No announcement yet.

RPI Recruit Thread 2019-20 (Part II)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Recruit Thread 2019-20 (Part II)

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
    On the zoom call, Dave Smith said that we frequently battle Clarkson head to head for recruits and that twice this year we beat them head to head for a recruit. I bet Finn Brown is one of them, and the other is one of the other Canadian players who committed this year.

He also said he really likes recruiting Canadian players. I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of players from Canada increase over the coming years.
    Brown also immediately crossed my mind. The other one wasn't clear to me. I thought of Schreifels and Gagnon, but Beaton is also possible.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      Brown also immediately crossed my mind. The other one wasn't clear to me. I thought of Schreifels and Gagnon, but Beaton is also possible.
      Since he said this year, I don't think he meant Beaton. I was thinking Gagnon or Robinson, but Schreifels is definitely an option too. We will never know but Clarkson still sucks, and I am VERY GLAD we went 2-0 head to head for recruits this year

Comment

Smith also mentioned many alums who have helped in recruiting. One he mentioned was Mark Jooris whose son went to Union while SA was coach at RPI supposedly because a scholarship was not available. It's good to know that Jooris supports us again. Payton Robinson played for him at Burlington.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Since he said this year, I don't think he meant Beaton. I was thinking Gagnon or Robinson, but Schreifels is definitely an option too. We will never know but Clarkson still sucks, and I am VERY GLAD we went 2-0 head to head for recruits this year
          "This year" to me is vague. He may have meant as you wrote, players who committed this year, but he could mean players coming in the fall. Anyway, great that we went 2-0.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
            "This year" to me is vague. He may have meant as you wrote, players who committed this year, but he could mean players coming in the fall. Anyway, great that we went 2-0.
            The wording sezenack used does not imply we went 2-0. It implies we twice beat them. We could very well have lost out on some others.

Regardless, this confirms what I was starting to suspect; Smith focusing more on Canadians. I had noticed the slight shift, and was wondering if this was a result of losing too many American recruits to the more prestigious hockey schools. With Canadians, that may be less likely as part of the appeal of RPI is being “relatively” close to Canada, at least compared to some schools.

Of course, the risk of Canadians is you’re more likely to potentially lose them to Major Junior. However, it seems to me over the last few years, more often than not when the Canadian takes the NCAA path, they tend to stick with it.

It’ll be interesting to see how this develops. There are more talent pools than ever before, yiu need to spread your resources out as best as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by rsfs04 View Post
              The wording sezenack used does not imply we went 2-0. It implies we twice beat them. We could very well have lost out on some others.

Regardless, this confirms what I was starting to suspect; Smith focusing more on Canadians. I had noticed the slight shift, and was wondering if this was a result of losing too many American recruits to the more prestigious hockey schools. With Canadians, that may be less likely as part of the appeal of RPI is being “relatively” close to Canada, at least compared to some schools.

Of course, the risk of Canadians is you’re more likely to potentially lose them to Major Junior. However, it seems to me over the last few years, more often than not when the Canadian takes the NCAA path, they tend to stick with it.

It’ll be interesting to see how this develops. There are more talent pools than ever before, yiu need to spread your resources out as best as you can.
              Smith said directly that we went 2-0 during the call. I just didn't include the fact it was 2-0 in my first post. I agree with the rest of your points. Talent comes from everywhere; it's a matter of finding not only talented players but also the right ones who fit the system and school.

Comment

Smith said directly that we went 2-0 during the call. I just didn't include the fact it was 2-0 in my first post. I agree with the rest of your points. Talent comes from everywhere; it's a matter of finding not only talented players but also the right ones who fit the system and school.
                Right, i had written in my notes that Smith said "2-0". I agree that he could have made an error. He apparently made others also. Everyone does when speaking. (Well, at least I do. )
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Not really much here........ RD 4, Pick 60: Finn Brown, North York ON, St. Michaels Buzzers, LW

Dubuque went back to the Buzzers for their second pick out of the first five. Brown, much like Alexander is a high-scoring forward. Brown, however, is more of the goal scoring threat of the two. He tallied 29 goals and 54 points in 53 games during the 2019-20 season. Brown is also an RPI hockey commit.

“Big, strong, shooter who scored 30 goals in Jr hockey last season. Played with Halliday and Alexander in midget hockey.” https://www.dubuquefightingsaints.co...e/show/1104429
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

A month ago, the NAHL announced that they were postponing their draft until 7/21/20. However there will be what they are calling a supplemental draft on Tuesday, 5/12/20 consisting of three rounds. Thus they are really leaving the first three rounds in May. Furthermore each team will be able to tender an additional player on Wednesday, 5/13/20. Link https://nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=29362 (Change https to http as usual.)

We have nine commitments who are not expected to arrive this year, of which three, Itagaki, Leibold, and McDonald, are already the property of NAHL teams. https://portal.usahockey.com/tool/pu...r/juniors/nahl

I don't expect Brown to be drafted on Tuesday although someone could take a flyer on him in July. That leaves, Babich, Nykanen, Fawkes, Watson, and Robinson. I think that Babich will be drafted, perhaps on Tuesday, despite being an Omaha affiliate. Nykanen and Fawkes are possibilities. Robinson is unlikely and Watson very unlikely.
                    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-09-2020, 04:48 AM.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

FWIW, it was posted on the Harvard thread that there are rumors that Ryan Healey, Eric's son, is headed there.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

CH has revised hos 2020 lists. Interesting to see who has coming this year & next. Obviously not cut in stone.....Revised 2021; .Altti Nykanen-LW 03-09-20 Bishops College 6'3 183 09-26-01
                        Henri Schriefels-LC 01-19-20 Victoria (BCHL) 6'1 195 07-01-00
                        Jack Watson-G 12-24-19 Coquitlam (BCHL) 6'2 175 03-14-00
                        Payton Robinson-RD 10-21-19 2022 Burlington (OJHL) 6'3 190 04-30-03
                        Finn Brown-RW 10-07-19 St.Michaels (OJHL) 6'3 185 06-04-02
                        Lauri Sertti-D Amarillo (NAHL) 6'1 192 07-11-99
                        Xander Babich-LW 02-17-19 2022 Chicago Mission U16 5'11 170 05-13-03
                        Hunter McDonald-LD 11-27-18 Corpus Christi (NAHL) 6'3 190 05-11-02
                        Eric Fawkes-LW 10-17-18 Winkler (MJHL) 6'2 190 03-13-01
                        Dylan Davies-LD 10-10-18 Sioux Falls (USHL) 6'1 176 02-09-01
                        Max Itagaki-RW 09-23-18 Janesville (NAHL) 5'6 140 06-18-02
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                          CH has revised hos 2020 lists. Interesting to see who has coming this year & next. Obviously not cut in stone.....Revised 2021; .Altti Nykanen-LW 03-09-20 Bishops College 6'3 183 09-26-01
                          Henri Schriefels-LC 01-19-20 Victoria (BCHL) 6'1 195 07-01-00
                          Jack Watson-G 12-24-19 Coquitlam (BCHL) 6'2 175 03-14-00
                          Payton Robinson-RD 10-21-19 2022 Burlington (OJHL) 6'3 190 04-30-03
                          Finn Brown-RW 10-07-19 St.Michaels (OJHL) 6'3 185 06-04-02
                          Lauri Sertti-D Amarillo (NAHL) 6'1 192 07-11-99
                          Xander Babich-LW 02-17-19 2022 Chicago Mission U16 5'11 170 05-13-03
                          Hunter McDonald-LD 11-27-18 Corpus Christi (NAHL) 6'3 190 05-11-02
                          Eric Fawkes-LW 10-17-18 Winkler (MJHL) 6'2 190 03-13-01
                          Dylan Davies-LD 10-10-18 Sioux Falls (USHL) 6'1 176 02-09-01
                          Max Itagaki-RW 09-23-18 Janesville (NAHL) 5'6 140 06-18-02
                          You meant Leibold, not Itagaki for 2020. I doubt that either is coming this year. I doubt even more McDonald is coming this year and Sertti in 2021 despite being born in 1999. (You clearly doubted Sertti in 2021 too.)
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            You meant Leibold, not Itagaki for 2020. I doubt that either is coming this year. I doubt even more McDonald is coming this year and Sertti in 2021 despite being born in 1999. (You clearly doubted Sertti in 2021 too.)
                            That’s a “cut & paste” of CH’s list of incoming players for 2021. I have nothing on it. I found it interesting he has Liebold coming in the Fall & Sertti, Davies & Schriefels not coming till 2021.

Comment

I think we need to be mindful that Smith is a holder of a journalism and public relations degree from tOSU .... So some creative marketing is not out of the question....but its fun to read he's mixing it up on the recruiting trail..
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

From a free Neutral Zone post about the USHL draft https://www.neutralzone.net/mens/202...l-draft-recap/

Dubuque
                                Phase II
                                Value Pick: Finn Brown (F, R, 6’4″, 191, St. Michael’s Buzzers, 04/06/2002, RPI) -The linemate of second round pick Ryan Alexander, Finn Brown brings a physical, power forward approach to his game. He’s big, he’s tough, he has touch around the net and can open up space for his teammates. He’s tough to play against below the dots and he’s got deceptive vision particularly in tight areas and sets up his linemates with regularity in scoring areas. He’s more of a goal scorer net front type than Alexander and benefits playing on the wing with a skilled centerman who can get him the puck in the slot area. He has a powerful shot and had a good showing at the CJHL Top Prospects game (so did Alexander).

Omaha Lancers-Phase I
                                Top Pick: Aiden Dubinsky (D, R, 5’10”, 160, Florida Alliance U16, 04/28/2004) (Florida Alliance U16) – Aiden has long been regarded as a solid, steady, tough defenseman by our staff. He has terrific lateral movement and denies clean zone entries. He is explosive on his blades and makes big hits on the wall and in space. His play is mostly simple but what he does (defending his end,) he does at a high level. The 2004 received an “A-” at National Camp and was selected to NZ’s All-Star team. His puck play is a work in progress but we see signs he will get there. Highly talented with his best hockey ahead. High IQ, two-way prospect. OHL pick and here is what we said after he was selected a month ago.

Ryan Healey is also mentioned, but since he is going elsewhere, I won't post that.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X