• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economic, and Tax Policy 9: No, No, No, We Compost The Rich

Oh that is gold

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Any guesses on Thursday's unemployment numbers?

This would be initial claims for the week ending April 4th.

I'm going to guess a slight drop from the giant week, only 4.5 Million, for a grand total of 14.5 unemployed in the last three weeks.

With Disney announcing furloughs, DX's company, and many similar to mine making smaller cuts, this is going to easily stretch to 20 Million.
      Well, these weren’t furloughs. Just mandatory use of vacation or unpaid leave. Not sure if mandatory unpaid leave is the same technically as furlough. I don’t understand unemployment law well enough.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
        Hopefully, this brings about a massive overhaul/change in philosophy...not going to hold my breath though.
        Yeah, don't bother. The NRA will never return to its nonpartisan 1960s model of promoting sportsmanship/marksmanship, safety, and sensible legislation. That ship sailed with Harlon Carter at the "Cincinnati Coup" and went full-steam ahead with Neal Knox and Wayne LaPierre. The ammosexuals won the war for the near-term future of America's gun laws, and someday after several dozen more mass shootings and once rural America no longer has the numbers to beat it back, 2A is going to be amended or overturned. Once that's done, in some states you'll be lucky to keep dad's deer rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Once that's done, in some states you'll be lucky to keep dad's deer rifle.
          lolwut

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

CNBC this morning discussing poll numbers regarding the business side of this pandemic and reaction. (Typing while driving)

Trump approval. From 43 to 46.
            Trump disapproval. From 49 to 40

Democrats in congress approval. ~40
            Republicans in congress approval. ~40

Bailout approval. Supportive by both parties.

New bailout talk should focus on:
            Hospitals, small businesses, local restaurants, actual people. Overwhelming bipartisan support for this.

Industries that can go fu** themselves: oil and gas, air lines, large corps who are looking for a hand out, cruise ships. Especially cruise ships. Overwhelming bipartisan support for these industries to go die in a fire.

They also noted that there are conservative Republicans starting to privately whisper concern about how this all gets paid for.
            Last edited by aparch; 04-08-2020, 07:23 AM.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

CNBC this morning discussing poll numbers regarding the business side of this pandemic and reaction. (Typing while driving)

Trump approval. From 43 to 46.
              Trump disapproval. From 49 to 40

Democrats in congress approval. ~40
              Republicans in congress approval. ~40

Bailout approval. Supportive by both parties.

New bailout talk should focus on:
              Hospitals, small businesses, local restaurants, actual people. Overwhelming bipartisan support for this.

Industries that can go fu** themselves: oil and gas, air lines, large corps who are looking for a hand out, cruise ships. Especially cruise ships. Overwhelming bipartisan support for these industries to go die in a fire.

They also noted that there are conservative Republicans starting to privately whisper concern about how this all gets paid for.
              Well, ******** getting a bump. Surprise, surprise.
              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                Well, ******** getting a bump. Surprise, surprise.
                The only thing anyone ever likes him for is business, and that bump still sucks. His overall numbers still stink his bump is almost gone.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  The only thing anyone ever likes him for is business, and that bump still sucks. His overall numbers still stink his bump is almost gone.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI2phM7eCVU

Here's my answer to these business morons and their BS.
                  **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                    lolwut
                    It's inevitable that as major gun violence continues unchecked, and a loud/angry minority continue to insist that any legislation of firearms is unreasonable and unconstitutional, a majority of Americans will eventually grow weary enough that they will support an end to all gun ownership. Sort of like dealing with a misbehaving child - if you won't play nice, then you lose all of your toys.

At any rate, this isn't really a discussion for this particular thread.

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

CNBC is hearing an estimated five million new claims will be announced tomorrow morning. On top of the six and a half million last week and three and a half the week prior.

If that's true, that's 15 million people unemployed within three weeks.

And, there is now talk that some states only have *weeks* worth of unemployment funding saved up, which will cause them to borrow from the Treasury to cover.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

That's interesting cause I just heard today that there are supposed to be huge incentives in place for employers to keep people on the payroll (employed). Seems there is a contradiction there.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            That's interesting cause I just heard today that there are supposed to be huge incentives in place for employers to keep people on the payroll (employed). Seems there is a contradiction there.
                            This would be people who were laid off for week ending March 28th. Trump approved the plan that included the small business loans for keeping people employed on the 27th.

There will likely be a lull in newly unemployed for week ending April 4th, and then a jump again for the week ending this Saturday (April 11th) as states extended S-I-P and ordered more businesses closed.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

This would be people who were laid off for week ending March 28th. Trump approved the plan that included the small business loans for keeping people employed on the 27th.

There will likely be a lull in newly unemployed for week ending April 4th, and then a jump again for the week ending this Saturday (April 11th) as states extended S-I-P and ordered more businesses closed.
                              Ok, that makes sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Ok, that makes sense.
                                Wait, wait, wait. I need to correct my post, and some prior posts. Because I, not an economist who is learning on the fly while listening to business radio, was wrong about the lag time in reporting unemployment numbers.

Tomorrow's initial jobless claims will be for those claims filed the week ending April 4th. (March 29 thru April 4th)

Projections now estimate another SIX million filed last week. We find out tomorrow at 730 am.

So to recap:
                                December 29-January 4 = 212,000 initial claims added to unemployment
                                January 5-11 = 207,000 initial claims
                                January 12-18 = 220,000 initial claims
                                January 19-25 = 211,000 initial claims
                                January 26-February 1 = 201,000 initial claims
                                February 2-8 = 204,000 initial claims
                                February 9-15 = 215,000 initial claims
                                February 16-22 = 220,000 initial claims
                                February 23-29 = 216,000 initial claims
                                March 1-7 = 211,000 initial claims
                                March 8-14 = 280,000 initial claims
                                March 15-21 = 3.3 Mil initial claims
                                March 22-28 = 6.6 Mil initial claims added to unemployment
                                March 29-April 4 = ???

March 29-April 4 would be the week after Congress historically pushed through the funding for companies who wanted to hang on. If they're estimating another six million off the payrolls...

*edit* And according to This site there were an estimated seven million people already unemployed at the beginning of march (Ending March 1st) meaning seven million plus half a million (estimated) before coronavirus layoffs, plus the 10 million from Coronavirus (so far) means there are approximately 17 million people unemployed in the US currently. And growing.
                                Last edited by aparch; 04-08-2020, 04:38 PM.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X