Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    Do they realize that for those of us that actually loved the Christmas Tournament this kind of reminder is a kick in the teeth? Let's send out another one that says, "Did you know that for 100 years RPI had a student run union?"
    Followed by these beauties...

"RPI was once recognized as a successful, competitive D1 hockey program....even shocking the world by winning not one but two national championships." and;

" Until recently, the RPI Pep Band was known and celebrated throughout the college hockey landscape as a shining example of what a pep band can do for a hockey program....when they are actually allowed to play music..."
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      I have read both articles, and as I said in a recent post, I no longer have expectations on recruits. I only hope that they will make us more competitive when they arrive.
      What are we going to do with four goalies next season? Have we given full scholarships to all four?
      I've got to believe that someone is leaving. Does anyone have any insight on next years goalie situation?
      Finally, a game this weekend.
      I have no insights....but would bet a ham sandwich that Marshall will depart in the office season, if not sooner. If he wants to continue playing hockey, why would he stay ?
      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        We miss a lot of things about the good old days of RPI hockey but I think the Tournament ranks as the thing we miss most. It was just a full weekend of hockey regardless of all the teams involved. Sometimes we had top teams and other times it was fairly mediocre. But we got to see teams that otherwise would never had come to Troy whether it be from Canada or the rest of our own country. Could care less if it was held in November or December. I am sure there were reasons given for cancelling but it was a big part of the program and we felt a stake driven through the program with it's demise.
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Do they realize that for those of us that actually loved the Christmas Tournament this kind of reminder is a kick in the teeth? Let's send out another one that says, "Did you know that for 100 years RPI had a student run union?"
          True.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I was just thinking about the tournament last night. My first experience with RPI hockey was the 1973 tournament. Without looking it up I think it was Dartmouth, Ohio State and BU. A kids dream with 6 hours of hockey for 3 straight nights. After that I was hooked and several families had season tickets together up until 2014. A great 40 year run with some great memories. Now, I still go to a few games but it's just not that much fun.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              We miss a lot of things about the good old days of RPI hockey but I think the Tournament ranks as the thing we miss most. It was just a full weekend of hockey regardless of all the teams involved. Sometimes we had top teams and other times it was fairly mediocre. But we got to see teams that otherwise would never had come to Troy whether it be from Canada or the rest of our own country. Could care less if it was held in November or December. I am sure there were reasons given for cancelling but it was a big part of the program and we felt a stake driven through the program with it's demise.
              Does anyone know why the tournament faded away? Was it as simple as failing to find teams with open slots on their schedule? I am sure everyone saw the article on holiday tournaments on the main USCHO page, but it is a poor piece that fails to examine the reasons behind declining holiday tournaments.

Comment

Not looking good according to bettors for Sunday. UMass is a big favorite at 82% to 11% with a predicted score of 4-1 and you just do not often see teams made 3 goal favorites that often.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                  I was just thinking about the tournament last night. My first experience with RPI hockey was the 1973 tournament. Without looking it up I think it was Dartmouth, Ohio State and BU. A kids dream with 6 hours of hockey for 3 straight nights. After that I was hooked and several families had season tickets together up until 2014. A great 40 year run with some great memories. Now, I still go to a few games but it's just not that much fun.
                  I had been to all of them from 1963 on and Jenny joined me from 1975 to they ended it. Always felt it was a huge bargain and almost always made a long weekend out of it arriving a day or two early. A big bonus was when the visiting teams would stay in the same motel (Holiday Inn - later the Rensselaer Inn) and we could meet many of them in the bar for drinks.

Comment

Precisely. Whomever runs PR for the Institute is incredibly tone-deaf.
                    Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Not looking good according to bettors for Sunday. UMass is a big favorite at 82% to 11% with a predicted score of 4-1 and you just do not often see teams made 3 goal favorites that often.
                      "Don't tell me the odds"
                      Han Solo
                      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                      Benjamin Franklin
                      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                        My first live hockey experience was the Western Michigan & Western Ontario tounament - 1979? I was hooked. Now? I guess if I needed to hear the Macarena, I'd love the experience. Blah!
                        Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

I loved the double games in the holiday tourney as a kid growing up. if I remember correctly it was due to rpi didn't have a major sponsor to cover the other teams 3 of them hotel food etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            I have no insights....but would bet a ham sandwich that Marshall will depart in the office season, if not sooner. If he wants to continue playing hockey, why would he stay ?
                            Well I read the Red Army articles. I am not up to speed on the process. Are these guys able to de commit ? If there is a log jam and they can play elsewhere, is there a price to pay? As to the goalie situation, let’s not forget that Savory has not been putting the world on fire with his play. I’d say the goalie situation is very much up in the air and who stays and who goes (if there is somewhere to go) will be dependent on who stands out the rest of the season. In my mind it would have to be a place where they would play and would also depend on where things are for them academically .

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                              Does anyone know why the tournament faded away? Was it as simple as failing to find teams with open slots on their schedule? I am sure everyone saw the article on holiday tournaments on the main USCHO page, but it is a poor piece that fails to examine the reasons behind declining holiday tournaments.
                              My understanding is that it was a combination of factors, but basically that to get good teams, we would have to guarantee them two games in their arena and we, of course, would only play them at most once in ours. This was after it was switched from a round robin to a two-day format. It was completely impossible to get teams willing to play three games. The best thing was to get other teams who also ran tourneys at a different time of year since they might be willing to do a swap.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X