Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I have had that thought also. Of course he could also get a graduate degree somewhere else, but it is a possibility.
    If he has the eligibility left, and is looking at a graduate degree elsewhere, does he have to sit out a period of time or not?
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
      I understand your perspective, but it should also be noted that at least 1/2 of those seniors have significantly increased their scoring. Guys like Gornall and Morello have certainly produced beyond what I would have expected when the season started. I think the players have bought into what Smith is teaching and its helped them improve not just season to season but as the season has gone along. Hopefully we'll see a similar progression from our current underclassmen. I don't expect to see an offensive juggernaut next season, but I'm hopefull we'll see a continuation of the grind it out offense that's shown some growth this year.
      This is another way of saying what i posted earlier and of course I am thinking similarly. Looking at losing 40 of our 78 goals scored thus far this season, but with even a modest increase from the 3 classes remaining, just how much do we really need from an entering freshman class? From the careful postings that RB has on the recruit thread it sure looks like we have some offense that we can expect. Plus, there is always the possibility that the incoming class just might be able to contribute faster in a Smith run system than we were used to in the SA system. I appreciate everything our senior class has done, I think we have some really fabulous boys that we are losing at the end of this year. But it is not like we are losing any one that was a dominant goal scorer. it is not that long ago in my memory that we lost a 31 goal scorer (Tapper) or a 30 goal scorer (Healey) that was a significant percentage of our scoring all wrapped up into one boy!
      Goal scoring has come down considerably over the years and it appears the way Coach Smith is constructing his team, we are setting up to be a defensive power for years to come. (Cornell anyone??) I think with the development of Kjellberg, Klee, Fernier, et al that scoring even 2-3 goals per game for us might prove decisive.
      This seasons is not over just yet and hopefully will not be for 5 more weekends (fingers crossed) so we may yet see a bit more of the underclass play and development. But, it sure is becoming fun again to watch this team!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
        We are a goalie centric team I believe Savory is the best goalie in the country and kudos to the staff for digging him up alot of people missed on that myself included. Take him away and we're Union and I see no indication that the under classmen in either there junior careers or at RPI so far that hints they will produce offensively it appears the league seems to be a little down this year I'm not sure 79 goals would would have gotten us this far in the past but everybody is dealing with the same set of circumstances and we are where we are I'll take it and hope we have a couple of Savory's hiding in the weeds for the future.
        I have been saying that Savory has the tools and potential to be a top goalie in the country ever since last year. Glad someone agrees with me! When he is hot, he just has that swagger and can control the entire game. I had hoped we could just provide him with the proper defensive pairings so that he could shine and I believe we are getting there rapidly. The young defense is improving (still some glitches to figure out) but for the first time in years I can see some light appearing in the distance of the tunnel. We have had some wonderful goal tending over the years (I only go back as far as Bill Sack). But if he can stay healthy, Savory will compare well against all of them. I have vivid recollections of Tamburro getting hot in late 1995, Kasdorf being a wall in 2013, York being solid in 2011, the above mentioned Sack in 1964, and of course, the almost unbeatable Laing in 2000. They all seemed to have some things in common and one thing stood out - they just exuded that confidence on the ice and made other teams think twice about if and how to beat them for a goal. Savory has shown flashes of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
          If he has the eligibility left, and is looking at a graduate degree elsewhere, does he have to sit out a period of time or not?
          Not. If he graduates he can go to another D1 school as Melanson and Hayhurst did without sitting out. Of course, I'm hoping that a program on the rise would generate a different decision this time.
          Last edited by rpi82; 02-21-2020, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Weekend Preview: RPI/Union

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/20...-rpiunion.html
            QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
            2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
            2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
            2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
            https://***********/QHockeyBlog
            https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
            https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
              Thanks. Always good to read an evaluation from the other side.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

A 20+ minute video of his visit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9teYugAZBgo

He talks nonstop.
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-21-2020, 12:23 PM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I don't know what this is.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                    Not. If he graduates he can go to another D1 school as Melanson and Hayhurst did without sitting out. Of course, I'm hoping that a program on the rise would generate a different decision this time.
                    Thank you for the insight. Melanson had a very decent year at BU and an NCAA appearance.

Comment

I don't know what this is.

Essentially, what that means RB, is that RPI players will be controlling and posting on the NCAA Ice Hockey instagram account today (i.e. "takeover"). They have posted locker room videos and some other stuff

Comment

I have been saying since the beginning of this season that Burgess can come back for one more year. He has 3 options.

1) He can go pro. If the Senators offer him, I think he takes that, but I don't think they will. He could also sign a PTO with an AHL team or an ECHL deal. The question is if he'd rather return to college or play in the minors without an NHL contract.
                        2) He can come back here. I am sure Smith would love to have him back especially with the number of contributing seniors we are losing. Having him back would give us a very good offensive player for one more season and ease the pain of our departures.
                        3) He can grad transfer. We hope that he would rather return to RPI, but you never know. Arizona State could be very appealing to Burgess if they want him because he could return home and play near his family.

Of course, these options have all been mentioned, but I thought I'd put them all in one post

Comment

Does RPI stream hockey games?! I click on the schedule, it takes me to RPI sports and there are no links to the stream...!? Thanks.

Comment

all of the RPI TV links are dead, take you to replays only...no live streaming. i finally found it, middle of 2nd period....followed a link to instagram, then there was link to Youtube....some boiler room operation that RPI TV...

Comment

• Originally posted by SnowDogFlyer View Post
                              all of the RPI TV links are dead, take you to replays only...no live streaming. i finally found it, middle of 2nd period....followed a link to instagram, then there was link to Youtube....some boiler room operation that RPI TV...
                              LOL. Your concern is not duly noted
                              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

A few changes tonight:

Cornell is in first (32), Clarkson's loss drops them to second (30).

Harvard is now in third (25) with Quinnipiac in fourth (24).

RPI is alone in fifth (21). [Senior Night looms large... big points out there for the taking.]

Dartmouth is now sixth (20), Colgate falls to seventh (19) and Yale is eighth (18).

Brown is ninth (16). [Picking up points weekly.] Union in tenth (12). Princeton is eleventh (8). SLU in twelfth (3).
                                Last edited by fr. joe; 02-21-2020, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X