Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
    Well I read the Red Army articles. I am not up to speed on the process. Are these guys able to de commit ? If there is a log jam and they can play elsewhere, is there a price to pay? As to the goalie situation, let’s not forget that Savory has not been putting the world on fire with his play. I’d say the goalie situation is very much up in the air and who stays and who goes (if there is somewhere to go) will be dependent on who stands out the rest of the season. In my mind it would have to be a place where they would play and would also depend on where things are for them academically .
    They are able to commit, but there is currently nothing keeping them from changing their minds if something which they think is better comes along.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
      Well I read the Red Army articles. I am not up to speed on the process. Are these guys able to de commit ? If there is a log jam and they can play elsewhere, is there a price to pay? As to the goalie situation, let’s not forget that Savory has not been putting the world on fire with his play. I’d say the goalie situation is very much up in the air and who stays and who goes (if there is somewhere to go) will be dependent on who stands out the rest of the season. In my mind it would have to be a place where they would play and would also depend on where things are for them academically .
      for 10 years we were use to our goalies getting better with seth now they are getting worse with smith go I hope this new commitment is great coming in

Comment

Originally posted by puckit717 View Post
        for 10 years we were use to our goalies getting better with seth now they are getting worse with smith go I hope this new commitment is great coming in
        Allen York and Jason Kasdorf were excellent goaltenders but the others I saw post-York were very inconsistent, sometimes to the degree of being a liability. Savory is a very good goaltender and whatever you think of RPI the last two seasons, I think it is clear RPI would have a significantly smaller number of wins had Savory not been here.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
          Allen York and Jason Kasdorf were excellent goaltenders but the others I saw post-York were very inconsistent, sometimes to the degree of being a liability. Savory is a very good goaltender and whatever you think of RPI the last two seasons, I think it is clear RPI would have a significantly smaller number of wins had Savory not been here.
          He is not an assistant coach, but I suspect that Lange helps coach the goalies this year. I have no idea how he is as a coach.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Greetings from the Al Shibley seat in the Field House
            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              Not looking good according to bettors for Sunday. UMass is a big favorite at 82% to 11% with a predicted score of 4-1 and you just do not often see teams made 3 goal favorites that often.
              Nothing to lose though. We had a very competitive game to open the season with them. UMass will be missing Zac Jones but adds Marc Del Gaizo who was injured for the first matchup, so that's a net zero. However, UMass has Olympic-sized ice and has tons of speed all over the ice, so it plays to their advantage. Despite that, we outplayed them 2/3 periods and could have won if not for a horrible second period. The smaller ice will benefit RPI, and I expect another competitive game. No way that I can actually predict a victory, but like the season opener, it'll be much, much closer than everyone seems to think

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                He is not an assistant coach, but I suspect that Lange helps coach the goalies this year. I have no idea how he is as a coach.
                I am sure the volunteer coach Skidmore also helps the goaltenders since he was one when he played

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                  I am sure the volunteer coach Skidmore also helps the goaltenders since he was one when he played
                  I forgot about him.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

My understanding is that it was a combination of factors, but basically that to get good teams, we would have to guarantee them two games in their arena and we, of course, would only play them at most once in ours. This was after it was switched from a round robin to a two-day format. It was completely impossible to get teams willing to play three games. The best thing was to get other teams who also ran tourneys at a different time of year since they might be willing to do a swap.
                    The last year the RPI tournament used the round robin format was during the 1980-81 season, and they really had to do some digging to get teams to come and play three games. They wound up inviting Vasby (a club team from Sweden) and Holy Cross (Mike Addesa's old team), and still had trouble finding a third team.

Finally, Maine agreed to come and join the tournament, but only on the condition that their game against RPI would count as an ECAC league game. (This was before Hockey East split from the ECAC.) They didn't want to come all the way to Troy to play a tournament game that wouldn't count in the league standings and then come back to Troy later in the season to play a league game.

There was a problem with this. Traditionally, overtime periods were never played in the RPI tournament, on the grounds that playing three 60-minute games in three nights was as much as college hockey players should be asked to do. But in order for the RPI - Maine game to count in the ECAC standings, they would have to play overtime if the game were tied after 60 minutes.

It was finally decided that if RPI and Maine were tied at the end of 60 minutes, they would play overtime, but for the purposes of the tournament, the RPI - Maine game would be considered to end at the end of 60 minutes. The overtime would count in the ECAC standings but the championship of the tournament would be decided as if the overtime had never happened.

The rules of the tournament specified that if two teams finished with the same W-L-T record over the three nights, the championship would be decided by most total goals scored. Against Vasby and Holy Cross, two defensively-challenged teams, RPI rang up a total of 22 goals - and Maine scored even more.

This led to the interesting situation where, if the RPI - Maine game had gone to overtime and if RPI had scored in the overtime, it would have been possible for RPI to go 3-0 over the course of three nights and not win the tournament, since Maine would have been declared the tournament champion on the basis of total goals over 180 minutes.

But that didn't happen. Maine beat RPI 5-3 and won the tournament, no questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                      The last year the RPI tournament used the round robin format was during the 1980-81 season, and they really had to do some digging to get teams to come and play three games. They wound up inviting Vasby (a club team from Sweden) and Holy Cross (Mike Addesa's old team), and still had trouble finding a third team.

Finally, Maine agreed to come and join the tournament, but only on the condition that their game against RPI would count as an ECAC league game. (This was before Hockey East split from the ECAC.) They didn't want to come all the way to Troy to play a tournament game that wouldn't count in the league standings and then come back to Troy later in the season to play a league game.

There was a problem with this. Traditionally, overtime periods were never played in the RPI tournament, on the grounds that playing three 60-minute games in three nights was as much as college hockey players should be asked to do. But in order for the RPI - Maine game to count in the ECAC standings, they would have to play overtime if the game were tied after 60 minutes.

It was finally decided that if RPI and Maine were tied at the end of 60 minutes, they would play overtime, but for the purposes of the tournament, the RPI - Maine game would be considered to end at the end of 60 minutes. The overtime would count in the ECAC standings but the championship of the tournament would be decided as if the overtime had never happened.

The rules of the tournament specified that if two teams finished with the same W-L-T record over the three nights, the championship would be decided by most total goals scored. Against Vasby and Holy Cross, two defensively-challenged teams, RPI rang up a total of 22 goals - and Maine scored even more.

This led to the interesting situation where, if the RPI - Maine game had gone to overtime and if RPI had scored in the overtime, it would have been possible for RPI to go 3-0 over the course of three nights and not win the tournament, since Maine would have been declared the tournament champion on the basis of total goals over 180 minutes.

But that didn't happen. Maine beat RPI 5-3 and won the tournament, no questions asked.
                      One thing to add, Maine's goalie Jim Tortorella (sp?) scored a goal against Vasby with Vasby's goalie in the net. I did not know until many years later that this was a first. It has happened since then.

Edit: I spelled it correctly. https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...=1#post5240749
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-28-2019, 03:08 AM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                        Nothing to lose though. We had a very competitive game to open the season with them. UMass will be missing Zac Jones but adds Marc Del Gaizo who was injured for the first matchup, so that's a net zero. However, UMass has Olympic-sized ice and has tons of speed all over the ice, so it plays to their advantage. Despite that, we outplayed them 2/3 periods and could have won if not for a horrible second period. The smaller ice will benefit RPI, and I expect another competitive game. No way that I can actually predict a victory, but like the season opener, it'll be much, much closer than everyone seems to think
                        Don't get me wrong at all. I was just quoting from a very reliable betting source. I think we showed earlier this year that we can match up well with UMass and I am one who really believes in match ups. Especially if our coach can utilize the advantage of having the last change and getting his personnel out there that he wants against the other team at the proper times. There are some teams that for what ever reason, we just match up poorly against and they are just that much tougher for us. I do think as you do that the size of the ice surface is significant. But I am hoping this is a low scoring tight checking game because I do not see us faring well in a high scoring shootout.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

One thing to add, Maine's goalie Jim Tortorella (sp?) scored a goal against Vasby with Vasby's goalie in the net. I did not know until many years later that this was a first. It has happened since then.

Edit: I spelled it correctly. https://board.uscho.com/showthread.p...=1#post5240749
                          We were there for that and to be honest, missed the goal being scored as we were out of our seats talking with friends. I had thought he had scored into an empty net until many years later was informed of the rarity of the feat! Saw a similar thing happen at MSG in the NHL when the Islanders goalie (Billy Smith) scored one against my beloved Rangers while the Ranger Goalie was still on the ice officially but was heading towards the bench for the Rangers to get an extra skater near the end of the game. Officially it counted as being scored at even strength and not with the Ranger goalie pulled as he was still within a few feet of the net.
                          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

We were there for that and to be honest, missed the goal being scored as we were out of our seats talking with friends. I had thought he had scored into an empty net until many years later was informed of the rarity of the feat! Saw a similar thing happen at MSG in the NHL when the Islanders goalie (Billy Smith) scored one against my beloved Rangers while the Ranger Goalie was still on the ice officially but was heading towards the bench for the Rangers to get an extra skater near the end of the game. Officially it counted as being scored at even strength and not with the Ranger goalie pulled as he was still within a few feet of the net.
                            I was not at the game, but I saw it on TV. It was the first goal credited to a goalie in the NHL, and Smith didn't even shoot the puck. The Rangers put it in there own net and Smith was the last Islander to touch it, so he got credit for the goal.
                            Very strange play all around.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

We were there for that and to be honest, missed the goal being scored as we were out of our seats talking with friends. I had thought he had scored into an empty net until many years later was informed of the rarity of the feat!
                              As I wrote in the link from 2011, I was standing behind the end that Tortorella was shooting getting ready to rush to the snack bar. If it happened now, I would probably be in the men's room.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

That's something new I hadn't heard before. Thanks for sharing.
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X