Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
    The review was to determine if they missed a penalty and if it was a major penalty. Had the officials determined they had indeed missed a major penalty (it can't be a minor) they could have then assessed the call of a major penalty. The goal though would have stood. RPI would only have received the benefit of a 5 min power play. The signalling of 5 to the benches was that there was not a penalty and that play would be 5 on 5.

As for this team and how it is built, the team doesn't have to be built to play physical. UMass isn't built that way, their players just hit. RPI doesn't except for some of the smaller players like Marrello, Polino or Gornal. We have defensemen that care more about caring the puck then playing physical. We have 6'+ forwards who have no idea what physicality is .... you don't have to hit to play a physical brand of hockey.
    Thanks for clearing up the confusion on the goal review. On the physicality piece, I think you are right and the frustration is really that we don't even try and apply any type of physical pressure on the forecheck for most of the game (even just finishing a check). Any team can do that.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      You bring up a very interesting and important point since that goal was probably the deciding factor. I hope to watch the video of that third period again later as i completely missed the hit and injury to our #25. I think the refs did also which would not surprise me as they missed at least 3 blatant penalties in which one of our boys was either pulled down or simply interfered with (our play by play announcer Perry did not miss any of them!) Not sure what the 5 fingers being held up signified either.
      Perry wasn’t on the air on Sunday
      Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
        Thanks for clearing up the confusion on the goal review. On the physicality piece, I think you are right and the frustration is really that we don't even try and apply any type of physical pressure on the forecheck for most of the game (even just finishing a check). Any team can do that.
        When your not the quickest team you have to be very conscious of your spacing which is to say you have to open up your time and space so your not constantly getting walked it makes it harder to hit when your laying off guys. We gave UMass gaps you could drive a Zamboni through last night we did alot of chasing last night.
        What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The review was to determine if they missed a penalty and if it was a major penalty. Had the officials determined they had indeed missed a major penalty (it can't be a minor) they could have then assessed the call of a major penalty. The goal though would have stood. RPI would only have received the benefit of a 5 min power play. The signalling of 5 to the benches was that there was not a penalty and that play would be 5 on 5.

As for this team and how it is built, the team doesn't have to be built to play physical. UMass isn't built that way, their players just hit. RPI doesn't except for some of the smaller players like Marrello, Polino or Gornal. We have defensemen that care more about caring the puck then playing physical. We have 6'+ forwards who have no idea what physicality is .... you don't have to hit to play a physical brand of hockey.
          Thanks for the clarification. I thought they could only review for a major if they called a minor first. Frankly, to me that rule doesn’t make sense as it means they are often looking at a minor penalty they can’t call. It was clearly worthy of a minor and, in my live action view, a major as well. It appeared the UMass player straightened up just before the hit causing his elbow or shoulder to hit Mahshie’s head. I don’t think his skates left the ice but it looked like the kind of attempt to hit high with contact to the head that they’ve been emphasizing.

The other play that I thought might be pretty bad was a hit on Gornall at center ice that looked knee-to-knee but I was partially obstructed on that.

I know Seth developed a reputation for getting on the refs that probably didn’t help us, but I wish Smith would explode once in a while when we get the short end of a few calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
            Perry wasn’t on the air on Sunday
            After a couple of gimlets, i was hearing him very clearly!
            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

You mentioned the one player that we have that does play a physical game - Gornal. Wish more played with his style and determination. And your assessment of our defensive emphasis is spot on. Have not seen many hard checks all year.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                You mentioned the one player that we have that does play a physical game - Gornal. Wish more played with his style and determination. And your assessment of our defensive emphasis is spot on. Have not seen many hard checks all year.
                I use the term (probably too much) "hard to play against." That's not to mean dumb plays by hammering guys on the boards and drawing a 5 minute majors which past RPI teams were more than adept at.. What it does mean to me in today's game is a mentality, tenacity and attitude to pursue pucks and puck handlers. Army is team that often personifies this ...they are never the biggest or most skilled team on the ice, but they nearly always give opponents 3 periods of hustle and effort.

UMass is an extremely skilled team, but they are not a big team. We aided them by not being hard to play against, being tenacious, finishing checks, taking angles that force puckhandlers to change directions...or get hit. Not saying it would've changed the outcome (given our lack of scoring)....but when teams absolutely know they are NOT going to get hit or challenged for possession, they get a lot more creative and daring, IMO. We have a few guys who skate with this mentality, who've been mentioned here but not a whole team...at least not yet. I can dream...
                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Happy New Year everyone.

Even though WaP has been shuttered for a year and a half, I decided to close out the decade by having a look at the Top 10 games of the 2010s as I did at the end of the 2000s during WaP's first year.

Please enjoy. Feel free to debate them if you like. If anyone wants a full list of the 27 finalist games, drop me a line.

https://www.withoutapeer.com/2019/12...-of-2010s.html
                  Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
                    Happy New Year everyone.

Even though WaP has been shuttered for a year and a half, I decided to close out the decade by having a look at the Top 10 games of the 2010s as I did at the end of the 2000s during WaP's first year.

Please enjoy. Feel free to debate them if you like. If anyone wants a full list of the 27 finalist games, drop me a line.

The obligatory "Who are you?"
                    I will have to mull over your list.

"Guten Rutsch!" to you and everyone else.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Happy New Year everyone.

Thanks for a nice read. You're missed in this community. Hope all is well with the family & Happy New Year.
                      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        The obligatory "Who are you?"
                        I will have to mull over your list.

"Guten Rutsch!" to you and everyone else.
                        In case anyone is interested in Tom's post about the previous decade, it is here. He's definitely gotten more verbose.

In both cases https must be changed to http.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

The ECAC non-travel partner schedule for 20-21 has been posted on eLynah on New Year's Day as has become traditional. https://elf.elynah.com/file.php/1/90...ngs_111618.pdf

11/6 Clarkson
                          11/7 SLU
                          11/13 @Yale
                          11/14 @Brown
                          1/1 Princeton
                          1/2 QU
                          1/8 @DC
                          1/9 @Harvard
                          1/15 Brown
                          1/16 Yale
                          1/29 @Cornell
                          1/30 @Colgate
                          2/5 Harvard
                          2/6 DC
                          2/12 @SLU
                          2/13 @Clarkson
                          2/19 @QU
                          2/20 @Princeton
                          2/26 Colgate
                          2/27 Cornell

No switch for Harvard.

Edit: It's Union's turn.
                          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-01-2020, 02:36 PM.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Happy New Year everyone.

Can't quarrel with the list, but I was surprised to learn that the 2010-2011 Freakout! win over Yale did not constitute the deciding points in the Pairwise ranking that year.Which team was directly behind RPI in the Pairwise that year?

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

3 things stand out in this schedule:
                                1. A home game on New Years Day. Has been a long time since that last happened.
                                2. Looks like the 2/6 game vs. DC will be Freakout!
                                3. Only 4 league games before January (probably 6 since our games vs. Union will be played before then). Compared to the 9 that we already have this year, looks like more non-league action early next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X