World Juniors 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bothman View Post
    I like this US team to do very well here. I think Knight will be the difference. Was not impressed with Canada’s goalie. Very much like US chances in a rematch.

Unfortunate ending for US but plenty to build on. As solid as Pinto was offensively, he got caught watching the puck on Canada goal #1 and then took a bad penalty for Canada goal #2.

Wonder if US will switch up some D pairings? Also need to do better on face offs - felt like Canada won most when mattered.
    I think some D pairings will change and probably shuffle some lines and break up the Caulfield/Beecher line. US doesn’t medal if Caulfield isn’t contributing offensively.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Re: World Juniors 2020

Bottom line they had Canada down after the 1st period but could not put the finishing nails into there coffin...let them back in the game, played undisciplined and sloppy hockey...big/big wake up call...do they come together..? I think they do...sometimes its what it takes to get humbled by a arch rival.
      Last edited by Ma#1ne Hky; 12-26-2019, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        Bottom line they had Canada down after the 1st period but could not put the finishing nails into there coffin...let them back in the game, played undisciplined and sloppy hockey...big/big wake up call...do they come together..? I think they do...sometimes its what it takes to get humbled by a arch rival.
        Nothing to be overly worried about until a loss to Germany or Russia. Avoiding finishing 3rd or worse and having to play Finland or Sweden in first round is the key.
        GO LAKERS!!!
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
          Here in the (Hockey East), we see that happen with such frequency that the term "phenomena" is no longer applicable. BC and bu seem to divide up the National U-18 team in their annual recruiting efforts. They tend to be among the youngest, and possibly the least mature teams, in D1. The kids have been thoroughly pampered and need to take much of their first year to learn one of life's most basic lessons: "it's not all about you". By the time they've become fully acclimated to team play, they are probably sophomores and their minds are on whether to sign with the team that drafted them and how large a contract their agent can get them. No point in waiting around, as they have had a taste of college social life life and have coped with those annoyances created by professors who naively expect them to make a sincere effort to learn something.
          It appears that Wisconsin's coaching staff wants to follow a similar model as they recruited some fine players, sometimes shortly after they players reached puberty. Their own twist seems to be the idea that they will recruit 3 players for every two that they will enroll. They can lock them up for several years while they see who develops and who lags a bit. Some the laggards seem to wind up with lines through their names on the Heisenberg site. What joy it is (not) to have to reopen their recruitment and to contact coaches that they had previously rejected.. Oh, how I wish I ccould buy stocks where, if they don't work out, I can ditch them and only keep the winners. These kids aren't stupid. They can see what is happening. It does a real job on the heads of certain individuals who are struggling with the challenges of being a teenager and really need things in their lives that they can count on.

The point of this mini-rant is that while the players ultimately do the winning and losing on the ice, many games and seasons are successful because of what goes on in the locker room before anyone sets a skate on the ice. The coach has to recruit the "right" players, not just those with the best stats, agents of PR people. These would be strong players who are coachable, team oriented, hockey smart, and who are aware that they need to continue to improve. The coach must then establish the players' trust and belief that he will make them better so that they will buy into his system. A coach, who was a great player and expects to be a successful coach has to have patience as his players will probably not pick up the skills that he found easy when he was in their place. He also must understand who he is coaching - He can't coach college kids the same way he may have coached (or has been coached) as a pro).

I wonder if you have the right staff to manage the kind of talent that they like to recruit. There may simply be a mismatch here. Hockey East has had four coaches who have turned moribund programs around inside of the length of their initial contract. Nate Leaman at PC won a National Championship and his guys have played in another Frozen Final. Norm Bazin at UMass Lowell has won two HEA Championships. Jim Madigan at Northeastern has won two HEA Championships and the last two Beanpot tournaments and has developed a Hobey Baker winner and another finalist. Greg Carvel at UMass Amherst has taken his team to the Final Four in just three years and has also developed a Hobey winner.. The common threads among them was that they took over dumpster programs, the recruited and blended a roster with a few stars and a great many role players. Their players believed in them. They believed that his coaching could make them better, and that they weren't finished products who were ready for the NHL.
          For a variety of reasons, I have a soft spot and positive rooting interest for the Badgers. Sadly, I have not seen anything like the turnaround I had hoped for. I am just a fan and not an expert on Wisco Men's hockey. If I am way off base here, and the situation is better than it looks on the surface, please correct my impression - Politely, please, unlike those Goopher people

Best of luck in the second half.
          Lots of good points. I only take issue with the assumption that all of these NDTP kids have no interest in doing well academically.

As a BU fan, I have argued that the coaches try to balance the young recruits out with older kids, and I think that is true. But I am beginning to wonder if the "older" recruits at BU and BC are by default a lower caliber of recruit than the older kids at the schools you mentioned. Whether it be because of the schools reputation or something else.

it will be interesting to see the impact of the new recruiting rules.
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
            I think some D pairings will change and probably shuffle some lines and break up the Caulfield/Beecher line. US doesn’t medal if Caulfield isn’t contributing offensively.
            As a BU fan, I was disappointed with Zegras' lack of ice time through the first two periods. My guess is that the coaches like him out there when we are trailing, but maybe not so much when we are leading.

I thought Beecher looked very good. Pinto as well, other than the penalty.
            BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Welp, not the start the US was looking for.

Wahlstrom penalty and Germany converts on the PP.

No gimmes in this group. Going to have to compete every shift.
              GO LAKERS!!!
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Jordan Harris.. nice G.
                GO NU HOCKEY
                Always bullish on the future.
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                  Jordan Harris.. nice G.
                  Now that was a nice play. Hard fore check to steal the puck... Unselfish...four nice passes in the zone and then a great finish.

Great stuff to go up 2-1 late.
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                    Now that was a nice play. Hard fore check to steal the puck... Unselfish...four nice passes in the zone and then a great finish.

Great stuff to go up 2-1 late.
                    Gotta stay out of the box. Germany 2 for 2 on PP’s now.

US failed to score on its own PP that was bookend with the end of the first and start of 2nd.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

pinto’s nice tournament continues tying things up for USA late in the 2nd period.

3-3 w/ 5 to go in 2nd period.

Pool B is STACKED this year. Going to be a good hockey team that doesn’t even make the quarterfinals. From what I’ve watched so far, Pool B has five of the best seven teams in this tournament.
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

What a feed by Zegras to setup Hall for the go ahead goal.

Another entertaining game. US with a 4-3 lead after two periods.
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

PP goal by Bobby Brink 5-3
                          Wahlstrom makes it 6-3

USA NOW FACING 3X5 PENALTY KILL

Both penalties killed
                          Last edited by vizoroo; 12-27-2019, 02:22 PM.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            As a BU fan, I was disappointed with Zegras' lack of ice time through the first two periods. My guess is that the coaches like him out there when we are trailing, but maybe not so much when we are leading.

I thought Beecher looked very good. Pinto as well, other than the penalty.
                            Four assists today. Did he get more ice time? (Serious question. I didn’t watch.)
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                              Four assists today. Did he get more ice time? (Serious question. I didn’t watch.)
                              He played ten minutes...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Cole and Alex who?

Comment

Working...
                                X