Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    I am sure there are still some Providence fans around who have a very similar feeling about a game in March 1985. i am fairly sure they felt the officials missed an off sides call that might have changed the game
    The Freds
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
      The Freds
      Very good RB! I must say that we never even remotely thought that play was off sides while we were in Detroit. We still did not think about it after seeing replays on video when we got home. But years later, when attention was called to it, you could make a case for it.
      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Just a note to those on the thread responsible for the new podcast - very well done. Made my trip to Troy go by in a flash! Good job.
        Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

The table keeps getting smaller:
          Code:
             |     3     4     5     6     7     8     9    10
          ----------------------------------------------------
          19 |                 x     x   0.2   4.2   0.1     x
          20 |                 x   0.0   0.8   4.9   0.0      
          21 |               0.1   1.3   9.4  10.6   0.0      
          22 |               0.5   4.0   7.9   3.5     x      
          23 |         0.0   6.6  12.7   6.0   0.6     x      
          24 |     x   0.0   6.3   4.6   0.7   0.0            
          25 |   0.0   0.9   8.9   1.2   0.0   0.0            
          26 |   0.0   0.5   1.8   0.1     x     x            
          27 |   0.2   0.9   0.3     x   
          Bold is the most likely position for each point total.
          0.0 means the outcome occurred, but fewer than 500 times.
          x means the outcome never occurred.
          Blank outcomes are impossible.
          And here's a preview of the potential impact of the upcoming weekend's games:
          Code:
          Chances of a bye (%):
              |      Qu        
          ----|  W |  T |  L |
             W|10.9| 3.4| 1.3|
          Pr T| 3.6| 1.3| 0.1|
             L| 1.4| 0.1|0.02|

Average Rank:
              |      Qu        
          ----|  W |  T |  L |
             W| 5.4| 6.0| 6.4|
          Pr T| 6.0| 6.4| 6.9|
             L| 6.4| 6.9| 7.4|

Most likely first round opponent:
              |      Qu        
          ----|  W |  T |  L |
             W| SL | SL |UnPr|
          Pr T| SL | Un | Br |
             L| Pr | Br | Br |
          Unsurprisingly, winning two games is important for staying up in the standings and potentially earning a bye, but I was a bit surprised to see that beating only Quinnipiac was only marginally more helpful than beating only Princeton.
          RPI Pep Band
          GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
          🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
          2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
          2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Saturday's highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scfVbthi7PA
            Cornell's version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol1jYnp9c3s
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              Very good RB! I must say that we never even remotely thought that play was off sides while we were in Detroit. We still did not think about it after seeing replays on video when we got home. But years later, when attention was called to it, you could make a case for it.
              Trivia question here: is the proper term "offside" or "offsides"? It is my impression that in Canada and most of the US, and in all of the hockey rule books, the term is "offside". But in certain areas of the US Northeast people use the term "offsides". Where did this come from.

Comment

Originally posted by hab View Post
                Trivia question here: is the proper term "offside" or "offsides"? It is my impression that in Canada and most of the US, and in all of the hockey rule books, the term is "offside". But in certain areas of the US Northeast people use the term "offsides". Where did this come from.
                William Safire might have enjoyed playing with this.

Comment

It's "offside". I think the issue comes when people say something like "the play was whistled down for offside", which sounds awkward, so the 's' gets tacked on.
                  RPI Pep Band
                  GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                  🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                  2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                  2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                    The table keeps getting smaller:
                    Code:
                       |     3     4     5     6     7     8     9    10
                    ----------------------------------------------------
                    19 |                 x     x   0.2   4.2   0.1     x
                    20 |                 x   0.0   0.8   4.9   0.0      
                    21 |               0.1   1.3   9.4  10.6   0.0      
                    22 |               0.5   4.0   7.9   3.5     x      
                    23 |         0.0   6.6  12.7   6.0   0.6     x      
                    24 |     x   0.0   6.3   4.6   0.7   0.0            
                    25 |   0.0   0.9   8.9   1.2   0.0   0.0            
                    26 |   0.0   0.5   1.8   0.1     x     x            
                    27 |   0.2   0.9   0.3     x   
                    Bold is the most likely position for each point total.
                    0.0 means the outcome occurred, but fewer than 500 times.
                    x means the outcome never occurred.
                    Blank outcomes are impossible.
                    And here's a preview of the potential impact of the upcoming weekend's games:
                    Code:
                    Chances of a bye (%):
                        |      Qu        
                    ----|  W |  T |  L |
                       W|10.9| 3.4| 1.3|
                    Pr T| 3.6| 1.3| 0.1|
                       L| 1.4| 0.1|0.02|

Average Rank:
                        |      Qu        
                    ----|  W |  T |  L |
                       W| 5.4| 6.0| 6.4|
                    Pr T| 6.0| 6.4| 6.9|
                       L| 6.4| 6.9| 7.4|

Most likely first round opponent:
                        |      Qu        
                    ----|  W |  T |  L |
                       W| SL | SL |UnPr|
                    Pr T| SL | Un | Br |
                       L| Pr | Br | Br |
                    Unsurprisingly, winning two games is important for staying up in the standings and potentially earning a bye, but I was a bit surprised to see that beating only Quinnipiac was only marginally more helpful than beating only Princeton.
                    Thanks for the analysis. my simple mind had though the most important game left was at Dartmouth and that a win there coupled with a win at home against Princeton would be probably enough to insure a 5th or 6th finish. Seems we can actually take care of business this weekend at home. A 3 point weekend would certainly put us in a very good position so that there is a little less pressure for that last road trip.
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                      It's "offside". I think the issue comes when people say something like "the play was whistled down for offside", which sounds awkward, so the 's' gets tacked on.
                      I usually say "offsides" even though I know now that it is wrong. I think that it has to do with being from NYC.

I have an even tougher time trying to remember to use the word "sweater" instead of "jersey".
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Virtually every team loses points it should have gotten (even in 84-85, we lost vs. SLU), and we have also gotten points when we were overmatched.
                        Agreed, and RPI has also benefited from an inconsistent ECAC this year. After strong starts to the season Harvard has only won 3 of its last 12 ECAC games and Dartmouth has won one of its last seven. You normally can't legislate for those types of swoons within a season.

All the remaining games are basically playoff games. Top 4 is possible, but so is 9th. Friday's game is a big test. Quinnipiac has been playing well, and RPI has struggled against them in recent years. I am very happy to have some relevant games to play at the end of the season for the first time in a few years!

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                          We showed a lot of fight and ability tonight in my opinion. The boys should be proud of how they fought back and were the better team for the last 40 minutes of the game against one of the best teams in the country. They should have an easier time with Quinnipiac on Friday, and with the way they played this weekend, I think we can win that
                          I'm a bit more cautious: Good resilience but RPI was still outshot in each period on Saturday night, and Quinnipiac beat Cornell 5-0 two weeks ago.

I don't like to drag the guys--you are right that they never give up--but the last two weeks were fair indicators of where this team is in the larger landscape. When they are not focused, they are completely overmatched against the big teams. I like how RPI doesn't give up, but we just don't have the offense to compensate for those lapses in concentration--That 2 on 1 chance with about 10 minutes left in the game after Cornell failed to clear a blocked shot at the point has *got* to turn into the tying goal, but the crossing pass is slow and slightly behind and it looks like from the replay the shot went wide anyway from 4 feet out. I would like to think that our confidence has been building to take those chances...This weekend would be a perfect time to take the next step forward.

Comment

Considering some in the northeast say "yous guys", I'd say there may be a correlation.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                              I'm a bit more cautious: Good resilience but RPI was still outshot in each period on Saturday night, and Quinnipiac beat Cornell 5-0 two weeks ago.

I don't like to drag the guys--you are right that they never give up--but the last two weeks were fair indicators of where this team is in the larger landscape. When they are not focused, they are completely overmatched against the big teams. I like how RPI doesn't give up, but we just don't have the offense to compensate for those lapses in concentration--That 2 on 1 chance with about 10 minutes left in the game after Cornell failed to clear a blocked shot at the point has *got* to turn into the tying goal, but the crossing pass is slow and slightly behind and it looks like from the replay the shot went wide anyway from 4 feet out. I would like to think that our confidence has been building to take those chances...This weekend would be a perfect time to take the next step forward.
                              What play are you referring too? I don't recall a 2 on 1 in the second period. I do recall one where Jerry waited too long to move the puck to Polino on a 2 on 1 and he then had his pass blocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                                What play are you referring too? I don't recall a 2 on 1 in the second period. I do recall one where Jerry waited too long to move the puck to Polino on a 2 on 1 and he then had his pass blocked.
                                I am referring to the play with 10 minutes left in the third, not the second, which I have cued up here: https://youtu.be/scfVbthi7PA?t=132

It is not a classic 2 on 1, in the sense that it starts in the offensive zone after a blocked shot, but Cornell commits 4 men to the break out and got caught when the puck gets to Ashbrook on the faceoff dot with Gornall in front and one defender in between them. Everything is just a bit off--from the timing, speed, and accuracy of the crossing pass, to the shank on the shot that appears to send it wide anyway--but those are the types of increments that put teams in the bottom 3rd in goals per game and make the difference over the course of the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X