Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by jericho View Post
    I said it before and I’ll say it again. Yes, Smith May have had a similar record than Seth, but Dave built the Canisius program from the ground up. To recruit to a place with no built in fan base, rink or resources is tough at any place you go. In just three years RPI is similar to Canisius in the three years prior to Smith’s departure, in an stronger league. Also, I don’t think people were criticizing Smith the man, but the process and the ignored input.
    This is spot on. I've long said that a major part of the criticism surrounding Smith actually had nothing to do with him and that it was unfair to put it on him, but that it naturally meant he had perhaps a shorter leash than most other coaches would have in that position - and that was the administration's fault.

The last two years and the difficulty that a lot of us had in seeing what the road forward looked like was frustrating as well and I was coming into this season needing to see progress being made - and it's clear now that there is some progress being made.

But this tweet from Ken is really insulting, especially after watching the pile-on that frequently happened with Appert early on even when it was more transparent the kind of changes he was trying to bring about. I don't think any criticism that has been leveled has been overly untoward.

And while the team is certainly improving, at least part of the finish this year is being driven by large chunks of the league getting much worse - pushing an improving team up the table. That's not terrible, of course, but it's worth noting that on a macro level, we're still nowhere near the top of the league or nationally competitive. So while I'm very satisfied with the progress that's being made so far, next year is going to be a lot more pressure on the program to continue to move forward.
    Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      That may well be the biggest problem. The program has been in a virtual free fall during the time of her reign.
      I've reached a point where any and all problems that the program has is exclusively on the administration.
      Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

savory was a great find for smith similar to his Canisius goalie.
        the transfers were good finds it seems and apperts seniors have been on fire this year. I enjoy the improvement and wins immensely

Comment

Originally posted by puckit717 View Post
          savory was a great find for smith similar to his Canisius goalie.
          the transfers were good finds it seems and apperts seniors have been on fire this year. I enjoy the improvement and wins immensely
          FWIW, Smith found Charles Williams as a backup goalie at Ferris. He only played for him one year. https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...arles-williams
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
            I've reached a point where any and all problems that the 'Tute has is exclusively on the administration.
            FYP a
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
              And while the team is certainly improving, at least part of the finish this year is being driven by large chunks of the league getting much worse - pushing an improving team up the table. That's not terrible, of course, but it's worth noting that on a macro level, we're still nowhere near the top of the league or nationally competitive. So while I'm very satisfied with the progress that's being made so far, next year is going to be a lot more pressure on the program to continue to move forward.
              This an important point to remember. Yes, it's amazing that we're comfortably in home-ice position and threatening for a bye for the first time in years, but we're still 38th in KRACH and 39th in PWR. If you just pick us up and plop us into Hockey East, we're a bottom-tier team that probably doesn't even make the playoffs. All the team can do is beat the teams that have been put in front of them, and we've certainly achieved that lately, but when thinking on the larger scale of year-over-year progress for the team we have to keep it in mind.
              RPI Pep Band
              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                It's probably time to ask for suggestions for a title to Part III. I certainly hope that we will need one.
                RPI Part III: March toward April? we just May
                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

RPI Part III: March toward April? we just May
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                    This an important point to remember. Yes, it's amazing that we're comfortably in home-ice position and threatening for a bye for the first time in years, but we're still 38th in KRACH and 39th in PWR. If you just pick us up and plop us into Hockey East, we're a bottom-tier team that probably doesn't even make the playoffs. All the team can do is beat the teams that have been put in front of them, and we've certainly achieved that lately, but when thinking on the larger scale of year-over-year progress for the team we have to keep it in mind.
                    Baby steps... I don't think anyone here expects an overnight turnaround given the hole that's been dug.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                      Baby steps... I don't think anyone here expects an overnight turnaround given the hole that's been dug.
                      I suspect that only those of us who have been around for a very long time truly appreciate how deep that hole has been.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        I take it that’s a no, then?
                        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                          Sure, and I'm not saying that I'm not pleased about where we are and the progress that has been made. I'm just saying that we should keep the context of the ECAC's relative lack of strength this year in mind.
                          RPI Pep Band
                          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

I take it that’s a no, then?
                            Well, it loses to Dr D's suggestion.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                              I suspect that only those of us who have been around for a very long time truly appreciate how deep that hole has been.
                              OTOH, the women were in a deep hole, and they are digging it even deeper.

I would have been happy with a first round home series this year. We've gotten that and can still get a bye, or a first-round series win, or more.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                                Well, it loses to Dr D's suggestion.
                                Considering who lost to my earlier suggestion, I am very much honored. But you have to take into account that i am also very much drunk!
                                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Working...
                                X