Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
    I was looking through some old history and had a question. What happened with Buddy Powers? He only had one losing season in his 5 years, and they had 19+ wins in 4/5 of his seasons. I find it hard to believe he would have been let go with that.
    I'm pretty sure that RPI didn't fire Powers. In his final season as the Engineers' head coach, he took the team to the NCAA tournament.

Powers had previously been an assistant under Jerry York at Bowling Green. When York left Bowling Green to take the job at Boston College, BGSU offered the job to Powers.

Powers knew that he would be inheriting a good team from York, but he also knew that he had some good players coming back if he stayed at RPI (and in fact, the team did return to the NCAA tournament the following season under Dan Fridgen). It must have been a tough choice for him.

I have a hazy recollection that the deciding factor was that Powers' wife decided she liked it better in Bowling Green than in Troy, and she prevailed upon him to make the switch.

Anyone else remember it that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
      I'm pretty sure that RPI didn't fire Powers. In his final season as the Engineers' head coach, he took the team to the NCAA tournament.

Powers had previously been an assistant under Jerry York at Bowling Green. When York left Bowling Green to take the job at Boston College, BGSU offered the job to Powers.

Powers knew that he would be inheriting a good team from York, but he also knew that he had some good players coming back if he stayed at RPI (and in fact, the team did return to the NCAA tournament the following season under Dan Fridgen). It must have been a tough choice for him.

I have a hazy recollection that the deciding factor was that Powers' wife decided she liked it better in Bowling Green than in Troy, and she prevailed upon him to make the switch.

Yes, I remember that the final word was his wife.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Yes, I remember that the final word was his wife.
        For most guys, that is the final word! i am fortunate in that I am the king of the castle, master of the domain, lord of the manor. (And please do not let Jenny see this) or i will have to sleep with one eye open and have the cat taste all of my food!)
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by sezenack View Post
          I'm going to go a step ahead of you DrD. The entire backend should be set for another 2 seasons at the least. Babichuk is an elite puck mover and skater, and he will be a stud for another 3 years. Hallbauer is smooth, has great hands, is outstanding at protecting the puck when in possession and has a great release to boot. I am baffled that he has not had that much production this year. Kjellberg is outstanding all-around; I just wish he was a bit faster, but he's a great player. Klee is good in his own end as a stay-at-home defenseman and uses his size and strength well against the boards. Jake Johnson seems to be a forgotten man in this group, but he is good both ways. He is another one that does not have the same production this year as last year, but with our much improved depth, he is playing on the third pairing when he was on the top pairing with Reilly last season. Last but certainly not least, Brady Ferner is our most underrated defenseman. He is elite in his own end. i seem to be able to count at least 2 great defensive plays every game to prevent a scoring chance for the opposition. He has high IQ and does not make mental mistakes. This year he has added more of an offensive element to his game. He is just so solid even if he's not flashy. All of these players are here for at least 2 more seasons, 3 sophomores and 3 freshmen. The fact that Savory is also a sophomore is just icing on the cake. Our defense should be a big strength in the next 2+ years.
          Hope this is all spot on. I remember the years before the great mid 80's team and they were not indicative of what was to come. But rather suddenly our defense became stocked with the baby bulls and we were starting to see something brewing. i have always maintained that offense is easy and defense is the key to winning. Once our defense was set, the sudden influx of offense (along with what we had already started with) just turned this team into the Beast of the East. The entire forward group solidified once the defense became the rock under them. With Dark, Hammond, Friday, Robinson et. al., on the back line, and some really good goaltending, the offense could focus on scoring and they simply became a machine. Hockey is indeed a team sport and all 21 players on the ice have to contribute but it most often starts with the defense.
          I see what you are seeing. I see a group of young defensemen who only need to come together a bit more and hone some skills. I see some really good goaltending. now what is missing is that fierce group of scorers up front. A varied group like we had back then (some size, some snipers, some little buzz bombs) is all that will be standing between mediocrity and some big success). I am not expecting the total fit that coach Addesa was able to put together, but one can only hope we can get close to that with some of the recruits Ralph has listed for us.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
            Hope this is all spot on. I remember the years before the great mid 80's team and they were not indicative of what was to come. But rather suddenly our defense became stocked with the baby bulls and we were starting to see something brewing. i have always maintained that offense is easy and defense is the key to winning. Once our defense was set, the sudden influx of offense (along with what we had already started with) just turned this team into the Beast of the East. The entire forward group solidified once the defense became the rock under them. With Dark, Hammond, Friday, Robinson et. al., on the back line, and some really good goaltending, the offense could focus on scoring and they simply became a machine. Hockey is indeed a team sport and all 21 players on the ice have to contribute but it most often starts with the defense.
            I see what you are seeing. I see a group of young defensemen who only need to come together a bit more and hone some skills. I see some really good goaltending. now what is missing is that fierce group of scorers up front. A varied group like we had back then (some size, some snipers, some little buzz bombs) is all that will be standing between mediocrity and some big success). I am not expecting the total fit that coach Addesa was able to put together, but one can only hope we can get close to that with some of the recruits Ralph has listed for us.
            Weren't the Baby Bulls the ones who came in 1985 to replace the losses after the championship?
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

Sounds about right. his wife and opportunity to follow a legend in the making at his "coaching" Alma Mater, especially since he figured out he'd never displace Jack at BU.
              Last edited by ServinisScores; 01-21-2020, 10:09 AM.
              Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

not to nitpick how the 84-85 team arrived but....

- the offense arrived and solidified way before the defense matured IMO. Mike Dark arrived with Carter, Oates, George, etc. and was an upgrade on the right side to play w/ Hammer.
                - Daren and Brian showed up the year after the breakout year, along w/ the Smurfs who brought speed and defense - this really brought the team defense into focus, not vice-versa.
                - Bob DiPronio and John Tiano were underrated additions and provided some oomph to get over the line.

Ralph - glad you're feeling better, or at least awake Keep the feints to the bike lane please.
                Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  My doctor will have the final say. I am stopping the HCTZ for the week and monitoring my BP. HCTZ was added to Ramipril which did not work by itself. The combination has worked well. I have never been told about potassium. My doctor made me try the HCTZ by itself also for a month and that didn't work.

Dehydration could also have been caused possibly by having a cold currently.

A nice feint can get the defense out of position.
                  I am also on HCTZ and Lisinopril and recently got over a bad cold. There were times when I was lying on the couch and would get orthostatic when I stood up. I never passed out, just very brief dizziness. This also happened during the summer when I would lie outside in a hot day. I checked my blood pressure and my pulse and nothing really changed. So I suspected dehydration as my cold is over and it stopped. Be careful with electrolyte replacement if your kidney function isn’t the best. And always when changing position sit for a minute before you stand to make sure you are ok before you walk away from a chair or the bed.

Comment

• Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                    Sounds about right. his wife and opportunity to follow a legend in the making at his "coaching" Alma Mater, especially since he figured out he'd never displace Jack at BU.
                    Powers got fired at BGSU and went on to become an assistant to Jack Parker at BU. A few years back, not sure if it was when Quinn or Lowell took over, he became a Dallas Stars scout. Always liked him.

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                      I'm going to go a step ahead of you DrD. The entire backend should be set for another 2 seasons at the least. Babichuk is an elite puck mover and skater, and he will be a stud for another 3 years. Hallbauer is smooth, has great hands, is outstanding at protecting the puck when in possession and has a great release to boot. I am baffled that he has not had that much production this year. Kjellberg is outstanding all-around; I just wish he was a bit faster, but he's a great player. Klee is good in his own end as a stay-at-home defenseman and uses his size and strength well against the boards. Jake Johnson seems to be a forgotten man in this group, but he is good both ways. He is another one that does not have the same production this year as last year, but with our much improved depth, he is playing on the third pairing when he was on the top pairing with Reilly last season. Last but certainly not least, Brady Ferner is our most underrated defenseman. He is elite in his own end. i seem to be able to count at least 2 great defensive plays every game to prevent a scoring chance for the opposition. He has high IQ and does not make mental mistakes. This year he has added more of an offensive element to his game. He is just so solid even if he's not flashy. All of these players are here for at least 2 more seasons, 3 sophomores and 3 freshmen. The fact that Savory is also a sophomore is just icing on the cake. Our defense should be a big strength in the next 2+ years.
                      Jeesh that sounds like an assessment of the 1983-1990 Edmonton Oilers not a 10 win sub .500 team but hey I hope you right.
                      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Weren't the Baby Bulls the ones who came in 1985 to replace the losses after the championship?
                        So exactly who were the Baby Bulls? I'm going to assume that G. Townsend was one of them; I can remember him coming down the stairs at BARH and having to move aside to let that huge mass of muscle pass me, circa 1988.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                          not to nitpick how the 84-85 team arrived but....

- the offense arrived and solidified way before the defense matured IMO. Mike Dark arrived with Carter, Oates, George, etc. and was an upgrade on the right side to play w/ Hammer.
                          - Daren and Brian showed up the year after the breakout year, along w/ the Smurfs who brought speed and defense - this really brought the team defense into focus, not vice-versa.
                          - Bob DiPronio and John Tiano were underrated additions and provided some oomph to get over the line.

Ralph - glad you're feeling better, or at least awake Keep the feints to the bike lane please.
                          We couldn't have known it at the time, but the start of the turn around came during my senior year (1981-1982), one of the worst seasons we've had in the last 50 years. But IIRC it was also our first with scholarships. Mike Addesa brought in Tim Friday, Pierre Langevin and Ken Hammond (plus Sadeghpour up front). Those three, along with Dark and Robinson coming in over the next two seasons, formed the heart of the defense through the championship season. The next season Addesa brought in the super class on offense (Oates, Servinis, Carter, Jooris, et al) and the anchors were in place. As the Poly hockey reporter I remember wandering through the lobby of the Midtown Hotel in Boston and seeing the coaches clustered in a corner with a young man and his family. I was told they were closing the deal with a recruit that I'm fairly sure was John Carter. This was in the days before Twitter announcements of commitments and the daily Baer recruiting reports so I was completely unaware that what I saw was far more important than the loss to Boston College the following night.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                            We couldn't have known it at the time, but the start of the turn around came during my senior year (1981-1982), one of the worst seasons we've had in the last 50 years. But IIRC it was also our first with scholarships. Mike Addesa brought in Tim Friday, Pierre Langevin and Ken Hammond (plus Sadeghpour up front). Those three, along with Dark and Robinson coming in over the next two seasons, formed the heart of the defense through the championship season. The next season Addesa brought in the super class on offense (Oates, Servinis, Carter, Jooris, et al) and the anchors were in place. As the Poly hockey reporter I remember wandering through the lobby of the Midtown Hotel in Boston and seeing the coaches clustered in a corner with a young man and his family. I was told they were closing the deal with a recruit that I'm fairly sure was John Carter. This was in the days before Twitter announcements of commitments and the daily Baer recruiting reports so I was completely unaware that what I saw was far more important than the loss to Boston College the following night.
                            Not to doubt anyone else's recollection but how you wrote this is how I remember it. If you had told me in 1981 that we were going to see the team we saw in 83-84 and 84-85 i would have bet the house against it. It all just happened so rapidly! now let's see if lightning can strike again.

Often overlooked is the contribution of Kraig Nienhuis but I am not sure when he arrived in Troy but am sure he left early.
                            Last edited by DrDemento; 01-21-2020, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 25+years View Post
                              I am also on HCTZ and Lisinopril and recently got over a bad cold. There were times when I was lying on the couch and would get orthostatic when I stood up. I never passed out, just very brief dizziness. This also happened during the summer when I would lie outside in a hot day. I checked my blood pressure and my pulse and nothing really changed. So I suspected dehydration as my cold is over and it stopped. Be careful with electrolyte replacement if your kidney function isn’t the best. And always when changing position sit for a minute before you stand to make sure you are ok before you walk away from a chair or the bed.
                              Remember that almost all of these medications are now generic and made in various places (often by Ranbaxy and Sun pharmaceuticals). There have been numerous reports of variability in the amount of active ingredient reported in some of these and it is possible that sometimes you might be taking the correct dosage and sometimes not. Any variance in dosage of Lisinopril or HCTZ can cause some problems. Dehydration is of course possible but the medications themselves can be part of the problem. I can relate a personal example of this with these exact medications that caused me to suffer a very similar problem which was not from dehydration.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
                                So exactly who were the Baby Bulls? I'm going to assume that G. Townsend was one of them; I can remember him coming down the stairs at BARH and having to move aside to let that huge mass of muscle pass me, circa 1988.
                                As far as I recall, that was in reference to the entering D, Steve Moore, Ryan Kummu, Rob Schena, and Rod Brescia.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X