Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I watched that game in bar in Georgetown along with other RPI and UVM alums. My only memory is that a lot of good looking, but tall, women attended Vermont.
    What’s tall to you though, like Wizard of Oz munchkin height or Oompa Loompa height?
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
      I listened to both games over the weekend. It came as no surprise to me they lost to Yale. But one thing caught my attention. All the talk of Savory and how good he is and chasing the record and all. Why, over the last three weekends and the three wins he got, was he the starter against the lesser ranked team each weekend? St. Lawrence, Colgate, and Brown. Not in net against Cornell, Clarkson, or Yale. I doubt that is a coincidence. And while you want standings points, wouldn't beating teams above you be a desirable thing? If Marshall or Calvaruso could have beat Brown or Colgate or St. Lawrence, wouldn't it have been preferable to throw your hot goalie at the better teams? So, who plays against Union now? A team that will be very, very hungry for a win. A non standings game. My guess? Marshall.
      He might have been wanting to get Savory hot against the weaker competition since he started the year in a funk for most of the first half. For the record, I think he gets the Mayor's Cup start because of his shutout there last year.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
        I listened to both games over the weekend. It came as no surprise to me they lost to Yale. But one thing caught my attention. All the talk of Savory and how good he is and chasing the record and all. Why, over the last three weekends and the three wins he got, was he the starter against the lesser ranked team each weekend? St. Lawrence, Colgate, and Brown. Not in net against Cornell, Clarkson, or Yale. I doubt that is a coincidence. And while you want standings points, wouldn't beating teams above you be a desirable thing? If Marshall or Calvaruso could have beat Brown or Colgate or St. Lawrence, wouldn't it have been preferable to throw your hot goalie at the better teams? So, who plays against Union now? A team that will be very, very hungry for a win. A non standings game. My guess? Marshall.
        In order to beat higher competition, all 20 players must contribute (the 19 skaters, plus the goalie out there). Savory's a solid goaltender, but how many breakaways were given up in those games that he had to bail us out on? Were the skaters still depending on the goalie? Do they play better when they don't have as strong of a last line of defense?

Many people talk about how a hot goaltender can carry a team in the present. But that results in the aforementioned complacency, and potential for a really bad drop-off in the future. It seems an odd bit of reverse psychology, but you have to make sure the skaters are well prepared for when you no longer have that outstanding backstop. Look at how we dropped off in 2011-12 after York signed and the goalie situation was in a bit of "limbo", 2013-14 after Kasdorf was injured we were at least able to pull close to 500 (much of which we can attribute to Haggerty, Higgs, and Zalewski), but look at how we dropped off after that when we found Kasdorf just wasn't the same. And it was just a downward spiral from there.

I commend Coach Smith on this strategy. Show the team the importance of everyone's contribution in the tough games, and nicely enough one of those saw a win; that's nice, you can use that as a benchmark of saying, "This works." Use the "weaker opponent games" to see if the team has learned anything. I'd say they didn't, so we need to take away the safety net again. I'm sure we all are saddened that Savory won't be getting as much of the further experience to potentially propel him to the professional level upon graduation, but I think everyone who looks at the program as a whole recognizes that he isn't the issue here, and Coach Smith needs to look long term for the welfare of the RPI program, whether he's here as a rebuilding coach or going to have an extended career with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          DrD was there.

I was nervous and I watched it on ESPN the day after it was played. I figured that maybe I had not heard the result correctly.
          Jenny and I were indeed there and clearly inebriated much of the time. Lost our voices in the Semi Final so could hardly utter a cheer against Providence. Fate was with us both nights. Easily could have lost either game.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by NPC19850330 View Post
            In order to beat higher competition, all 20 players must contribute (the 19 skaters, plus the goalie out there). Savory's a solid goaltender, but how many breakaways were given up in those games that he had to bail us out on? Were the skaters still depending on the goalie? Do they play better when they don't have as strong of a last line of defense?

Many people talk about how a hot goaltender can carry a team in the present. But that results in the aforementioned complacency, and potential for a really bad drop-off in the future. It seems an odd bit of reverse psychology, but you have to make sure the skaters are well prepared for when you no longer have that outstanding backstop. Look at how we dropped off in 2011-12 after York signed and the goalie situation was in a bit of "limbo", 2013-14 after Kasdorf was injured we were at least able to pull close to 500 (much of which we can attribute to Haggerty, Higgs, and Zalewski), but look at how we dropped off after that when we found Kasdorf just wasn't the same. And it was just a downward spiral from there.

I commend Coach Smith on this strategy. Show the team the importance of everyone's contribution in the tough games, and nicely enough one of those saw a win; that's nice, you can use that as a benchmark of saying, "This works." Use the "weaker opponent games" to see if the team has learned anything. I'd say they didn't, so we need to take away the safety net again. I'm sure we all are saddened that Savory won't be getting as much of the further experience to potentially propel him to the professional level upon graduation, but I think everyone who looks at the program as a whole recognizes that he isn't the issue here, and Coach Smith needs to look long term for the welfare of the RPI program, whether he's here as a rebuilding coach or going to have an extended career with us.
            That’s a load of crap. The players play hard regardless whose behind them. You go with the hot hand no matter the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              Jenny and I were indeed there and clearly inebriated much of the time. Lost our voices in the Semi Final so could hardly utter a cheer against Providence. Fate was with us both nights. Easily could have lost either game.
              I definitely agree with you on the Minnesota-Duluth game. I never really felt that way in the Providence game. I just thought that if we could get 2 or 3 pucks past Terreri (and as it turned out, 2 was enough), I had enough faith in Puppa that he was going to come up big in what was going to be a low scoring game. If I remember I think my voice was a little lower than the night before and I wasn’t inebriated...

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                I definitely agree with you on the Minnesota-Duluth game. I never really felt that way in the Providence game. I just thought that if we could get 2 or 3 pucks past Terreri (and as it turned out, 2 was enough), I had enough faith in Puppa that he was going to come up big in what was going to be a low scoring game. If I remember I think my voice was a little lower than the night before and I wasn’t inebriated...
                if you recall it took some absolutely great work by a very poised RPI defense to keep that MD game within one goal late in regulation so that we could tie it up. Hammond was brilliant. Still feel the penalty call in OT to MD allowed us the chance to win and give us credit, we took it an Carter put it in and we won. With Terreri standing on his head all weekend i was just never sure we could get any past him. After all Jenny and I lived through the previous year in the HFH and saw what i still feel was one of the greatest displays by a goaltender to defeat us in that two game set against North Dakota. Jon Casey played two superb games and we just were afraid that Chris Terreri could do the same to us.

Comment

if you recall it took some absolutely great work by a very poised RPI defense to keep that MD game within one goal late in regulation so that we could tie it up. Hammond was brilliant. Still feel the penalty call in OT to MD allowed us the chance to win and give us credit, we took it an Carter put it in and we won. With Terreri standing on his head all weekend i was just never sure we could get any past him. After all Jenny and I lived through the previous year in the HFH and saw what i still feel was one of the greatest displays by a goaltender to defeat us in that two game set against North Dakota. Jon Casey played two superb games and we just were afraid that Chris Terreri could do the same to us.
                  Absolutely right on all those comments Doc. First of all, Hammond and his defense partner Tim Friday were able to keep UMD from expanding on their one goal lead and then Hammond snuck in from the point to tie the game up just as Addesa was pulling Puppa. If you remember how the penalties were called at the end of the second OT, there was 2 minutes of 3 on 3, 2 minutes of 4 on 4, and finally the 5 on 4 PP, which RPI was basically waiting for setting up Carter’s game winner. I think they learned something losing to Casey and UND the previous year and were just a team of destiny in ‘85. I just wonder if they had lost in Detroit that year, would Puppa, Oates and Servinis have returned for another season?

Comment

Originally posted by Noresmen View Post
                    That’s a load of crap. The players play hard regardless whose behind them. You go with the hot hand no matter the situation.
                    It has nothing to do with playing hard. It is all about focus. Coaches pull goalies to get the attention of the team. Not because the goalies are terrible.
                    I have seen goalies give up 3 or four goals in the first period and none of the goals could be stopped by the goalie, but he gets pulled to get the team back in the game.
                    The team doesn't come out flat because they don't want to play. They are human and sometimes you just lose focus.
                    This team is growing with each game. They will have some let downs, but they are playing a better style and they still need to work on it.
                    When Hallbauer and Kjellberg learn to pass the puck to their teammates The goalies will be a lot happier. I think that both of those players are going to be stars for this team, but they have to cut out the no look passes.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      It has nothing to do with playing hard. It is all about focus. Coaches pull goalies to get the attention of the team. Not because the goalies are terrible.
                      I have seen goalies give up 3 or four goals in the first period and none of the goals could be stopped by the goalie, but he gets pulled to get the team back in the game.
                      The team doesn't come out flat because they don't want to play. They are human and sometimes you just lose focus.
                      This team is growing with each game. They will have some let downs, but they are playing a better style and they still need to work on it.
                      When Hallbauer and Kjellberg learn to pass the puck to their teammates The goalies will be a lot happier. I think that both of those players are going to be stars for this team, but they have to cut out the no look passes.

Well said EHF. They were due a clunker like we saw on Saturday. On the whole, the team looks better than October, better than 18 months ago. Need to keep moving forward.
                      Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Interesting Doc, the 14 year-old version of myself was out of my mind for the UMD game, but during the final, never felt that panic as during the UMD game, or resignation during the UND series. In fact, I still maintain to this day, Daren let that one goal in to keep the team on it's toes...
                        Last edited by ServinisScores; 01-20-2020, 09:43 AM.
                        Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                          Absolutely right on all those comments Doc. First of all, Hammond and his defense partner Tim Friday were able to keep UMD from expanding on their one goal lead and then Hammond snuck in from the point to tie the game up just as Addesa was pulling Puppa. If you remember how the penalties were called at the end of the second OT, there was 2 minutes of 3 on 3, 2 minutes of 4 on 4, and finally the 5 on 4 PP, which RPI was basically waiting for setting up Carter’s game winner. I think they learned something losing to Casey and UND the previous year and were just a team of destiny in ‘85. I just wonder if they had lost in Detroit that year, would Puppa, Oates and Servinis have returned for another season?
                          I had felt that if we did not score during that string of penalties, we would never win the game. I agree with all of what you said. i think for sure 1984 was the reason the 1985 team w s able to keep their poise and do what ever it took to win it all. i maintain though that i have never seen a better offensive team than the one we put on the ice for 1984. I really think if not for that remarkable set of games in Troy by Casey, we would have won back to back titles. Your mention of 85 being a team of destiny, I felt a little bit like that at Lake Placid in 1995. We most certainly were not the best team there and were ranked i think at #6 seed overall going in. never thought we could get by Colgate to the final and if not for the big upset by Princeton to also reach the final, thought we had little or no chance. Sometimes it is just meant to happen!

Comment

• Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                            Well said EHF. They were due a clunker like we saw on Saturday. On the whole, the team looks better than October, better than 18 months ago. Need to keep moving forward.
                            giving how we play (team) defense and the amount of Grade A chances we give up in a game not to mention breakaways and partial breakaways can anyone make a case that our best chance of winning is with Savory as the #1 as long as he's healthy I'm open to be persuaded
                            What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I was looking through some old history and had a question. What happened with Buddy Powers? He only had one losing season in his 5 years, and they had 19+ wins in 4/5 of his seasons. I find it hard to believe he would have been let go with that.

Comment

I missed a day. I spent a night in a hospital. I fainted early yeasterday. They concluded that I was dehydrated.

Must catch up on recruit posts.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X