Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UCONN HOCKEY 2020.. yikes

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply Sean, you obviously put much work into your stats, quite impressive. My heart hopes they turn it around as Perierra is from my hometown, and more good D-1 teams in CT the better IMO. I fear the CT Ice Tourney is not going to be a big of a draw as some think, I hope I am wrong.
    I researched the records of the Hockey East coaches several years ago when there was discussion how Coaches Bazin and Leaman were great head coaches, but Coach Quinn not so much. That discussion is moot now, but I have continued to update the coaching records. I didn't expect to use them in a discussion of not so great coaches, but as I had the information it was easy to look at their records as well. In general the successful head coaches in the league have had a 0.500 or better career coaching record after four seasons, with Coach Madigan being the exception, as he took 6 seasons. So, if a coach's record remains below 0.500 after that it is unlikely that they will become successful. A few did reach 0.500 or above after six seasons, but were unable to improve and dropped back below 0.500 in the following seasons.

Sean
    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 01-11-2020, 12:49 PM.
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

[QUOTE=Sean Pickett;6886840]I researched the records of the Hockey East coaches several years ago when there was discussion how Coaches Bazin and Leaman were great head coaches, but Coach Quinn not so much. That discussion is moot now, but I have continued to update the coaching records. I didn't expect to use them in a discussion of not so great coaches, but as I had the information it was easy to look at their records as well. In general the successful head coaches in the league have had a 0.500 or better career coaching record after four seasons, with Coach Madigan being the exception, as he took 6 seasons. So, if a coach's record remains below 0.500 after that it is unlikely that they will become successful. A few did reach 0.500 or above after six seasons, but were unable to improve and dropped back below 0.500 in the following seasons.

Sean[/https://www.ctinsider.com/uconn/nhregister/article/Behind-the-Numbers-UConn-s-42-3-million-14984769.php
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
        Unfortunately, Cavanaugh has been coaching 7 years at UConn and 6 of those have been in Hockey East. He has yet to have a .500 overall season record since they’ve joined HE. You can’t use the UConn is new to HE excuse anymore.
        Don’t mean to disrupt your narrative, but....the first 3 were without a full slate of scholarships! I think he’s only been 3 years in HE with 18 full scholarships.

Comment

UConn beats NU at NU! Their coach had nothing to do with it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Elbowing View Post
            Don’t mean to disrupt your narrative, but....the first 3 were without a full slate of scholarships! I think he’s only been 3 years in HE with 18 full scholarships.
            Penn State and Arizona State began playing D1 hockey in 2013 and 2015. Both have already played in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
              Penn State and Arizona State began playing D1 hockey in 2013 and 2015. Both have already played in the NCAA tournament.
              Both started programs from club hockey. Completely different. When you move up divisions or conferences, they phase in scholarships. When you start a program from club hockey you get full scholarships. What else you got? Keep digging bro. Maybe Cav is actually a good coach? He has his name on 4 NCAA Championships and BC hasn’t won one since he left.

Comment

8th place! So impressive. Maybe Diaco can make a trophy for Cavanaugh for this stunning accomplishment.
                Originally posted by reBlur
                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Both started programs from club hockey. Completely different. When you move up divisions or conferences, they phase in scholarships. When you start a program from club hockey you get full scholarships. What else you got? Keep digging bro. Maybe Cav is actually a good coach? He has his name on 4 NCAA Championships and BC hasn’t won one since he left.
                  I'm not sure where you got your misinformation, but when a school starts a varsity sports program the school decides how many scholarships to offer (up to the scholarship limit) from day one. In the case of UConn their NCAA financial statements show that Coach Cavanaugh used 5 his first season (last season in the AHA), 12 his second season (first season in HEA) and 18 starting with his third season. So this is the fifth season Coach Cavanaugh has had use of all 18 full scholarships allowed by the NCAA. As for Penn State, they did start their program with 18 full scholarships available, but Arizona State only used 14 scholarships their first season before going to the NCAA limit of 18 their second season. What else you got?

UConn beats NU at NU! Their coach had nothing to do with it though.
                  So what? NU was 13-6-2 before UConn defeated them today. Last season UConn defeated UMass in both teams' last regular season game: UMass was 26-7-0 at the time and went on to the National championship game while UConn finished 12-20-2 and played golf. Until Coach Cavanugh can win regularly against teams with winning records and have a winning record himself there is no reason to think he is a good head coach. This season UConn's opponents had a combined 110-118-41 record at the time UConn played them and currently have a combined 228-228-63 record. The 9 teams UConn defeated had a combined 44-54-20 record at the time UConn played them and currently have a combined 69-104-27 record. UConn has defeated only 3 teams with winning records at the time as well as currently: UML, Maine and NU.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                  NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Thanks for the link, but I'm not able to read the full article. I do have UConn's NCAA financial reports from 2010 through 2018 (the 2019 report should be available in the next 4 to 6 weeks). Here are the athletic budget deficts for those years:
                    2010 - -$14,451,400
                    2011 - -$14,934,366
                    2012 - -$17,541,624
                    2013 - -$18,945,612
                    2014 - -$27,079,853
                    2015 - -$27,977,315
                    2016 - -$35,253,250
                    2017 - -$41,975,209
                    2018 - -$40,638,237

Instead of just adding up student fees, direct and indirect (UConn reported none) institutional support like it appears was done in the article my numbers are based on total expenses minus total earned income.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                    NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Seldom right but never in doubt.
                      Originally posted by mookie1995
                      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Last place in the CT Ice tournament. Worst team in CT and 38th in PWR. Cavanaugh really is the best.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                          Last place in the CT Ice tournament. Worst team in CT and 38th in PWR. Cavanaugh really is the best.
                          Jeez, he’s in your head huh? Just say thanks for the BC NCAA Championships and move on. By the way when was the last time BC won it all? What happened to the dynasty?

Comment

UConn played great last weekend. Didn’t get the desired results, but carried play both games. No puck luck and couldn’t finish. I wouldn’t want to play them down the stretch. In the league they are coming off HE victories over Maine and NU.

This weekend is huge for both teams. UConn needs to solve UNH’s great goaltending and get a few dirty greasy goals. Should be a great weekend of hockey.

Comment

Jeez, he’s in your head huh? Just say thanks for the BC NCAA Championships and move on. By the way when was the last time BC won it all? What happened to the dynasty?
                              Um, dynasties don't last forever. Cav was a big part of it. But given what he's done (or hasn't done) at UConn thus far it would be foolish to suggest BCs dynasty ended because Cav left.

Comment

A big 2 points on the road. IMO UConn actually played better last weekend, but lost two 3-2 games. They play inconsistent tonight and win 7-4. That’s college hockey I guess. Regardless they have won their last 3 HE games for 6 points when league points are at a premium. Keep it going boys!

Hope Carter Turnbell isn’t hurt too bad, he’s been playing really well. Next man up, but that’s a big loss.

Comment

Working...
                                X