This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Business, Economic, and Tax Policy 9: No, No, No, We Compost The Rich

I prefer to wait until after the election for a couple of reasons. First, although I'm confident Schiff will do his job and do it well, as we say with the Ukraine treason if you don't have a cooperative Justice Dept its going to be that much harder to get the info you need. Next, it does look petty in the middle of the crisis. Let's focus on getting the medical personnel the equipment that they need.

Where I do agree though is we need prosecutions after Inauguration Day. Not a slap on the wrist either, but jail time. That's the only way to discourage these people. Nixon's cronies all went to the clink even if he himself benefited from a pardon. Same things needs to happen here. There's a reason why execs don't cook the books as much anymore. Its out of fear after a bunch of them served lengthy prison sentences after Enron and other companies blew up. That's the model I'm looking for with a Biden appointed Justice Dept and US Attorneys.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      Sorry, I’m with Kevin kruse on this one. Today, early April? No. In the hope things slow a bit, Congress should still do its oversight job and investigate crimes before 2021
      I’m working all day and won’t be able to respond all day so I guess we’ll just agree to disagree.
      Kruse is wrong too. If they start an commission now it will be a PR disaster a month from now. Investigating is one thing, having a commission or any sort of hearings in the midst of a pandemic will just look awful. The earliest they should even talk about it is once things start to open up a bit. (whenever the hell that is)

This isnt about what is right and wrong, because we all know who should hang over this. Every time the Dems hold another hearing into something this administration does though it backfires in the end and this will too. (not to mention it isnt like they will be able to hold anyone accountable anyways...that has been proven for 4 years) The Dems need to keep their optics clear on this for the foreseeable future. Trump and his clowns are baiting them, hoping to draw them into the fight to hurt their numbers as much as he is hurting his own. More investigations in the hopes of tarnishing The Administration is the fight he wants. And lets be clear that is exactly what will happen here. (and again no one of any value, even from a private business will be held accountable)

Congress has ways of doing oversight without making into a whole big ordeal. That should be what they do for the time being. If in June we have seen the worst of it and the country is shifting back into normalcy a bit THEN you can look into this deeper. (and do way more damage) Doing it while much of the country is homebound over this though will look dumb and will just play further into Trump's "They are out to get me!" rhetoric. Right now he looks like a fool saying that stuff, he wont if they literally are out to get him

Note: My objection is not because I dont think they should all fry and Congress shouldnt hang them in the town square. My objection is none of that will happen and the Dems will end up with egg on their face if they do this while half the country is home bound and unemployed.

But yes reasonable people like us can agree to disagree
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        I think the more upscale sit-down restaurants that depend heavily on liquor sales are just trying to burn up what's left of their inventory before they shut down. There's a couple here in my town that are slowly eliminating items from their GrubHub/DoorDash/UberEats menus as they run out of them, and I figure in about another week they will probably both close.
        I really wish MN would allow alcohol sales with delivery but considering we still can’t sell alcohol in grocery stores I’m sure it won’t be allowed

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          The only way to deal with these criminals is afterwards. I am fine with not going anywhere near an investigation until the pandemic is contained. However we cannot repeat the mistakes of 1977, 1993 and 2009. If we can pry this criminal conspiracy away from the levers of power we have to follow it up with thorough investigations, trials, convictions, and punishments.
          Yeah. The GOP right now are the "Moral Hazard" and cant let it fester any longer. When this is over we need to show why the crap they are pulling is killing the country. They wont change until they are forced to, and well, the Dems never do really force them to. (nor do the voters)

The way things are trending the Dems wont be prevented from holding everyone to account...so friggin do it this time. And do it out in the open for the world to see. Make sure every voter sees what really happened.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            Yeah. The GOP right now are the "Moral Hazard" and cant let it fester any longer. When this is over we need to show why the crap they are pulling is killing the country. They wont change until they are forced to, and well, the Dems never do really force them to. (nor do the voters)

The way things are trending the Dems wont be prevented from holding everyone to account...so friggin do it this time. And do it out in the open for the world to see. Make sure every voter sees what really happened.
            Biden will not be inclined to pursue it. So we need somebody like Schiff really pushing it. Somebody who understands as long as we don't fumigate the rats they'll Keep. Coming. Back.

Even if it putting these people in prison was literally all the next administration and Congress accomplished, it would be a huge step forward, because these are the people who prevent any progress in this country. You have to fix the flat tire first before you can do any driving.
            Last edited by Kepler; 04-02-2020, 10:45 AM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Kruse is wrong too. If they start an commission now it will be a PR disaster a month from now. Investigating is one thing, having a commission or any sort of hearings in the midst of a pandemic will just look awful. The earliest they should even talk about it is once things start to open up a bit. (whenever the hell that is)

This isnt about what is right and wrong, because we all know who should hang over this. Every time the Dems hold another hearing into something this administration does though it backfires in the end and this will too. (not to mention it isnt like they will be able to hold anyone accountable anyways...that has been proven for 4 years) The Dems need to keep their optics clear on this for the foreseeable future. Trump and his clowns are baiting them, hoping to draw them into the fight to hurt their numbers as much as he is hurting his own. More investigations in the hopes of tarnishing The Administration is the fight he wants. And lets be clear that is exactly what will happen here. (and again no one of any value, even from a private business will be held accountable)

Congress has ways of doing oversight without making into a whole big ordeal. That should be what they do for the time being. If in June we have seen the worst of it and the country is shifting back into normalcy a bit THEN you can look into this deeper. (and do way more damage) Doing it while much of the country is homebound over this though will look dumb and will just play further into Trump's "They are out to get me!" rhetoric. Right now he looks like a fool saying that stuff, he wont if they literally are out to get him

Note: My objection is not because I dont think they should all fry and Congress shouldnt hang them in the town square. My objection is none of that will happen and the Dems will end up with egg on their face if they do this while half the country is home bound and unemployed.

But yes reasonable people like us can agree to disagree
              I tend to agree. Wait until the public has at least started to either:
              1. Settle in with the new norms
              2. Dust off the guillotines
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                CNBC's talking heads estimated Q4 as the upturn for the last week. When the Goldman Sachs outlook was read this morning, I'm pretty sure I heard audible laughter from the hosts.
                Q4 I can buy if things open up early enough but right now I am still doubting it. While the news of faster tests is a positive in truth those tests still need to be massed produced and they arent for mass use so you still are going to have the issue of lags in testing and massive backlogs. They might help get the sports leagues running in June or July but that wont help employment much since no one will be allowed at the games. (and I dont even think that will help much anyways because if one player on a team tests positive the whole thing could burn to the ground again)

See the problem is that we have no idea what else is going to shut down and we dont know how long it will take to get the machine churning again. People arent just gonna start traveling and going to movies a week after things get under control. There is going to be weeks and months of slowly getting back to the way things were. (if they do at all) People are going to be hard up for money too so they arent just going to throw it around because now they arent at as high a risk as they were before.

April will be very telling.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I tend to agree. Wait until the public has at least started to either:
                  1. Settle in with the new norms
                  2. Dust off the guillotines
                  And I wasn’t arguing for it now. August or so could work. I just don’t like saying it can’t start for nearly a year - we don’t know that yet

Comment

I really wish MN would allow alcohol sales with delivery but considering we still can’t sell alcohol in grocery stores I’m sure it won’t be allowed
                    We didnt have Sunday liquor sales until a few years ago...it would take years before we could get that passed. Honestly I am not even sure if I like the idea of it outside of saving business in the short term.

It is a weird thing I never even considered before now ya know.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

And I wasn’t arguing for it now. August or so could work. I just don’t like saying it can’t start for nearly a year - we don’t know that yet
                      I think this will still be burning in August: a wave where each month we get a new set of 4 or 5 states. Like a reality show.

Plus you know we will get false starts where people think it's over and come back out and then boom, sorry, it was hiding. That's what happened to San Francisco in 1918. It survived the second deadly wave because the city fathers were smart. But there was an Indian Summer of no deaths. The people went back to normal. And the third wave caught them full blast -- they were just lucky because while the that mutation was just as contagious it was much less lethal.
                      Last edited by Kepler; 04-02-2020, 10:59 AM.
                      Cornell University
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

But it wont have any teeth until after Trump is out of office. Sure it will get lots of headlines but Schiff couldnt get people to cooperate with Impeachment there is no way he will get anyone to cooperate here either. The only chance any justice is truly done is if he has the full weight of the DOJ behind him. That wont happen when the head of the DOJ tells us every day how sweet Trump's *** smells at a press conference.

That is why Schiff is saying what he is saying. Any investigation and commission under the current administration goes nowhere. The GOP will obfuscate and hide and probably then hold a hearing on Hunter Biden or Benghazi again just for funzies.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

But it wont have any teeth until after Trump is out of office. Sure it will get lots of headlines but Schiff couldnt get people to cooperate with Impeachment there is no way he will get anyone to cooperate here either. The only chance any justice is truly done is if he has the full weight of the DOJ behind him. That wont happen when the head of the DOJ tells us every day how sweet Trump's *** smells at a press conference.

That is why Schiff is saying what he is saying. Any investigation and commission under the current administration goes nowhere. The GOP will obfuscate and hide and probably then hold a hearing on Hunter Biden or Benghazi again just for funzies.
                          Exactly so. Quoted for metaphysical truth.
                          Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            CNBC's talking heads estimated Q4 as the upturn for the last week. When the Goldman Sachs outlook was read this morning, I'm pretty sure I heard audible laughter from the hosts.

Also, Hovey, I misspoke on the reply to F2B&G. Michigan will easily double next week. Nationally... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think it's going to be another two mil.

Raceboarder: Saving both to my Google Maps, but would most likely visit the Yorkville location if I get out for a drive this weekend and wanna grab lunch. Been stopping by once a week for tacos at a fantastic place super close to my house: Jefa Tacos in Aurora.
                            Mookie read an outlook from blackrock’s Larry fink today. They are thinking 8-10 weeks until the Wuhan virus clears (4-5 weeks up the curve, 4-5 weeks down the curve). Only then will the economy get to chug. So if things are only going to be turning ‘on’ in the 3rd qtr it will be tough to see a hardy recovery there. Most hopefully bet is 4th with Christmas buying and renewed optimism—— and if there is a vaccination to protect us from repeating history

Larry also opined cinemas are dead to rights. Movie makers will look to immediate streaming and bank that. Nobody will head out to the movies anymore... which is hard to swallow cause there is something cool about seeing stuff on a big screen. Couch isn’t the same, even with a 60incher
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Mookie read an outlook from blackrock’s Larry fink today. They are thinking 8-10 weeks until the Wuhan virus clears
                              I have some bad news for you and Larry.

Note that the entire US is not tracking at once -- it's going to be a series of those curves, each of which takes about 10 weeks. This is going to last 30-50 weeks.

Finance people should stay away from subjects where actual intelligence is needed like medicine and science. Stick to the booby prize of making money. That's what we give those twats to keep them busy.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 04-02-2020, 12:17 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                Mookie read an outlook from blackrock’s Larry fink today. They are thinking 8-10 weeks until the Wuhan virus clears (4-5 weeks up the curve, 4-5 weeks down the curve). Only then will the economy get to chug. So if things are only going to be turning ‘on’ in the 3rd qtr it will be tough to see a hardy recovery there. Most hopefully bet is 4th with Christmas buying and renewed optimism—— and if there is a vaccination to protect us from repeating history

Larry also opined cinemas are dead to rights. Movie makers will look to immediate streaming and bank that. Nobody will head out to the movies anymore... which is hard to swallow cause there is something cool about seeing stuff on a big screen. Couch isn’t the same, even with a 60incher
                                I agree with the assessments (and Larry seems to echo what CNBC guests have repeatedly stated (but they back it up with "but even we don't know."). And we're not getting a vaccine until Q4 or Q1-2021.

As for theaters, this assessment is totally accurate. Big theaters are dead despite seeing it with a group of people. What I can see making headway are smaller "boutique" theaters becoming more mainstream, as long as they have stringent cleaning routines. Costs of that might outweigh the income though.

It was mentioned that streaming services might charge a little bit more to be the host of these first run movies. Disney releasing tent-pole blockbusters on a $5.99/mo service? No. Charging $15/mo for Disney+ with those tentpole movies premiering regularly? Absolutely.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X