UCONN HOCKEY 2020.. yikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UCONN HOCKEY 2020.. yikes

The league desperately needs UConn at the Garden? I think the league would be perfectly fine with BC, BU, Maine and UNH if that were to ever happen again.

And Cav won titles *with* BC. Small correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbowing View Post
      This is such an absurd and condescending BC comment.

Because the last thing the league wants is a packed TD Garden with new excited fans of the sport, right? Traveling to MA and funneling their enthusiasm into spending on tickets, eating in the restaurants, buying concessions, buying apparel, paying for parking, etc. What you, in your infinite wisdom, find "cute", is what the league desperately needs. Should we all be ashamed that the people of CT support their state institution's athletic programs? That the two fans on this board get excited about a winning streak? Fact is, 20+ years ago while Cav was winning national championships for BC, we were watching DIII UConn in a freezing cold outdoor rink on farmlands. Long time supporters of this program have every reason to be fired up.
      Good for you guys; you obviously have a great affinity for this team and they are not disappointing! I hope it takes you far this season; you deserve it. As for the rest of us, who had / have become 'collateral damage' along the way this season, we can only watch and see what happens. You guys made it happen. Good luck the rest of the way...
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        The league desperately needs UConn at the Garden? I think the league would be perfectly fine with BC, BU, Maine and UNH if that were to ever happen again.

Funny they can’t win one without him, oh wait they did, in 1949.

Twisting words, my point was generating revenue from the non hockey fans you deemed cute. But it appears you can’t get past your UConn complex.

Comment

That's hard to argue with...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elbowing View Post
            Funny they can’t win one without him, oh wait they did, in 1949.

Twisting words, my point was generating revenue from the non hockey fans you deemed cute. But it appears you can’t get past your UConn complex.
            My complex is more with you, someone who has no grasp on the history of college hockey and what Jerry York accomplished without Cav.

Comment

In the last 10 games, UConn has surpassed the 40 shot total 4 times. That may or may not mean anything, but 40 shots is a lot of shots. That means they are winning zone time, they are possessing the puck, and most importantly, getting it to the net. I guess the point is, these aren’t goalie stand on your head wins like the first few years in HockeyEast, they are actually outplaying good teams.

That said, this weekend will tell a lot about how good they really are. Like I said before the trip to Maine, I’ll be happy with a split. Two points should at least get them into the playoffs.

Comment

My complex is more with you, someone who has no grasp on the history of college hockey and what Jerry York accomplished without Cav.
                What? A 1977 Dave Taylor fueled regular season ECAC 1st place trophy and a disappointing 4th place ECAC playoff trophy at Clarkson? And 1 CCHA title and 1 NCAA title in 15 years at BGSU? And he took over from Len Ceglarski and Ron Mason. No offense, but slight upgrade from Bruce Marshall.

That’s good, but is it BC new millennium, decade of excellence, good?

Comment

Hey at least you understand that he won a national title at Bowling Green without Cav. The only national title in BG history. But he only won national titles at BC because of Cav...if you believe that I would like to know how you are related to Cav. For some reason saying Cav was a big part of BCs success isn't good enough for you. Not sure why that would be.

A slight upgrade from Bruce Marshall? Alright, you're on something. I think I'm done with this conversation.

Comment

Hey at least you understand that he won a national title at Bowling Green without Cav. The only national title in BG history. But he only won national titles at BC because of Cav...if you believe that I would like to know how you are related to Cav. For some reason saying Cav was a big part of BCs success isn't good enough for you. Not sure why that would be.

A slight upgrade from Bruce Marshall? Alright, you're on something. I think I'm done with this conversation.
                    Skilled.

Comment

Big and skilled. Let them have their time.

Comment

Jim Connelly and I had a good conversation with Mike Cavanaugh for this week's USCHO Spotlight podcast: https://www.uscho.com/2020/02/26/uco...-2-episode-21/

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                          Jim Connelly and I had a good conversation with Mike Cavanaugh for this week's USCHO Spotlight podcast: https://www.uscho.com/2020/02/26/uco...-2-episode-21/
                          Good interview and good coach. I agree with his position of having 5 on 5 and then going to 3 on 3. Although, he seems to think fans don't mind a tie. I hate ties. I think players would love having 3 on 3. It opens up space on the ice and gives players a chance to skate and shoot the puck. I also agree the season starts way too early.

Comment

A lot of good stuff from Cav there. Agree that I have never heard anyone complain about ties and he even had the stats ready to go that only 10-12% of games end in a tie. I also never really thought of 3v3 OT counting in PWR but not the same as a regulation win/loss. That is an interesting take.

Comment

Solid 1st period of hockey. Both teams showing signs of life, but not cashing in. The biggest thing I like from UConn is winning pucks with back pressure, IMO if you’re stealing pucks with back pressure, you’re skating well and working hard. Saw a couple examples of it from multiple guys.

As entertaining of a 0-0 game as you can get, so far. Odds are it’ll break open shortly.

Love the energy in the building, it’s certainly a play-off atmosphere.

Comment

UConn deserved that result! UMass scored a seeing eye 1st goal (should’ve been stopped), and the second goal was due to a borderline penalty. Replay proved the kid sold the call. All in all, they just outplayed, outworked and controlled the whatever ranked team in the country. The weak link for this club will be the goalie, not sure he’s capable of stealing playoff games But we shall soon see.

Comment

Working...
                                X