X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economic, and Tax Policy 9: No, No, No, We Compost The Rich

Originally posted by rufus View Post
    So, a year from now things will be better?

Whew, that's a relief. How many dead by that time? My number from the beginning was half a million.

Just like the flu.
    Not like the flu ya boob
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      US or the world?
      Presumably the US. And assuming the US is 1/30th of the world, that's 15M globally.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        US or the world?
        US. I'm seeing projections that just Texas and Florida could top half a million
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

US. I'm seeing projections that just Texas and Florida could top half a million
          Gotta assume CA will lead us in the end. There are almost as many people in CA as in Spain.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            Yeah I think the "theater is dead" theory is way off. I think a lot of smaller films will forgo theaters cause they make no money anyways but no way would Disney, WB, Sony or Universal take their huge blockbusters and go VOD with them. The amount of money lost would be astounding. Netflix is the gold standard of this stuff and they lose money by the bucketload.

The problem is you lose all the money on repeat business. (unless people are dumb enough to rent) If Avengers: Cause We Need More Money is released on Disney+ sure millions will watch. But most of them will already be members so there is no extra revenue gained. Even if Disney+ required you to buy it to watch it as a "premiere" of sorts you only have to buy it once you wont have to buy it again. (just like Amazon, Google Play or Apple) I could watch it 100 times for the one time only price. Whereas before people needed to pay multiple times (unless they had a subscription service...which is what killed MoviePass) to see it in the theater multiple times (bumping up the receipts) now there is nothing.

Not to mention VOD all but guarantees pirating almost overnight...

As long as the big studios need their tentpole films there will always be theaters.
            Disney will follow the release plan like they did with “Onward”, the new Pixar movie. They linked to it on the Disney+ platform, but that would take users to amend where they could choose the service from which to buy it, like Amazon, for $20. My wife and I did that.
            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

That is how I figured it worked. And that is why I am saying it is a revenue loser. For you and your wife it is probably a wash but if you had 2 kids Disney just lost half the revenue of the sale. If the kids want to watch it again they lose that as well.

VOD is the equivalent of DVD sales...and with how much movies cost nowadays it just is not going to take over for theaters. Maybe when they figure out a new cost structure but that wont be for a while. Unless they all want to take major losses on films already made...
              Last edited by Handyman; 04-03-2020, 10:27 AM.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Gotta assume CA will lead us in the end. There are almost as many people in CA as in Spain.
                Not so sure. I think at least Cali is putting the measures in place to mitigate bad outcomes. Texas and Florida missed that window a long time ago.
                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

And the PPP that SJHovey was touting is a complete and total dumpster fire. Bank of America is denying anyone who doesnt have a credit card or laon with them (even if they are loyal long term customers with business accounts) and other banks havent even got the application ready yet.

Bank of American is getting skewered right now. They need some way to fix this or they could be in some serious trouble.

edit: Looks like Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo for sure werent ready when the project launched. At the same time:

That didnt age well
                  Last edited by Handyman; 04-03-2020, 12:21 PM.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Nooo. Are you saying the talking points trotted out by a conservative aren’t working??

There’s nothing else to trot out since they can’t admit this is a mess lead by their party

Comment

I dont get BofA. First they are the lone holdout of mortgage relief in California...now they are basically screwing over their business account holders. Are they TRYING to crash and burn? Even Wells Fargo isnt this malicious and stupid.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I dont get BofA. First they are the lone holdout of mortgage relief in California...now they are basically screwing over their business account holders. Are they TRYING to crash and burn? Even Wells Fargo isnt this malicious and stupid.
                        I think you shouldn't get your information from twitter! Banks are following the guidance laid down by the treasury, which is you should go through whoever gave you your business loans in the first place as they already have your info and can process faster. All banks are going to be crushed with applications so for once the Treasury has it right - going where you already have a loan will make it a lot easier.
                        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Not so sure. I think at least Cali is putting the measures in place to mitigate bad outcomes. Texas and Florida missed that window a long time ago.
                          So they have statewide SIP?
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            So they have statewide SIP?
                            CA? Yes.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

...Even Wells Fargo isnt this malicious
                              Agreed
                              and stupid.
                              Whoa, whoa, whoa. You're giving too much credit to Wells Fargo.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                                I think you shouldn't get your information from twitter! Banks are following the guidance laid down by the treasury, which is you should go through whoever gave you your business loans in the first place as they already have your info and can process faster. All banks are going to be crushed with applications so for once the Treasury has it right - going where you already have a loan will make it a lot easier.
                                Sure thing boss. Why would I listen to what the people not being helped say...what would they know anyways. I should trust you and your friends who are so forthright and honest.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X