Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI Hockey 2019 - 2020 Part II: Moving on with 2020 Vision!

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
    Sophomore Owen Savory stops 25 of 26 shots for his third straight win. His shutout streak ends at 196:25, just 1:06 shy of the school record held by Joel Laing '00.
    Laing had a few other long shutout streaks and Savory's still a sophomore. We haven't heard the last of him in this department.

Comment

Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
      1980's- Richie Glassberg, who could make coffee nervous, and his sidekick "the voice of reason" Dave Simon. Legend has it that one night Glassberg got so revved up at UVM when RPI gave up the first five then scored the next eight that he passed out. Supposedly, he was revived when the rest of the crew carried him outside and threw him in a snowbank.
      I remember listening to Glassberg's call of the John Carter overtime goal against Minnesota-Duluth on WRPI. He was a good broadcaster.

Comment

• Originally posted by tony/troy View Post
        From those of us old fashion enough to not trust ANYONE with their credit card numbers except the most established of retailers and just listen to hockey on WRPI, a shout out is warranted to the newest student addition to the stable of RPI broadcasters. Joe, despite very limited play by play experience, called an excellent game which was very easy to follow. A very good addition to what is almost certainly the best and deepest collection of RPI sports broadcasters ever.

No implication that there were not good ones in the past. The list of RPI radio broadcasters going back to day one, including time on commercial stations, has almost always had good broadcasters. The list includes:

1950's (before my time)- George Miller and Roy Schudt on WGY. Both men were far better known for their summer time work as race callers at Saratoga Harness. Schudt would later move on to larger tracks like Brandywine in Pennsylvania and them on the the west coast where he became a legendary voice of the sport. He is generally credited with coining the phrases "here they come- there they go" and "their coming for home"

Early 1960's (also before my time)- Ed Dauge while a student at RPI. Eventually, everyone in the Capital District knew who he was. Anchored the news at one time or another for ALL THREE local network affiliates that existed for the bulk of his career.

Rest of the 1960's- Paul Midghall on WGY after his playing days were done. Very good announcer.

1970's- RPI Hockey was no longer on commercial radio but there were still the likes of Al Able and the absolute wackiest color guy there ever was in Marcelle LaPoint. As best as I know, Able never used his RPI degree. He took a sports writing job at the Troy Record and eventually ended up as a sports editor at a big city Canadian paper.

1980's- Richie Glassberg, who could make coffee nervous, and his sidekick "the voice of reason" Dave Simon. Legend has it that one night Glassberg got so revved up at UVM when RPI gave up the first five then scored the next eight that he passed out. Supposedly, he was revived when the rest of the crew carried him outside and threw him in a snowbank.

1990's- Some of the very good current day guys like Kurt and occasionally Rob were first heard. Former standout announcer Jayson Moy also first showed up at in this time frame.

2000's- Pretty much highlighted by Tim Heinman. Like Able earlier, also did not become an engineer. Can presently be heard doing various games for the ESPN networks and as the voice of the double A affiliate of the Mets in Binghamton. Pretty good resume for a career that is still in its' early stages.

Hope I did not leave out or forget anyone. Regardless and as good as those listed above were in their time, the golden age of RPI sports broadcasting is RIGHT NOW. Previously, there just plain and simple was not the depth there is these days. You have Perry (mens' and womens' hockey as well as baseball), Kurt (football and occasional mens' hockey), Jeff (mens' hockey and baseball), Ed (some football and some mens' hockey, hopefully more in the future), Rob (occasional mens' hockey) and Yancey (everything but hockey with mens' basketball on RPI TV to boot). Based on the work done by Joe at Brown hockey game earlier, the impressive current day stable has one more positive addition. Of course, it also does not hurt that a very small spattering of less than stellar, not knowledgeable, unprepared and often not listenable types have now come and gone and are no longer on air.

Hopefully, there is now even enough depth that one of these guys may want to take a Florida "vacation" and broadcast the six Florida baseball games on radio or even RPI TV!!! It would sure beat live stats.
        Thanks Tony and everyone else. We try to air whenever we can and give the best possible broadcast. BTW, Tim doesn’t do games anymore as he took an engineering job in the Binghamton area last year
        Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
          Don't forget Tom Reale!
          I heard he went into politics.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
            I remember listening to Glassberg's call of the John Carter overtime goal against Minnesota-Duluth on WRPI. He was a good broadcaster.
            I watched that on ESPN. Didn't get WRPI down here over the air.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I agree, he was a fun listen when away from home. Another memorable call was the comeback win at Lynah that magical season. Pretty sure you could hear him and Dave without the radio in the last 5 minutes...

In a quick youtube search, found this, which is new to me from the 1994 BRF - highlights Ed Dague, for those of you who haven't seen him before, and a ridiculously young Al Shibley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUDv53rCW6E
              Class of '93

16 years at Section 9, Row D, Seats 1-4

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post
                I wonder if it was related to the decision in the Ed O'Bannon lawsuit a few years back.
                No. The player cards were years before the O'bannon case, which wasn't filed until 2009. Like Ralph, I was told that they were discontinued because of NCAA rules but I never knew why. Then again, the NCAA is legendary for its inconsistent and capricious rules interpretation and enforcement.

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post
                  I agree, he was a fun listen when away from home. Another memorable call was the comeback win at Lynah that magical season. Pretty sure you could hear him and Dave without the radio in the last 5 minutes...

In a quick youtube search, found this, which is new to me from the 1994 BRF - highlights Ed Dague, for those of you who haven't seen him before, and a ridiculously young Al Shibley.

Wow! That’s both great & sad. My 1st game was a BRF 15 yrs ago & I was hooked.. If I went for the 1st time now I’ld just shrug my shoulders.
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                    No. The player cards were years before the O'bannon case, which wasn't filed until 2009. Like Ralph, I was told that they were discontinued because of NCAA rules but I never knew why. Then again, the NCAA is legendary for its inconsistent and capricious rules interpretation and enforcement.
                    The intrigue deepens. I found what appear to be NCAA bylaws that mention trading cards (see page 74) https://profastpitch.com/wp-content/...ligibility.pdf

12.5.1.1.4 Player/Trading Cards. A member institution or recognized entity thereof (e.g., fraternity, sorority or student government organization), a member conference or a noninstitutional charitable, educational or nonproft agency may distribute but may not sell player/trading cards that bear a student-athlete’s name or picture. (Adopted: 1/11/94 effective 8/1/94)
                    You are correct that this pre-dates O'Bannon, but this excerpt would appear to allow free trading cards to be distributed, but not sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      I watched that on ESPN. Didn't get WRPI down here over the air.
                      Your mother must not have sent you to bed during the first overtime. ;-). Snuck in some headphones to listen to the radio

Comment

Your mother must not have sent you to bed during the first overtime. ;-). Snuck in some headphones to listen to the radio
                        She was in NY, and I was in DC.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by ServinisScores View Post

I watched that game in bar in Georgetown along with other RPI and UVM alums. My only memory is that a lot of good looking, but tall, women attended Vermont.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Guess I’m the only poster in here who was actually at Joe Louis Arena watching the game in person. I remember my friends and I had dinner reservations for 11 PM and never showed up because the game ended around 11:30. Never was so nervous in my life watching the OT’s.

Comment

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
                              Guess I’m the only poster in here who was actually at Joe Louis Arena watching the game in person. I remember my friends and I had dinner reservations for 11 PM and never showed up because the game ended around 11:30. Never was so nervous in my life watching the OT’s.
                              DrD was there.

I was nervous and I watched it on ESPN the day after it was played. I figured that maybe I had not heard the result correctly.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                                I listened to both games over the weekend. It came as no surprise to me they lost to Yale. But one thing caught my attention. All the talk of Savory and how good he is and chasing the record and all. Why, over the last three weekends and the three wins he got, was he the starter against the lesser ranked team each weekend? St. Lawrence, Colgate, and Brown. Not in net against Cornell, Clarkson, or Yale. I doubt that is a coincidence. And while you want standings points, wouldn't beating teams above you be a desirable thing? If Marshall or Calvaruso could have beat Brown or Colgate or St. Lawrence, wouldn't it have been preferable to throw your hot goalie at the better teams? So, who plays against Union now? A team that will be very, very hungry for a win. A non standings game. My guess? Marshall.

Comment

Working...
                                X