Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
    Not sure I buy the complaints about marketing from the perspective of ticket sales. I attempted to find extra Freakout! tickets on Wednesday and Thursday online, and there was very little supply, except in the western corners with the obstructed views. I think you had some no-shows, which is a separate issue. I thought the energy in the building was fine on Saturday, given that it was a 1-0 game.

The giveaways have been lousy for a while, except for the 40th anniversary touque. Surely, they could get something better, like a baseball cap. Even cheap t-shirts would be fine.
    Didn't you get your free t-shirt promoting Shirley's capital campaign? They were giving them out by the door (at least on the Troy side).

Comment

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
      Didn't you get your free t-shirt promoting Shirley's capital campaign? They were giving them out by the door (at least on the Troy side).
      I showed up right when the doors opened, so they might not have been in position. There were also a phalanx of kids handing out the giveaway, which I had no interest in, so I might have missed them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
        Harvard has undoubtedly been working hard to get ready for its annual visit to the Beanpot consolation game (22 out of the last 25 years).
        Snap!

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
          Not sure I buy the complaints about marketing from the perspective of ticket sales. I attempted to find extra Freakout! tickets on Wednesday and Thursday online, and there was very little supply, except in the western corners with the obstructed views. I think you had some no-shows, which is a separate issue. I thought the energy in the building was fine on Saturday, given that it was a 1-0 game.

The giveaways have been lousy for a while, except for the 40th anniversary touque. Surely, they could get something better, like a baseball cap. Even cheap t-shirts would be fine.
          The other thing I would say about attendance, is that if you travel to watch RPI play, most of the other schools in the ECAC often have poor crowds. RPI could certainly do some things better, but there are some larger forces in play.

Comment

I do not think we played all that well last night, but a win is a win. Savory is undoubtedly the ECAC Goalie of the Week and ECAC Goalie of the Month. Even a split against WMU would be good and keep our confidence high.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Puckman View Post
              I was happy to see a big band last night. I don't think it has been this big for the BRF in many years. I would love to have a big band like this every home game. I also have to say that the BRF is not marketed well at all in the area. The giveaway was a little disappointing as well this year in my opinion.
              Your recollection is incorrect regarding how big it was for this year compared to previous years, but yes, the BRF! band is always huge. That's what happens when it's supplemented by alumni and all of the student members who flake out the majority of the season.

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
              The really good news was that the amount of piped in music was lower this weekend giving the band more opportunities to play. Guess the amount of complaints got back to the staff at HFH.
              This is mostly because the pep band officers fought to get extra playing time specifically because alumni were there. I doubt the changes will persist in future weekends.
              Last edited by lugnut92; 02-02-2020, 12:00 PM.
              RPI Pep Band
              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut92 View Post
                Your recollection is incorrect regarding how big it was for this year compared to previous years, but yes, the BRF! band is always huge. That's what happens when it's supplemented by alumni and all of the student members who flake out the majority of the season.

This is mostly because the pep band officers fought to get extra playing time specifically because alumni were there. I doubt the changes will persist in future weekends.
                do you know who to contact re: more band time?
                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                  I do not think we played all that well last night, but a win is a win. Savory is undoubtedly the ECAC Goalie of the Week and ECAC Goalie of the Month. Even a split against WMU would be good and keep our confidence high.
                  Savory was solid again, although I thought RPI was better defensively overall and significantly cut down on the number of dangerous chances it usually gifts to the other team (I think the shot totals were inflated both nights--a few that were blocked by skaters were counted in the totals). Quinnipiac's goaltender will have a claim for the weekly award after shutting out Cornell. Although he only saw 20 shots, several chances were uncontested point-blank shots and a couple of his saves were spectacular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ymxYmvMg8

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

The website doesnt open up the tickets in section 13 or 14 and behind the curtains. Attendance for BRF of 3806 is horrendous and an all time low.

Comment

Probably a silly idea coming from me but perhaps they should try to make one weekend a total Big Red Freakout weekend for both games?? Perhaps the home weekend against Yale and Brown (usually not well attended) or the one against Princeton and Quinnipiac (also sparsely attended). Would have suggested Harvard and Dartmouth but lately we rarely seem them both together as we make adjustments so Harvard can attend the BeanPot.
                      Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                        The website doesnt open up the tickets in section 13 or 14 and behind the curtains. Attendance for BRF of 3806 is horrendous and an all time low.
                        Certainly appeared that way on TV. Never saw so many empty seats especially in choice locations near center ice.
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                          Probably a silly idea coming from me but perhaps they should try to make one weekend a total Big Red Freakout weekend for both games?? Perhaps the home weekend against Yale and Brown (usually not well attended) or the one against Princeton and Quinnipiac (also sparsely attended). Would have suggested Harvard and Dartmouth but lately we rarely seem them both together as we make adjustments so Harvard can attend the BeanPot.
                          Next year, Union will be the one to move their game vs. Harvard.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            Certainly appeared that way on TV. Never saw so many empty seats especially in choice locations near center ice.
                            The above quote and the one it replies to are probably as good as an explanation as there is for the low HFH attendance. However, no one plain and simple seems to have the genitalia to state one of the real source of the attendance problem. The problem is totally free access to the games via RPI TV. The problem is additionally intensified by how good these productions are and how good the broadcasters are.

No problem what so ever with people like the good doctor availing themselves to these broadcasts for free. They simply do not live within this market. Those people are the reason for having RPI TV to begin with.

However, for people living within a 10, 20 or 30 (take your pick) mile radius of the HFH, RPI TV has become a major problem. It has turned far too many people in to lazy puss belly sausage stuffers (stolen from the late, great coach Hank Stram) who will not get off their duffs and go to the HFH and buy a freaking ticket.

Not a tech person by any stretch of the imagination, nor have any idea what the capabilities of the internet are. However, if possible, something like the old NFL blackout policy (100 miles) needs to be instituted ASAP. Simply, if your IP address is within a determined distance of the HFH, you either pay RPI TV for the feed or you are blacked out. If you pay, fine. If you don't, you are blacked out and have no other choice but to go to HFH and buy a ticket. Make the fee high enough and soon you see will more people getting off their cabooses and choosing to show up rather than watching it on a screen. Either way, money comes RPI's way.

Comment

Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
                              The problem is totally free access to the games via RPI TV. The problem is additionally intensified by how good these productions are and how good the broadcasters are.
                              I don't know what the viewership stats are for RPITV, but I would be surprised if this significantly affected attendance by local fans. I would have guessed that RPI fans who no longer go to HFH are not watching RPI at all.

Comment

Originally posted by johnk View Post
                                This doesn't explain why there would be empty seats in the central sections when they were not available for purchase online. The problem last night were the no-shows who had assigned tickets but did not come. I would be interested in seeing a graph of current student attendance in recent years.

Comment

Working...
                                X