Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    The Freds
    And he writes "offsides". https://fanforum.uscho.com/showthrea...=1#post6904769
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
      Even RPI calls them Havard. Or should it be Hahvaard?
      So, neither of the games vs. Havard this year are being played as scheduled.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        What is really nice is that this year, for the first time in a while, we are discussing this so late in the year. This team has surprised many of us. This team has accomplished more than some of us thought. This team could still surprise many more. And this excitement we are feeling is for a team that is still a hair below being at .500! Can you imagine what will happen when we are a team that wins 20+ games per year or dare i say it, actually makes the 16 selected for the NCAA tournament? After following this program since 1963, i actually began to think a few years ago that I would not live long enough to see that happen. Thanks to the boys on this team and thanks to a coach who is getting the most out of what he has my optimism is returning. No, we are not there yet. But the seeds are being planted and I think we may be seeing some pretty decent crop yields soon.
        Thanks Doc. My first RPI hockey was also 1963. Very nice to be thinking about a home ice series win. RPI has only had 1 in at least 14 years.

Comment

FYP

(I do agree with you.)
          You are indeed correct -not one NCAA tournament goal in almost 35 years!!!!
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

I am still concerned about the offense next season. Assuming nothing unexpected, we are only losing Reilly among the defenseman who play regularly, but we are losing a lot of our contributors at forward. Yes, some are returning, but not a large percentage.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I am still concerned about the offense next season. Assuming nothing unexpected, we are only losing Reilly among the defenseman who play regularly, but we are losing a lot of our contributors at forward. Yes, some are returning, but not a large percentage.
              We are probably looking at losing about 50% of our goal scoring. But that means we are retaining about 50% also. Given that many of the freshmen and sophomores have had a bit less ice time, although that 50% number seems high, it is not all that surprising. i would expect a bit more contribution from the fellows who remain for next year and if we get any production from the incoming class, we should be just fine. Of course you never know how recruits will fit into the program, I am pretty sure we will replace some of the 40+ goals lost to graduation. Of course you have a better idea of the possible offensive production in our recruit list having followed them far better than anyone else here. All we would need from them though is about 1 goal per game during the season to come close to what we are losing. I see the glass as half full!! (Vodka Gimlet of course)

Comment

We are probably looking at losing about 50% of our goal scoring. But that means we are retaining about 50% also. Given that many of the freshmen and sophomores have had a bit less ice time, although that 50% number seems high, it is not all that surprising. i would expect a bit more contribution from the fellows who remain for next year and if we get any production from the incoming class, we should be just fine. Of course you never know how recruits will fit into the program, I am pretty sure we will replace some of the 40+ goals lost to graduation. Of course you have a better idea of the possible offensive production in our recruit list having followed them far better than anyone else here. All we would need from them though is about 1 goal per game during the season to come close to what we are losing. I see the glass as half full!! (Vodka Gimlet of course)
                Perhaps I am not used to players contributing more as they progress from freshmen to seniors. That was not that common under SA.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Perhaps I am not used to players contributing more as they progress from freshmen to seniors. That was not that common under SA.
                  One of my biggest concerns at the time. I see more offensive potential in the undergrads now than we have had in years. I leave it to you to analyze the recruits coming in but from your list on the other thread, I see more than enough to make me think we can get a goal a game from the incoming group. I am hopeful that our above average goal tending and the development of our already fairly capable young defense can limit opponents and keep most games competitive if we find a way to score around 3 per game.
                  Many of the ECAC teams we have to play are losing a lot also with the glaring exception of Cornell. Looking over their roster and their recruit list, they will be even pore of a problem to deal with next year.

Comment

One of my biggest concerns at the time. I see more offensive potential in the undergrads now than we have had in years. I leave it to you to analyze the recruits coming in but from your list on the other thread, I see more than enough to make me think we can get a goal a game from the incoming group. I am hopeful that our above average goal tending and the development of our already fairly capable young defense can limit opponents and keep most games competitive if we find a way to score around 3 per game.
                    Many of the ECAC teams we have to play are losing a lot also with the glaring exception of Cornell. Looking over their roster and their recruit list, they will be even pore of a problem to deal with next year.
                    I am not about to look forward to next year, except to say that this years team is built on defense. And next year that defense will be better based on the fact that the forwards have bought into that style of play.
                    Offense from the back end will improve with the likes of Kjellberg, Klee, and Hallbauer. and I don't think that we have seen the best from Ferner on the offensive end.
                    Based on their play this year, I like our returning forwards. There is a lot of potential in this group, and I think we will see a jump (a small one) in our offensive production.
                    I like just about everything that Smith is doing, and look forward to the future of this program under his leadership.
                    As for this year, I am already happy and look forward to some more surprises.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      I am not about to look forward to next year, except to say that this years team is built on defense. And next year that defense will be better based on the fact that the forwards have bought into that style of play.
                      Offense from the back end will improve with the likes of Kjellberg, Klee, and Hallbauer. and I don't think that we have seen the best from Ferner on the offensive end.
                      Based on their play this year, I like our returning forwards. There is a lot of potential in this group, and I think we will see a jump (a small one) in our offensive production.
                      I like just about everything that Smith is doing, and look forward to the future of this program under his leadership.
                      As for this year, I am already happy and look forward to some more surprises.

The team has scored a total of 78 goals this year. Six of your the eight seniors account for 39 goals. Of the 17 forwards/defensemen that are returning 3 have scored more then 5 goals or more this year (one defenseman and two forwards). Haulbauer hasn't produced any offense this year, not in the way he contributed last year. Hopefully its just a sophomore slump. Linden and Ashcroft have just started to produce offensively in last couple of weeks. Dubinsky as well prior to his injury. All three of these forwards though have been playing with seniors with the exception of Ashbrook who also has OV on his line with Gornal. My take is that this team will be strong defensively but short on the offense for next year. Only two forwards in the sophomore class and two freshman are producing any points. The team is losing 6 seniors that are producing. There is only 1 Junior forward and Jerry is not producing any offense. I don't see any offense coming from the remaining sophomore or freshman forwards on this roster. Incoming freshman need assistance to get their feet on the ground so at the least the first semester next year is going to experience a lot of short comings IMO with respect to offense. I think its going to be tough going at goal scoring next season.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                          The team has scored a total of 78 goals this year. Six of your the eight seniors account for 39 goals. Of the 17 forwards/defensemen that are returning 3 have scored more then 5 goals or more this year (one defenseman and two forwards). Haulbauer hasn't produced any offense this year, not in the way he contributed last year. Hopefully its just a sophomore slump. Linden and Ashcroft have just started to produce offensively in last couple of weeks. Dubinsky as well prior to his injury. All three of these forwards though have been playing with seniors with the exception of Ashbrook who also has OV on his line with Gornal. My take is that this team will be strong defensively but short on the offense for next year. Only two forwards in the sophomore class and two freshman are producing any points. The team is losing 6 seniors that are producing. There is only 1 Junior forward and Jerry is not producing any offense. I don't see any offense coming from the remaining sophomore or freshman forwards on this roster. Incoming freshman need assistance to get their feet on the ground so at the least the first semester next year is going to experience a lot of short comings IMO with respect to offense. I think its going to be tough going at goal scoring next season.
                          We are a goalie centric team I believe Savory is the best goalie in the country and kudos to the staff for digging him up alot of people missed on that myself included. Take him away and we're Union and I see no indication that the under classmen in either there junior careers or at RPI so far that hints they will produce offensively it appears the league seems to be a little down this year I'm not sure 79 goals would would have gotten us this far in the past but everybody is dealing with the same set of circumstances and we are where we are I'll take it and hope we have a couple of Savory's hiding in the weeds for the future.
                          What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

We got SD and TN.

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-20-2020, 11:00 PM.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                              I understand your perspective, but it should also be noted that at least 1/2 of those seniors have significantly increased their scoring. Guys like Gornall and Morello have certainly produced beyond what I would have expected when the season started. I think the players have bought into what Smith is teaching and its helped them improve not just season to season but as the season has gone along. Hopefully we'll see a similar progression from our current underclassmen. I don't expect to see an offensive juggernaut next season, but I'm hopefull we'll see a continuation of the grind it out offense that's shown some growth this year.

I'm also wondering about Burgess. He's shown flashes this year of the player we thought we'd have before his devastating knee injury. However, I wonder whether that will be enough for his draft team, Ottawa, to want to use one of their 50 contracts on him. While he can also become a free agent if he doesn't sign before this year's draft, his best chance is probably with the Senators as they are a weak team with roughly 1/2 their signed contracts expiring this summer. Perhaps they will offer him. My guess, however, is that he'll mostly receive ECHL offers. At 24, perhaps he'll decide that a graduate degree has greater long term value than a year in the low minors.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                                I'm also wondering about Burgess. He's shown flashes this year of the player we thought we'd have before his devastating knee injury. However, I wonder whether that will be enough for his draft team, Ottawa, to want to use one of their 50 contracts on him. While he can also become a free agent if he doesn't sign before this year's draft, his best chance is probably with the Senators as they are a weak team with roughly 1/2 their signed contracts expiring this summer. Perhaps they will offer him. My guess, however, is that he'll mostly receive ECHL offers. At 24, perhaps he'll decide that a graduate degree has greater long term value than a year in the low minors.
                                I have had that thought also. Of course he could also get a graduate degree somewhere else, but it is a possibility.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X