UCONN HOCKEY 2020.. yikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UCONN HOCKEY 2020.. yikes

im just done with Uconn hockey. we to make the playoffs 2 years in a row. I'm watching 7 nhl draft picks loaf around and not care one bit.
    AIC, Umass in the NCAA tourney and its sick to watch. they were the 2 worst teams in the country a couple of years ago...
    Sacred heart now first in the atlantic and UCONN is now THE WORST team in Connecticut....
    Now im watching us get embarrassed at home to another team in a rebuild Merrimack. Won't be long before they're passed us.
    Does anyone care?

Re: UCONN HOCKEY 2020.. yikes

What became of HuskyFanDan? His takes in this thread aged well. LOL
    https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...=1#post6031890

Comment

Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
      What became of HuskyFanDan? His takes in this thread aged well. LOL
      https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...=1#post6031890
      That's a nice find right there in the wayback machine. A lot has changed in 5 years, hasn't it?

Has anyone seen Butchy? Poor guy, I kinda worry about him.

And what conclusions can we make about Cavanaugh? How much longer?
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        ...And what conclusions can we make about Cavanaugh? How much longer?
        Short answer: Probably not much longer.

But in Cav's defense, the ~30-mile commute between Storrs and Hartford on game days (and likely for occasional practices) can't be an easy sell for high-end recruits and has to take a toll on the players he does have over the course of the season. Yeah, I know UConn is planning to build a new (smallish by D1 standards) on-campus rink but then they're stuck in Storrs, which rivals Orono for the bright lights.

So, caught between a rock (Storrs) and a hard place (Hartford). Doesn't seem to do much for the UConn football program, either.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
          And what conclusions can we make about Cavanaugh? How much longer?
          Eighteen Hockey East head coaches hired since the start of the league lasted seven seasons, including Coaches Mallen, Cavanaugh and Sneddon, who coached one or two seasons before their teams joined Hockey East (and which I have included in their records). Of those 18 four had worse records than Coach Cavanaugh (0.429) currently has and two were fired, Coaches Serino (0.360) and Mallen (0.360). Of the other 2 coaches with worse records Coach Crowder at NU (0.417) was fired after his ninth season (0.423), while Coach Dennehy (0.418) lasted for another 5 seasons before being fired after 13 seasons (0.420). Of the other sub-0.500 coaches after 7 seasons Coach McDoanld (0.452) was fired after 10 seasons (0.449) and Coach Cahoon (0.439) parted ways with UMass after 12 seasons (0.432).

Coach Gendron is in a similar situation, although Maine is having a better season than UConn so far.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            Eighteen Hockey East head coaches hired since the start of the league lasted seven seasons, including Coaches Mallen, Cavanaugh and Sneddon, who coached one or two seasons before their teams joined Hockey East (and which I have included in their records). Of those 18 four had worse records than Coach Cavanaugh (0.429) currently has and two were fired, Coaches Serino (0.360) and Mallen (0.360). Of the other 2 coaches with worse records Coach Crowder at NU (0.417) was fired after his ninth season (0.423), while Coach Dennehy (0.418) lasted for another 5 seasons before being fired after 13 seasons (0.420). Of the other sub-0.500 coaches after 7 seasons Coach McDoanld (0.452) was fired after 10 seasons (0.449) and Coach Cahoon (0.439) parted ways with UMass after 12 seasons (0.432).

Coach Gendron is in a similar situation, although Maine is having a better season than UConn so far.

Sean
            How many inherited a program that wasn’t in Hockey East?

Comment

Originally posted by Elbowing View Post
              Six

Sean

BU Hockey Games
              NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Elbowing View Post
                Unfortunately, Cavanaugh has been coaching 7 years at UConn and 6 of those have been in Hockey East. He has yet to have a .500 overall season record since they’ve joined HE. You can’t use the UConn is new to HE excuse anymore.

Comment

exactly,we got outshot by SHU 48-20 and lost Army and tied the worst team in college hockey in SLU. the program is severely under achieving..

Comment

It seems incredible, but SHU might have a shot at the Connecticut Ice, although QU has bounced back. It's tough for UConn, the Coach and Asst. had to basically learn while doing, all the while dealing with State budget crisis. They have twice as many draft picks on the team than Yale this year, should be doing better.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      It's tough for UConn, the Coach and Asst. had to basically learn while doing, all the while dealing with State budget crisis.
                      These are strawman arguments. Coach Cavanaugh spent 18 seasons as an assistant at Boston College, so he really didn't have to "learn while doing." As for the State budget crisis the hockey program didn't have to deal with it at all. Here are the annual expenses for the hockey program since the season before joining Hockey East:

2013-14 - $1,343,981
                      2014-15 - $2,090,910
                      2015-16 - $2,755,445
                      2016-17 - $2,996,326
                      2017-18 - $3,115,793

For 2017-18 that puts them 4th in expenses in Hockey East and 15th overall.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                      NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        These are strawman arguments. Coach Cavanaugh spent 18 seasons as an assistant at Boston College, so he really didn't have to "learn while doing." As for the State budget crisis the hockey program didn't have to deal with it at all. Here are the annual expenses for the hockey program since the season before joining Hockey East:

2013-14 - $1,343,981
                        2014-15 - $2,090,910
                        2015-16 - $2,755,445
                        2016-17 - $2,996,326
                        2017-18 - $3,115,793

For 2017-18 that puts them 4th in expenses in Hockey East and 15th overall.

Sean
                        Being a career Assistant does not make one instantly a great head coach, also his Asst Perierra had one season of coaching experience for the SHU club team. I stand corrected on the budget. How much longer do you think the give Cavanaugh to turn the ship around?
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          Being a career Assistant does not make one instantly a great head coach, also his Asst Perierra had one season of coaching experience for the SHU club team. I stand corrected on the budget. How much longer do you think the give Cavanaugh to turn the ship around?
                          I agree being a career assistant doesn't make one instantly a great head coach (a subject which has been much discussed on the BU threads). However Coach Cavanaugh was the associate head coach at BC for 9 seasons which should have made him ready to go on day one. BTW, you stated that he "had to basically learn while doing," which is what I disagreed with. Being a great head coach is an entirely separate issue from knowing how to be a head coach.

As I posted in this thread, six Hockey East head coaches with poor overall records lasted 7, 9, 10, 11 and 12 seasons. Of the two fired after 7 seasons neither Coaches Mallen (in Hockey East) or Serino had even a single winning overall or league record, nor won a quarterfinal series (although Coach Mallen did win an 8v9 play-in game vs BC). Of the other four they all had some success in their first 7 seasons: Coach Cahoon was 3 of 7 overall, 2 of 7 in league, 3 quarterfinal series wins and 1 semifinal win; Coach Crowder was 2 of 7 overall; 1 of 7 plus a 0.500 season in league, no quarterfinal series wins; Coach Dennehy was 2 of 7 overall and in league, 1 quarterfinal series win and 1 semifinal win; Coach MacDonald was 2 of 7 overall and in league, 1 quarterfinal series win. Coach Gendron, also in his seventh season, is 2 of 6 overall and in league, with 1 opening round series win. I don't know what the AD will do about Coach Cavanaugh, but I would give at most until the end of next season to have a winning overall and league record and win a quarterfinal series.

Sean

BU Hockey Games
                          NCAA Hockey Financials

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply Sean, you obviously put much work into your stats, quite impressive. My heart hopes they turn it around as Perierra is from my hometown, and more good D-1 teams in CT the better IMO. I fear the CT Ice Tourney is not going to be a big of a draw as some think, I hope I am wrong.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Thanks for the detailed reply Sean, you obviously put much work into your stats, quite impressive. My heart hopes they turn it around as Perierra is from my hometown, and more good D-1 teams in CT the better IMO. I fear the CT Ice Tourney is not going to be a big of a draw as some think, I hope I am wrong.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                              X