Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
    - Program has had an extended run of mediocrity
    You are a kind-hearted soul. I'm celebrating that we just reached mediocrity (a .500 record in February). How often have we done that in the last 15 years?

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Claiming that RPItv is the problem and suggesting they institute a media blackout policy (a policy that is universally hated by the fans of the sports that have them) is truly wild. I'm pretty sure RPItv never gets much more than 1000 viewers per game (though I could be off here), and a significant portion of those are people who are alumni no longer within driving distance of RPI. I don't see how making the games less accessible is supposed to increase fan support.

Despite how good the broadcast is, I have a hard time believing that anyone is choosing to watch the game on TV (or other screen) rather than going to the game if they're near the HFH.
      RPI Pep Band
      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

• Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
        Claiming that RPItv is the problem and suggesting they institute a media blackout policy (a policy that is universally hated by the fans of the sports that have them) is truly wild. I'm pretty sure RPItv never gets much more than 1000 viewers per game (though I could be off here), and a significant portion of those are people who are alumni no longer within driving distance of RPI. I don't see how making the games less accessible is supposed to increase fan support.

Despite how good the broadcast is, I have a hard time believing that anyone is choosing to watch the game on TV (or other screen) rather than going to the game if they're near the HFH.
        FYI - I chromecast the game to either my 42 or 60 LED tv. Looks better than most NHL broadcasts. I agree hockey is 10x better in person, but if you’re not sold on going in person, this is a fantastic alternative.
        Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
          You are a kind-hearted soul. I'm celebrating that we just reached mediocrity (a .500 record in February). How often have we done that in the last 15 years?
          Lol, I’m masking my rage for the sorry state of affairs.
          Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post

RPI-TV has passed 1000 vs. Cornell. Also, of course, the number is how many computers, etc. are tuned to YouTube. It is certainly possible that more than one person is watching in many cases.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
              I'll defer to DavidNardolillo a proud ex Gopher but this attendance thing is not an RPI problem it's a college hockey problem it is my understanding that they are having issues putting fannie's in the seats at Mariucci that place has been sold out since hockey was invented...What Say You David.
              Yes, I think larger forces are at work here involving competing entertainment options, disposable income, and changes in taste for entertainment. That said, the situation at Minnesota involved some purely local features, e.g. jacking the effective price for already rich tickets (mandatory $250-$500 "donations" to athletic department on top of face value of season tickets) and the involuntary reassignment of some season ticket holders' seats.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                I think the attendance issue is multi-layered:

- more events to compete for the fan’s entertainment budget
                - technology like RPITV makes it easier for folks to watch and stay in touch
                - lack of PR and outreach outside of Troy
                - the game experience is not as engaging, nor unique as it was 5-10 years ago
                - the general feeling towards the Institute is not favorable; for both alums and non-alums.
                I think that is a decent list. As I said before, my bet is that the RPITV impact on HFH attendance is marginal, but would be interested to see what data is collected. I might also add that I think the level of undergraduate student attendance at sporting events has also dropped over the last two decades--an issue that is not unique to RPI or college hockey. People may have also seen that a BU fan tracked attendance versus home records for each team in another thread, but it doesn't always correleate: https://fanforum.uscho.com/showthrea...endance/page12

As a non-alumnus, I have wondered lately whether that last point--the general alumni feeling--is hurting support of RPI events. I don't have an opinion on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  RPI-TV has passed 1000 vs. Cornell. Also, of course, the number is how many computers, etc. are tuned to YouTube. It is certainly possible that more than one person is watching in many cases.
                  Cornell had pretty good representation at that game but it didn't seem to be nearly what it was a decade ago. The number of people doing the stupid newspaper thing (which BTW, I disliked even when I was in grad school there) was barely noticeable. Despite being at the top of the polls it would not surprise me if the free availability of RPITV's high quality broadcast kept a significant number of Big Red fans from making the Friday night trek to Troy. As for our fans, there have been a few times when I considered making the 3 hour drive to Troy and decided to watch the stream instead. However, I've also done that for road games. I see all the games here in CT, but I haven't driven to RI or MA in recent years. ESPN+ is only $4.99 a month so it's hardly an economic disincentive.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                    As a non-alumnus, I have wondered lately whether that last point--the general alumni feeling--is hurting support of RPI events. I don't have an opinion on that one.
                    I do know that there were a few Pep Band alumni, who I would argue are some of the most inclined to go to RPI hockey games in person, refused to go to Freakout! because of the current administration. They still participated in all of the auxiliary band events (pregame dinner, afterparty, etc.), but chose not to attend.
                    RPI Pep Band
                    GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                    🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                    2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                    2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

• Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                      I think the attendance issue is multi-layered:

- more events to compete for the fan’s entertainment budget
                      - technology like RPITV makes it easier for folks to watch and stay in touch
                      - lack of PR and outreach outside of Troy
                      - the game experience is not as engaging, nor unique as it was 5-10 years ago
                      - the general feeling towards the Institute is not favorable; for both alums and non-alums.
                      This is a complicated problem with no easy solution. As long as the product on the ice is not in the top tier and tournament bound, that makes it difficult to engage fans.. so how to get people to come is the question. First off, go after hockey fans: youth hockey teams and such. The Shirley box should be used for every game. If not her and her entourage, then for birthday parties or as a raffle prize or whatever. Also give the games a bigger carnival atmosphere: giveaways, centralize the location of the band, have fan fest stuff, etc. And have after game activities for RPI students: free skating with music (student bands perhaps). There is so much more that could be done. But if we are waiting for a team to bring then into the building by the success on the ice, it won’t happen regularly. I imagine if players being recruited came and saw a great, well attended atmosphere, that would get them to think twice about changing their mind about playing here. Look if the Albany Devils couldn’t bring in the fans even after improving its record, why would RPI? The families near the HFH who used to come for generations have been replaced by the Eddy and renters. Got to get the fans to want to come from further away. Make it worth their time.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                        centralize the location of the band,
                        Wouldn't they get in the way if they were at the center-ice faceoff spot?
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                          Thankyou! I actually went to the BRF & had a good time. Yeah, ATT I was guessing it would be just under 4,000 but know what......they’re .500 in February. Stay home, go to the game, wear your Shirley propaganda FREE T-shirt...... I DON’T CARE. They’re at .500 & if they can go 5-3 they’ll finish the RS above .500.
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                            Believe it or not, it’s more times than you would think. 6 times with the last time being in 2015-16. We reached it 4 times in a 5 year stretch (2010-2014). But in 2014, we lost another playoff series to finish under .500.

Comment

Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post
                              The ECAC claims this and implements as such for the playoffs, yet attendance for those games are poor across the board. Pretty sure this isn't the reason.
                              The attendance at playoff games is usually low because that is when most schools have their spring breaks, and the students are not there. RPI is going to have the same problem this season. No students will be there for the home playoff series except for the diehards

Comment

RIP Eddie Knowles.

Comment

Working...
                                X