Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
    This doesn't explain why there would be empty seats in the central sections when they were not available for purchase online. The problem last night were the no-shows who had assigned tickets but did not come. I would be interested in seeing a graph of current student attendance in recent years.
    Season ticket holders who couldn’t get rid of their tickets are still counted
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by jericho View Post
      Season ticket holders who couldn’t get rid of their tickets are still counted
      Are you sure? I don't think they were counting the empty season seats as part of the 3800; there definitely seemed like 3800 in the building.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
        Are you sure? I don't think they were counting the empty season seats as part of the 3800; there definitely seemed like 3800 in the building.
        They count tickets sold as the attendance. Not actual tickets used.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
          They count tickets sold as the attendance. Not actual tickets used.
          I know a lot of teams do this, but I thought 3800 was a legit number for Saturday's game.

Comment

I would like to make one observation on the attendance problem.
            This is the first year that I was not able to make the trip to HFH for a game. Problem with driving at night makes it impossible for me to make the two hour trip.
            If you look at the fans on the town side of the field house, you will see a very old group of people, and they are not being replaced with younger fans.
            Maybe the teams lack of victories over the last few years, or maybe just a lack of interest in hockey in the area.
            We need to appeal to the youth of Troy if we are going to build up the fan base.
            Now that I got that out, can we just enjoy the fact that we had a four point weekend.
            More wins will bring more people to our building.
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
              This is the first year that I was not able to make the trip to HFH for a game. Problem with driving at night makes it impossible for me to make the two hour trip.
              If you look at the fans on the town side of the field house, you will see a very old group of people, and they are not being replaced with younger fans.
              Maybe the teams lack of victories over the last few years, or maybe just a lack of interest in hockey in the area.
              We need to appeal to the youth of Troy if we are going to build up the fan base.
              Now that I got that out, can we just enjoy the fact that we had a four point weekend.
              You are definitely correct that the town side of the HFH is getting older and older. I thought that the major cause of few younger fans has been that most of the young locals have been becoming Union fans recently since they have performed better for the last decade or so. That probably is a factor, but the main cause may be just less interest in hockey in general.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Could not agree more. We used to make the 3+ hour trip every home weekend for years. But the trip has changed. In addition to us getting older which I hate to admit, the traffic here on the Garden State Parkway is ridiculous even at the late hours of the night. And no one obeys any of the rules of the road. Speeding is out of control and passing on the right side is common. We find that we have some sort of close call almost every time we drive there. We still go to Princeton most years but completely stopped the other road trips unless we are staying at our Adirondack house which has also become less frequent. Our house up there allowed us to make the Cornell/Colgate trip and the Clarkson/St. Lawrence trip virtually every year.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  You are definitely correct that the town side of the HFH is getting older and older. I thought that the major cause of few younger fans has been that most of the young locals have been becoming Union fans recently since they have performed better for the last decade or so. That probably is a factor, but the main cause may be just less interest in hockey in general.
                  I'll defer to DavidNardolillo a proud ex Gopher but this attendance thing is not an RPI problem it's a college hockey problem it is my understanding that they are having issues putting fannie's in the seats at Mariucci that place has been sold out since hockey was invented...What Say You David.
                  What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                    I'll defer to DavidNardolillo a proud ex Gopher but this attendance thing is not an RPI problem it's a college hockey problem it is my understanding that they are having issues putting fannie's in the seats at Mariucci that place has been sold out since hockey was invented...What Say You David.
                    It is a problem for sports in general. Even college football has noticed a drop off in fans attending and, perhaps worse, staying for for a full game. Changes in entertainment competition and interests, consumption style (why go when I have a 70 inch view 15 feet away), economics, ticket distribution, etc. are all conspiring against game attendance. The size of Fenway Park used to be considered limiting, but now it is close to the model for seating capacity in new stadiums. Not only has each new version of Yankee Stadium been smaller than its predecessor, but they've further removed seats to create social spaces to encourage attendance. My inbox is full of offers for discounts from pro sports teams and ticket services.

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                      Absolutely true. Anyone who's been to Colgate's beautiful new rink will attest the students don't go to the games . A dedicated but small a group of devoted townies is 90% of the the body count.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Generally you are correct, but judging by my section (7) there IS a new wave of youngsters being indoctrinated. Just among our group of enthusiasts we are fostering the youth movement with nieces, nephews, grand kids, etc. ANd I'm talkig a range of ages.... from the 20's to 3 or 4 yrs. of age. As has been well covered by other posters here, the problem is NOT RPI specific....across the board live attendance is down for sporting events.
                        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                          I know a lot of teams do this, but I thought 3800 was a legit number for Saturday's game.
                          Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                            do you know who to contact re: more band time?
                            This info is absolutely true, several band members have told me that they receive instructions of when they allowed to play. OTherwise we're usually stuck with bad canned music OR Al trying to talk over an ad already running on the jumbotron and succeeding in muddling both messages so that no one pays attention whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
                              The above quote and the one it replies to are probably as good as an explanation as there is for the low HFH attendance. However, no one plain and simple seems to have the genitalia to state one of the real source of the attendance problem. The problem is totally free access to the games via RPI TV. The problem is additionally intensified by how good these productions are and how good the broadcasters are.

No problem what so ever with people like the good doctor availing themselves to these broadcasts for free. They simply do not live within this market. Those people are the reason for having RPI TV to begin with.

However, for people living within a 10, 20 or 30 (take your pick) mile radius of the HFH, RPI TV has become a major problem. It has turned far too many people in to lazy puss belly sausage stuffers (stolen from the late, great coach Hank Stram) who will not get off their duffs and go to the HFH and buy a freaking ticket.

Not a tech person by any stretch of the imagination, nor have any idea what the capabilities of the internet are. However, if possible, something like the old NFL blackout policy (100 miles) needs to be instituted ASAP. Simply, if your IP address is within a determined distance of the HFH, you either pay RPI TV for the feed or you are blacked out. If you pay, fine. If you don't, you are blacked out and have no other choice but to go to HFH and buy a ticket. Make the fee high enough and soon you see will more people getting off their cabooses and choosing to show up rather than watching it on a screen. Either way, money comes RPI's way.
                              The ECAC claims this and implements as such for the playoffs, yet attendance for those games are poor across the board. Pretty sure this isn't the reason.

Comment

I think the attendance issue is multi-layered:

- more events to compete for the fan’s entertainment budget
                                - technology like RPITV makes it easier for folks to watch and stay in touch
                                - Program has had an extended run of mediocrity
                                - lack of PR and outreach outside of Troy
                                - the game experience is not as engaging, nor unique as it was 5-10 years ago
                                - the general feeling towards the Institute is not favorable; for both alums and non-alums.
                                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Working...
                                X