• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economic, and Tax Policy 9: No, No, No, We Compost The Rich

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    . Couch isn’t the same, even with a 60incher
    Disagree.

I have 7.1, 65” plasma, reclining couches, and not sticky floors, fewer idiots on their phones, talking, or moving around.

The sound in theaters is often too much, the 7.1 less boomy. The other problem is that the theater speakers are put above your head instead of around your seats; worse surround effects. As for the screen, I’ll take my plasma too. Deeper blacks, less washed out colors. Even with the super high end DLP, they turn the brightness up way too much.

The one area where theaters crush is comedies, horror films, and stupid so-bad-they’re-good films like Alien vs. Predator. Much better to be with a crowd for those. And the epic screen type movies and documentaries. I regret not seeing Apollo 11 in theaters. I also imagine some of the epics like Lawrence are beautiful in theaters.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Disagree.

I have 7.1, 65” plasma, reclining couches, and not sticky floors, fewer idiots on their phones, talking, or moving around.

The sound in theaters is often too much, the 7.1 less boomy. The other problem is that the theater speakers are put above your head instead of around your seats; worse surround effects. As for the screen, I’ll take my plasma too. Deeper blacks, less washed out colors. Even with the super high end DLP, they turn the brightness up way too much.

The one area where theaters crush is comedies, horror films, and stupid so-bad-they’re-good films like Alien vs. Predator. Much better to be with a crowd for those. And the epic screen type movies and documentaries. I regret not seeing Apollo 11 in theaters. I also imagine some of the epics like Lawrence are beautiful in theaters.
      Opinions vary
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I have some bad news for you and Larry.

Note that the entire US is not tracking at once -- it's going to be a series of those curves, each of which takes about 10 weeks. This is going to last 30-50 weeks.

Finance people should stay away from subjects where actual intelligence is needed like medicine and science. Stick to the booby prize of making money. That's what we give those twats to keep them busy.
        Well unfortunately with republican leadership I’m not sure we’ll learn. We could have been a Germany or SK, instead we’re a joke because our inept leadership is going to kill people and businesses. It did not have to be this bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I have some bad news for you and Larry.

Note that the entire US is not tracking at once -- it's going to be a series of those curves, each of which takes about 10 weeks. This is going to last 30-50 weeks.

Finance people should stay away from subjects where actual intelligence is needed like medicine and science. Stick to the booby prize of making money. That's what we give those twats to keep them busy.
          Kepler realizes he is comparing a time when there was no useful medicine to today?

Comment

Kepler realizes he is comparing a time when there was no useful medicine to today?
            mookie realizes that Twitter has weaponized stupidity and allowed it to travel at the speed of light?
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Comment

Disagree.

This will vary person to person. Personally, I couldn't imagine getting anything close to the experience I've had with MCU movies in the last few years at home with no one else. Not a horror fan, but the same seems to go with that genre too. Plus I don't have a $4-7k lump sum to invest in a good home theatre setup. But I can spread $400-600 over the course of the year for theatre expenses. Also figure that we will see new pricing models to cover the lost theatre revenues for tentpole films. I wouldn't be shocked to see a $40 or $50 price tag for the first 3-4 weeks an MCU movie is available for at home viewing if we forego theaters.
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Yeah I think the "theater is dead" theory is way off. I think a lot of smaller films will forgo theaters cause they make no money anyways but no way would Disney, WB, Sony or Universal take their huge blockbusters and go VOD with them. The amount of money lost would be astounding. Netflix is the gold standard of this stuff and they lose money by the bucketload.

The problem is you lose all the money on repeat business. (unless people are dumb enough to rent) If Avengers: Cause We Need More Money is released on Disney+ sure millions will watch. But most of them will already be members so there is no extra revenue gained. Even if Disney+ required you to buy it to watch it as a "premiere" of sorts you only have to buy it once you wont have to buy it again. (just like Amazon, Google Play or Apple) I could watch it 100 times for the one time only price. Whereas before people needed to pay multiple times (unless they had a subscription service...which is what killed MoviePass) to see it in the theater multiple times (bumping up the receipts) now there is nothing.

Not to mention VOD all but guarantees pirating almost overnight...

As long as the big studios need their tentpole films there will always be theaters.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm comparing two periods when there was ignorance among decision makers.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The only advantage of movies over big screen at home is teens still use it as an excuse to get away from their parents, ditch the movie, and screw. Although presumably that's tweens, now.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

mookie realizes that Twitter has weaponized stupidity and allowed it to travel at the speed of light?
                        Two days ago Kepler didn’t use tweeter... now he’s an expert?!?

Comment

Two days ago Kepler didn’t use tweeter... now he’s an expert?!?
                          I never mentioned Twitter concerning this. Don't cross the streams.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                            This will vary person to person. Personally, I couldn't imagine getting anything close to the experience I've had with MCU movies in the last few years at home with no one else..
                            Sitting with nothing on but yer socks shouldn’t count as a comparison

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              I never mentioned Twitter concerning this. Don't cross the streams.
                              “This”

Comment

Sitting with nothing on but yer socks shouldn’t count as a comparison
                                How is that different from a theater?
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X