops          0- 1- 1   1 point   .250
            vicb               0- 3- 1   1 point   .125
            RPI_2003           0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
            RenPI              0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
            johnk              0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
            Cookin4Fun         0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
            RPI-Fan-Go-Red     0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
            ZYanksRule         0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
            redhead18          0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
            Priceless          0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
            REDaero91          0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
            ServinisScores     0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
            rsfs04             0- 1- 0   0 points  .000
            jmhusker           0- 2- 0   0 points  .000
            hawthr             0- 2- 0   0 points  .000
            Gophers #1         0- 3- 0   0 points  .000
            RPI fan 4 life     0- 5- 0   0 points  .000

For your listening pleasure:

Fight Song
            https://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music/LongHail.mp3

Alma Mater
            https://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music3...ma%20Mater.mp3
            Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-18-2020, 03:57 PM.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
              Yale is the slightest of favorites tonight:
              RPI -115
              Yale -125

Not sure if DrDemento's odds from his source have changed where at the beginning of the week RPI was slight 47% to 45% favorites
              Street odds agree pretty much with you now Yale is a 45% to 43% favorite with the predicted score being 3-3 (I guess clobbering Union meant something). I always feel it is about match ups and we had real problems with each line and each defensive pairing against this Yale team in Troy. Good time to see if our coach can make the needed adjustments.

Comment

Just watched the women's game on RPITV and now I am thoroughly depressed. This was their most winnable game of the year, a home game against Brown. They were shut out (again ), 2-0. Outshot Brown 35-25 but they looked tight. This season must be wearing on them, emotionally. This has to be the bottom, nowhere to go but up from here.

Hopefully the men's game will lift my spirits .

Comment

We will have to find a way to control the tempo of this game. Yale seemed bigger and faster in Troy.
                  Somehow, Smith needs to counter that. Also, it would really help if we scored the first goal.
                  This team is coming together and is eliminating many of the give aways in our defensive zone.
                  It will not be easy, but we can win this game.

Lets Go Red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                  Benjamin Franklin
                  The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                  Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                    We will have to find a way to control the tempo of this game. Yale seemed bigger and faster in Troy.
                    Somehow, Smith needs to counter that. Also, it would really help if we scored the first goal.
                    This team is coming together and is eliminating many of the give aways in our defensive zone.
                    It will not be easy, but we can win this game.

Lets Go Red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Wondering who will be in goal? Coach obviously could go with a hot Savory but might have his own hunch on this one. Totally different style of game coming up and some changes might be necessary. Hope we are totally healthy so he has everyone traveling at his disposal. This is indeed a rather big game for the ECAC standings if nothing else. national ranking should not change much either way as happened with last night's win at Brown.

Comment

music!
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                        Just watched the women's game on RPITV and now I am thoroughly depressed. This was their most winnable game of the year, a home game against Brown. They were shut out (again ), 2-0. Outshot Brown 35-25 but they looked tight. This season must be wearing on them, emotionally. This has to be the bottom, nowhere to go but up from here.

Hopefully the men's game will lift my spirits .
                        The interesting thing is that the women are not as badly outmatched as the 65-66 men's team was. That team had the benefit of playing quite a few games vs non-D-I opponents and winning a couple of them. Against legitimate D-I opponents they were totally outclassed, e.g. 16-1 vs. Clarkson and 14-0 vs. Northeastern. DrD probably remembers how many saves Dick Greenlaw made in a 9-0 loss to BU. IIRC, he received one of the 3 Stars.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          music!
                          After taking two hours to bring my wife and daughter the 50 miles from Hartford (and seeing many vehicles whose drivers forgot their remedial winter driving course plowed into guard rails, ditches, etc.) it looks like the 25 mile drive to New Haven is off for tonight. I think this is just the 2nd Engineers game in CT that I've missed in the 25 years since we moved here. On to ESPN+ and WRPI.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            The interesting thing is that the women are not as badly outmatched as the 65-66 men's team was. That team had the benefit of playing quite a few games vs non-D-I opponents and winning a couple of them. Against legitimate D-I opponents they were totally outclassed, e.g. 16-1 vs. Clarkson and 14-0 vs. Northeastern. DrD probably remembers how many saves Dick Greenlaw made in a 9-0 loss to BU. IIRC, he received one of the 3 Stars.
                            Credited with 78 but I was there in Boston and they must have missed another 25 or more. There were times the puck was in our end for 3-5 minutes at a time. BTW I think BU hit the post or the crossbar another 3 or 4 times

Comment

Wondering who will be in goal? Coach obviously could go with a hot Savory but might have his own hunch on this one. Totally different style of game coming up and some changes might be necessary. Hope we are totally healthy so he has everyone traveling at his disposal. This is indeed a rather big game for the ECAC standings if nothing else. national ranking should not change much either way as happened with last night's win at Brown.
                              Personally, I think that Savory should start all the ECAC games as long as he continues on this hot streak.
                              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                              Benjamin Franklin
                              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                              Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                              X