Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
    Hmmm. I wonder if we could use this as a recruiting tool. Get some grade A recruits to come to RPI because we have the best TV in college hockey. Certainly wouldn’t hurt.
    As you said, it can't hurt. I also suspect that it has been mentioned.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Sure is comforting to know we have a few other posters on here old enough to remember the good old days! Bill Sack was a very good goalie. Had one really super year in 63-64 with those 2 consecutive shutouts. We must remember how much harder that was to accomplish back then when high scoring games were the rule. Owen is now in some really good company as all of these guys were great college goalies. Would love to see him progress in the same fashion that Joel Laing did. His stats just seemed to get better each year.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
        Here is an old article about ECAC goalie shutout streaks: https://dailygazette.com/article/200...2/hkcnotes_222. Laing streak mentioned
        Getting a 403 on that link.

But I assume that was written around the time Jordan Alford was on his streak?

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          Sure is comforting to know we have a few other posters on here old enough to remember the good old days! Bill Sack was a very good goalie. Had one really super year in 63-64 with those 2 consecutive shutouts. We must remember how much harder that was to accomplish back then when high scoring games were the rule. Owen is now in some really good company as all of these guys were great college goalies. Would love to see him progress in the same fashion that Joel Laing did. His stats just seemed to get better each year.
          Yes I remember Bill Sack.

Comment

Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post

2/22/08
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

big weekend would like 3 of 4 points.
              on another note monty to maine was rumored on inch podcast

Comment

Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post

Link worked for me just now. Pasting below for those who cannot access. Article is dated February 22, 2008.

When former Union College goalie Trevor Koenig was informed this week that Colgate netminder Mark Dekanich had replaced him as the ECAC Hockey record holder for the longest shutout streak by a goalie, he was stunned, not that he was surpassed, but that he had held the record for 11 years.

“I never even knew that streak still existed,” the 33-year-old

Koenig said in an e-mail from England, where he plays for the Coventry Blaze. “I guess I am surprised it still stood.”

Dekanich broke Koenig’s league record for consecutive scoreless minutes of 198 minutes, 44 seconds, set during the 1996-97 season, in last Saturday’s 8-0 victory over the Dutchmen. Dekanich, who posted his third straight shutout, hasn’t allowed a goal in 212:14.

“I guess it would be nice to see your name up there for a record,” Koenig said, “but as the great Wayne Gretzky said, ‘Records were meant to be broken.’ ”

Koenig’s streak started at 10:26 of the first period after giving up a goal to St. Lawrence’s Derek Ladouceur. He blanked the Saints the rest of the way and led Union to a 2-1 win at Appleton Arena on Feb. 7, 1997.

The Dutchmen returned home the next weekend to play Vermont and Dartmouth. Vermont, which had future NHL MVP Martin St. Louis, couldn’t get any of its 34 shots past Koenig. The Dutchmen won, 2-0.

The next night, Koenig stopped 42 Dartmouth shots in a 2-0 triumph.

Koenig broke the record of 189:48, set by Cornell’s Brian Cropper during the 1969-70 season, against, ironically, the Big Red. The streak ended at 5:10 of the second period when Doug Stienstra scored a power-play goal. The Dutchmen won, 7-1.

“I remember the tremendous roll we were on at the time,” Koenig said. “We had such a good defensive team that year, with Stan Moore coming in as a rookie coach and bringing us all together. He really brought something special and, along with [assistant coaches] ‘Sneds’ [Kevin Sneddon] and ‘Mich’ [John Mich*eletto] helping out on the defensive end, we felt we could have held almost any team scoreless.”

Before Dekanich eclipsed the record, the closest a goalie came to topping Koenig was Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute’s Joel Laing.

Laing had a streak of 175:24 entering a Jan. 16, 1999 game against Union at Achilles [now Messa] Rink. After shutting out Union in the first period, Laing gave up a goal to Jason Ralph at 2:07 of the second period. Laing fell 1:14 short of breaking the record.

Dekanich, who has a team-record six shutouts this season, leads the nation with a .932 save percentage, and is fifth with a 1.88 goals-against average. He was named ECAC goalie of the week.

Dekanich will attempt to extend his streak, which is the seventh longest in NCAA history, this weekend. Colgate plays at Princeton tonight, and at Quinnipiac on Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by puckit717 View Post
                  big weekend would like 3 of 4 points.
                  on another note monty to maine was rumored on inch podcast
                  I don't listen to the INCH podcast; what was the basis for the rumor? Repeating the chatter of Maine fans clamoring for a coaching change? Once Montgomery leaves the treatment program, I would think there would still be NHL head coaching possibilities for him.

Comment

I don't listen to the INCH podcast; what was the basis for the rumor? Repeating the chatter of Maine fans clamoring for a coaching change? Once Montgomery leaves the treatment program, I would think there would still be NHL head coaching possibilities for him.
                    Certainly possible, but there has been no public mention of what the actual incident was that led to his dismissal in Dallas. Its entirely possible that it was an embarrassing or egregious event or they would not have let him go ---they would have gotten him help and stuck with him.

Until a pro team or a school had some clarity on, I would think there would be some trepidation... Regardless, I wish Monty the best in his treatment and very much hope to see him behind the bench again.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

There is no INCH podcast. Did you mean the CHN podcast?

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        My father actually has his goalie stick hanging in his living room. It, along with tons of other RPI Hockey memorabilia from that era, was passed down from my grandfather years ago who operated his barber shop near the Notty Pine. Since then, my dad's been able to secure autographs from Bobby Hull, Adam Oates, the Hanson brothers, a few others from the "60's, '70's teams. Either way, thought I'd share, will snap a pic next time I'm over at his place to post if anyone's interested. LGR!

Comment

Originally posted by ajt6954 View Post
                          My father actually has his goalie stick hanging in his living room. It, along with tons of other RPI Hockey memorabilia from that era, was passed down from my grandfather years ago who operated his barber shop near the Notty Pine. Since then, my dad's been able to secure autographs from Bobby Hull, Adam Oates, the Hanson brothers, a few others from the "60's, '70's teams. Either way, thought I'd share, will snap a pic next time I'm over at his place to post if anyone's interested. LGR!
                          Always interested. I enjoyed the pictures which you posted several years ago, especially the picture of the 65-66 freshman team including Dale Watson and Rick Scammell. (At least I think it was you.)
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                            Certainly possible, but there has been no public mention of what the actual incident was that led to his dismissal in Dallas. Its entirely possible that it was an embarrassing or egregious event or they would not have let him go ---they would have gotten him help and stuck with him.

Until a pro team or a school had some clarity on, I would think there would be some trepidation... Regardless, I wish Monty the best in his treatment and very much hope to see him behind the bench again.
                            I take the man at his word that he had a big problem for which he needed help. The fact that no one would even say what he actually did says to me that the final act was simply the final straw. The real question is: is getting back into the pressure cooker of coaching,regardless of the level, in this man's best interest? His behavior had a major impact on all areas of his life. If he has a big alcohol problem, completing an inpatient program is the start not the end of treatment. And thinking you can resume a stressful life and you have a handle on your problem is shortsighted. I hope he develops a plan that will help him live a long and healthy life. In or out of coaching. Alcoholism is a disease that isn't cured. You learn to live with it. The idea is not to win the battle. It's to win the war.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                              I take the man at his word that he had a big problem for which he needed help. The fact that no one would even say what he actually did says to me that the final act was simply the final straw. The real question is: is getting back into the pressure cooker of coaching,regardless of the level, in this man's best interest? His behavior had a major impact on all areas of his life. If he has a big alcohol problem, completing an inpatient program is the start not the end of treatment. And thinking you can resume a stressful life and you have a handle on your problem is shortsighted. I hope he develops a plan that will help him live a long and healthy life. In or out of coaching. Alcoholism is a disease that isn't cured. You learn to live with it. The idea is not to win the battle. It's to win the war.
                              Well said. Having been a physician who dealt with patient addicts of all types, your take on this is very much on target.

Comment

Originally posted by ajt6954 View Post
                                My prize memorabilia is a stick signed by the entire 1985 team at a celebration dinner. I still have lots of other RPI stuff including the deck of collectible cards produced one year with a player on each one. Jenny has retained several of our more famous players autographs collected over the years she had attended games with me starting in 1975.

Comment

Working...
                                X